• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    First off, sorry if this isnt in the right category, i dont really know where to ask.

I just bought a stripped ar15 lower to start my first build. I would like to go with a 12.5" barrel and a pistol brace on the back. Is that still considered legal in maryland? If its over 26" OAL? i have tried to read up on it as much as possible and its confusing me to say the least. From what i understood it was no longer a pistol if i had a brace and a barrel that long, now it would be considered a firearm. I know i can SBR it eventually if i want to put a stock on it but i would prefer to legally avoid that for now if possible. it seems legal federally from what ive learned but wanted to double check here before i waste $$$ and have to SBR it anyway. Can someone lead me in the right direction to find that info.

If you decide to SBR it one day, it has to have an overall length of at least 29" (with stock fully extended) in MD. The 12.5" barrel shouldn't be a problem for that though - I can confirm that an 11.5" barrel with B5 stock meets the OAL requirement. Going the SBR route has its drawbacks (must notify ATF before traveling out of state, $200 tax tamp cost, processing time, fingerprints, engraving, etc.) The benefits are that you can install more stable shoulder stock options and can legally mount a vertical foregrip. As others have posted, adding a brace and going the pistol route would be the easiest/most cost effective option. Hope I didn't stray too far from your question, good luck!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    not only as they say but always good to build up an AR lower as a pistol FIRST cause you can go Pistol to Rifle but if you built it as a rifle first, then you can't go Pistol from an AR built FIRSt as a rifle. Simple huh?

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    thanks everybody

was torn between that 12.5" upper or a 16" hbar upper. I probably chose wrong but went with the hbar. i want to have something for shooting yotes and foxes (i shoot with a 12 gauge sometimes) and dont have the money for 2 guns so 16" rifle it is. the 12.5 would have probably been fine for shooting the distances i shoot but i know how loud shorter barrels are and im not hunting with earplugs. my ears hate it.

I'll get used to the platform and maybe in a few years set up a pistol for my second build.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    not only as they say but always good to build up an AR lower as a pistol FIRST cause you can go Pistol to Rifle but if you built it as a rifle first, then you can't go Pistol from an AR built FIRSt as a rifle. Simple huh?
    An individual building a personal firearm Does Not fall into the category of once a rifle always a rifle. People will argue all day about this but the fact is it’s your parts to move around as you please. If you were to buy a registered rifle then yes it cannot be made into a pistol. Your parts as you build them are not registered as a rifle or pistol. This is not a loop hole or even a gray area. I have had this conversation several times with different ATF agents and higher ups and it’s always the same answer. GL

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    6cb9734a7b4623fcd4df45e6f34caef5.jpg

Fully legal. I did my first build over the Christmas holidays. 12.5” Rosco build. Had to wait for the brace but I’m onto my 300 blackout now. Just trying to figure if I wanna do a 10.5 or 8” and if I wanna go back with Rosco or switch up and get a Faxon gunner barrel and a different bcg. Don’t mind the missing dust cover, waiting on my Strike industries covers to come in since I broke the pin on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom