• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    My 16" AR with Crapco collapsible stock ejects forward at roughly at 2 o'clock and is beating the hell out of the brass on the case deflector. Originally it contained a regular carbine buffer, but after swapping that out for a 9mm buffer it continues to do the same. Overall function was unaffected, and the bolt still locks back on the last shot.

It has an o-ring on the extractor spring, which I'm considering taking out.

What else am I overlooking?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its quite normal my friend. You will likely be chasing a phantom if you want it to go away.

Reducing the Ejector Spring strength will make it eject more forward, but you may get some failures to eject.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ejector spring/ ejector.
    Yup.

The extractor spring and supplemental O-ring merely ensure a secure "hook" on the case rim and have nothing to do with ejection path, other than holding the case where it should be until it clears the ejection port.

To reduce your ejection power, trim a coil or two at a time off the ejector spring until ejection is slightly less vigorous. Might want to buy a spare spring before modifying the working spring you have.

As Ab_Normal suggests, it IS working as intended, and something that already works fine may not need a lot of fixing. I'd bet we ALL have some brass on our case deflectors....The system is designed to work under a rather wide variety of conditions, some less than ideal, and you may not want to fine tune it for one condition with the possibility it may fail under another.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    on my brass deflector, i put black rtv silicon to prevent brass damage for future reloading. works great so far. never notice it usless you look real hard at it. one person noticed it at the frostbite shoot.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Yup.

The extractor spring and supplemental O-ring merely ensure a secure "hook" on the case rim and have nothing to do with ejection path, other than holding the case where it should be until it clears the ejection port.

To reduce your ejection power, trim a coil or two at a time off the ejector spring until ejection is slightly less vigorous. Might want to buy a spare spring before modifying the working spring you have.

As Ab_Normal suggests, it IS working as intended, and something that already works fine may not need a lot of fixing. I'd bet we ALL have some brass on our case deflectors....The system is designed to work under a rather wide variety of conditions, some less than ideal, and you may not want to fine tune it for one condition with the possibility it may fail under another.

...am afflicted by if it ain't broke it needs fixing disease ;)

Really the only reason I wanted to modify the ejection direction was to make the empties easier to catch, but that's not a good enough reason to risk messing up the reliability.

Thanks guys!

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    I thought the cases ejecting at 1 or 2 o'clock was an over gassed system. Sounds like that is not the case?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I thought the cases ejecting at 1 or 2 o'clock was an over gassed system. Sounds like that is not the case?

That is a general rule if the gun is not functioning properly otherwise.I would check the case rims to see if they looked like they were being deformed to get a better feel for the gas issue. If it looks like the rim is being set back by the extractor then there is too much pressure in the bolt carrier while the pressure is still high in the barrel/case. Polishing the chamber may help some as would increasing the reciprocating mass of the carrier/buffer. I would try polishing the chamber first since the heavier mass can possibly accelerate wear from battering at the lock-up end.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That is a general rule if the gun is not functioning properly otherwise.I would check the case rims to see if they looked like they were being deformed to get a better feel for the gas issue. If it looks like the rim is being set back by the extractor then there is too much pressure in the bolt carrier while the pressure is still high in the barrel/case. Polishing the chamber may help some as would increasing the reciprocating mass of the carrier/buffer. I would try polishing the chamber first since the heavier mass can possibly accelerate wear from battering at the lock-up end.

Excellent Advice!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom