• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    So straight to the point: If you lived in an apartment, where the walls are most likely sheetrock, would it ever be smart to pull out the AR-15 for things that go bump in the night? I know that a .223 round will go through several drywall sheets, smoking a neighbor two doors down while trying to shoot a bad guy would most definitely end in a long stay in jail. What would you do in this hypothetical situation? Let's say you have realistic combatives training, would hand-to-hand be a better option? Louisville Slugger? Pepper spray? Taser? What about fortifying the apartment with security film on the windows, anti-kick plates on the doors, and a DIY alarm system? Basically, if you lived in an apartment, and someone decided to jack your TV at 3am, could you go for the AR in good conscience?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    You run the risk of pentration on anything powerful enough to kill a human.

Most "Swat" teams are using AR's as entry weapons. I'd imagine they've invested some time and energy into "libilities" and have decided it's okay to use.

Multiple holes in vital organs are likely to help you in a life or death self defense situation. How you create those holes are up to you.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What about fortifying the apartment with security film on the windows, anti-kick plates on the doors, and a DIY alarm system?

Straight answer? If you need that level of security, are you really living in the best area you can afford? I've lived in some sketchy spots and would have never considered these kind of measures. If you're in reasonable fear for you life, you may take appropriate measures to stop the threat.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wouldnt be my choice, though for years I kept a Remington 7615 carbine under my bed, from a penetration perspective it might as well have been an AR.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I have thought about this and I live in a single family home. Decided to top off the AR mag with varmint grenades. If I burn through them and need to keep shootin', over penetration is the least of my worries.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    So straight to the point: If you lived in an apartment, where the walls are most likely sheetrock, would it ever be smart to pull out the AR-15 for things that go bump in the?

Kilroy,

Joppaj way not want me to share this with you, but have you ever heard of the "REDNECK TECHNICAL"??

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Straight answer? If you need that level of security, are you really living in the best area you can afford? I've lived in some sketchy spots and would have never considered these kind of measures. If you're in reasonable fear for you life, you may take appropriate measures to stop the threat.

I chose not to live in the best area I could afford. The plan was to have extra money for doing things like dates and range time instead of blowing 2k on rent. That said, I'm not worried about anyone breaking in, and I'm not in fear for my life. I live in a quiet area, no worries. I'm not stupid though, I want to be a very unattractive target just in case I come up on anyone's radar.

The reason I don't like a 1911 or shotgun solution is that any guns I own are primarily for fun. I haven't found a shotgun I like (except the new Keltec unobtanium one) Eventually I'll get a 9mm, and I know there are drywall safe-ish rounds for that. Buckshot still goes through a few layers of drywall, just so you guys know that.

The main idea here is, would it be a horrible idea to grab an AR in an apartment, even if your life might be in danger?

What specifically is a varmit grenade? Is that those 45 grain super hot rounds? Can you shoot it safely out of a 1:7 twist barrel?

Redneck Technical? I'm interested, please continue.

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    An Ar loaded with Noslers is my choice, racking the slide on a 12 guage might scare a 12 year old girl but someone with bad intentions it only gives away your position and lets them know what you got. Id prefer to have something controllable that i can put alot of rounds on target quickly one handed if needed so i can dial 911 and talk them in.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    D) all of the above. But I'm tactically qualified to perform extraction missions at the Gap.

Signed,
    Gecko45.

I'm not really planning on shooting anyone, I know odds of that are 0%. I just wanted to start a conversation about using an AR for self-defense, if it's even a realistic solution that should ever enter someone's mind. If you live in the country, in a brick house, sure, why not?

In fact, if I lived in the country, I would have a golf cart with modified surplus Shrikes for any anti-armour work.

Signed,
    SPECOPS

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    home defense

My favorite bedside weapon is a Taurus "Judge" with 6" barrel, loaded with Winchester PDX-1 shot shells. Your longest shot in home defense will probably be no more than 25 feet. The 3 discs and 12 BB's in the PDX-1 shell will sure as hell put a hurtin' on a bad guy but most probably will not have much punch after penetrating two sheets of drywall. I just put the Whammy on a groundhog in my garden, at about 30 feet using the Judge, down and out!

Attachments

• CIMG0723.jpg
      CIMG0723.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 766

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    An Ar loaded with Noslers is my choice, racking the slide on a 12 guage might scare a 12 year old girl but someone with bad intentions it only gives away your position and lets them know what you got. Id prefer to have something controllable that i can put alot of rounds on target quickly one handed if needed so i can dial 911 and talk them in.

I guess the poster that recently had his home broken into would not agree with you, in that is exactly what his wife did, as the perps went scurrying out the door. Most intruders want loose change to buy more crack, not a butt full of lead shot.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=780079&postcount=1

I'll pick up the phone, when it's done.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    In all honesty, a carbine or shotgun is too long to move around houses with. Preferred for if you can just sit tight in a room, but if you have to move for whatever reason the length is going to be a downside.

So, having said that. An AR is fine because you can figure out your defensive spot in the room and reinforce the wall behind. Just because a wall is drywall now doesn't mean it has to be forever.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    yes, it's ideal. 30 rnds in something very manageable. In gel test, a light/fast .223 HP through drywall penetrated around 9" and was already tumbling, while 9mm still penetrated 12+". My ar is loaded up with 30 53 gr hornady superperformance rounds. I've tested for reliability(perfect) and velocity(fast). Their ballistic tip should aid in them coming apart through barriers. The .223 can also go through IIIA, which sounds stupid and unrealistic...but some criminals have taken to wearing body armor for hot robberies.

oh yeah....
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25502

...this is a good one too....
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot12_4.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads