• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD
    Just for reference, what is involved in switching a Non FA Upper to a FA upper? Just swapping parts from one to the other? or is it more involved? Headspacing etc?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just for reference, what is involved in switching a Non FA Upper to a FA upper? Just swapping parts from one to the other? or is it more involved? Headspacing etc?

Simple swap-over.

ETA: You may have to swap bolt carriers if your current one doesn't have the cuts for the FA to engage on.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    OK... I find that funny.... Not much with firearm sites until we moved to MD, but I have been seen regularly on trad archery sites.... and been involved in innernet dust ups... this is a classic whine ass. Good to see there are people who do not follow his steps and even offer differing opinions... but he probably missed that.

ps I am too new with ARs to voice an opinion on FAs, got one without and several with... I aint no operator and do not pretend to be one.. I just like making them go bang, er ah pew pew...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I never knew I was such a second rate smith till he set me straight. ;)

Well, only a 2nd rate 'smith in a shitty little gun shop would have such a steady supply of work that they have to turn people away at times due to the backlog of customer guns waiting to be worked on. :)

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Hell hath no fury like a... uh... newb scorned...

If only he knew the wealth of knowledge he was alienating (both individually and forum-wide).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Soul Rebel has a case of butthurt, bigger than a super duper double dong. n00bs deserve a chance to defend themselves on MDS, not bitch about things they don't know about on AKFiles or ARFCOM. FFS...

Feb 28, 2013
    There's a politics section? On its on like Donkey Kong. :)

Hell, that's why I wanted you to join us to begin with.:lol2:

Even better, we don't moderate it. So if you can come with some foul language that clears the censor, it's GTG.

There's plenty of libtards and libertarians ripe for the offending.:D

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    An AR without a Forward Assist is a range toy.

An AR does not have a reciprocating charging handle (Unless Modified) so if you get a popped primer and the bolt is slightly out of battery (Jammed) then you cant get the upper off without removing the buttstock or mortaring the rifle.

Range toy? Ok, so the M-16 (without FA) was a range toy. There are other ways to get the bolt into battery e.g. pushing the scalloped portion of the bolt forward. The FA is there to gently assist getting the bolt into battery. Anything more is not what was intended. JMO for what it's worth.

Check out this article for pros and cons: http://www.gunsandammo.com/tactical/ga-perspectives-need-ar-15-forward-assist/undefined

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom