• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Why is the latch on the left side of charge handles. Being a right handed shooter, like most folks, this has always annoyed me. I find it much easier, when shouldered, to run it one handed with my strong hand and keep my left on the fore-end. This would be much easier with the latch on the right side of the handle. Keeping my strong hand on the pistol grip and running it with my left hand feels akward.

A) Am I in the minority here?

B) Does anyone sell charge handles with the latch on the right side?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Why is the latch on the left side of charge handles. Being a right handed shooter, like most folks, this has always annoyed me. I find it much easier, when shouldered, to run it one handed with my strong hand and keep my left on the fore-end. This would be much easier with the latch on the right side of the handle. Keeping my strong hand on the pistol grip and running it with my left hand feels akward.

A) Am I in the minority here?

B) Does anyone sell charge handles with the latch on the right side?

Several companies make ambidextrous charging handles. Do a Google search, you'll find video presentations also.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    it was designed with the thought of the soldier placing the stock against his hip, holding the rifle with his right hand and then using his left hand to charge the rifle. the left side charging is good for using the rifle in a quick manner, though the location of the handle is, well less than desirable. however quick manipulation can be achieved by keeping the rifle shouldered and using your left hand to reach up and draw the handle rearward, while moving your head to the left as to not smack yourself

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Your strong hand should always stay on the fire control. When trained and practiced it is quick and natural. Lefties have a gripe but not right handed shooters.

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    My right hand almost never leaves the pistols grip, so charging it with my left hand if the way I usually do it. If for some reason I do charge it with my left hand then the release button in under my right trigger finger which feels "natural" to me. Are we missing something about how you're charging your weapon?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    it was designed with the thought of the soldier placing the stock against his hip, holding the rifle with his right hand and then using his left hand to charge the rifle. the left side charging is good for using the rifle in a quick manner, though the location of the handle is, well less than desirable. however quick manipulation can be achieved by keeping the rifle shouldered and using your left hand to reach up and draw the handle rearward, while moving your head to the left as to not smack yourself

Understood, and I can run it left handed without ever de-shouldering, but it is awkward IMO.

Your strong hand should always stay on the fire control. When trained and practiced it is quick and natural. Lefties have a gripe but not right handed shooters.

I am going to respectfully disagree with this sentiment, and please note that I am speaking in generalizations, I realize there are exceptions. Historically, every rifle/shotgun was designed with the right hand shooter in mind correct? Almost without fail, from flintlock, to bolt action, to modern day arms, they are designed for strong hand cocking/chambering/charging.

Is this an enormous design flaw that only Stoner got right? Maybe, but I doubt it. I have practiced running as you suggest, but I think it will always feel awkward, but perhaps it's just me.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    I view the AR-type charging handle the same way that I view a slide on a semi-auto handgun. Dominant hand on handle and change condition with left (I'm a rightie)

The point that it may be natural to "rack" an AR with your dominant hand seems to indicate a preference for lever- or bolt-action type of operations.

As usual, these issues can be trained around or mod the AR with a ambidextrous charging handle:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=38895/Product/AR_15_M16_TACTICAL_CHARGING_HANDLES

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I don't want to come off sounding like I'm some sort of AR tactical guru because I certainly am not. I assume common thinking on how to run this gun has been an evolution based on it's design rather than an evolution of what may work best (though this leaves a lot to personal preference I admit).

So, is it really important that your right hand doesn't leave the fire control?

With a right hand latch I could run the charge handle without ever breaking cheekweld and the target never leaving my sights. I find this easier and faster than...Slightly cant rifle (so you don't hit yourself in the face) and run charge handle with your left hand.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    just change to something else all together different:

Attachments

• asa-ur-ftsc.jpg
      asa-ur-ftsc.jpg
      4.4 KB · Views: 414

mckkelso

Feb 19, 2009
    harford county
    charging handles are on the left side reaction side if ur a right handed shooter becasue its faster to clear a malfunction useing ur left hand than your right due to economy of motion right hand is for squeezing the trigger fire control left is for everything else

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    So, is it really important that your right hand doesn't leave the fire control?

You make a good point and ask a good question. Do what works for you. But, in my opinion, to answer the question: Not at the rifle range. In a tactical situation, or during tactical training, it's important. You want to keep the amount of time between identifying a threat and pulling the trigger to a minimum.

I often use my left hand to hold onto the rifle when I'm doing things other than shooting. During movement, when I need to use a hand, I use my right hand to do other things. Same for getting up from prone. I was corrected several times for it during tactical training. It's hard to unlearn.

jerielg

Old Guy
    Jan 10, 2010
    Paw Paw, WV
    I don't know why Stoner designed the latch on the left side. I do know that the manual of arms for the M-16 has changed over the years. In 1969 when I was trained on the M-16 we were taught to manipulate the charging handle with our right hands with index and middle fingers on each side of it. The current manual of arms makes more sense to me and seems much more efficient.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009

Never take your hand off the controls. If you are clearing a malfunction in combat, you need to be ready to shoot ASAP. It's instinct.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Never take your hand off the controls. If you are clearing a malfunction in combat, you need to be ready to shoot ASAP. It's instinct.

Yep. That is why. Sorry I left out the most important part. Also if you are training to use your rifle then you should be setting up these malfunction drills and practicing them until they are part of your muscle memory.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You arent meant to use the charging handle except for clearance drills and initial charging. The Bolt Catch is what you manipulate.

RussD is correct, you do not remove your fire control grip, wether it be carbines, , ect.....

Many Right Hand shoters now get LH Bolt Actions to further this discipline.

Shotgun Reloads

Carbine Reloads

O.P. it seems you didnt start this thread for answers, you seem like you are convinced your way is the correct one. I recomend you get some training before you tell people how it is.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    O.P. it seems you didnt start this thread for answers, you seem like you are convinced your way is the correct one. I recomend you get some training before you tell people how it is.

This is not at all the case. I think if you re-read each of my posts you will find I made this clearly evident by stating that I am no AR tactical guru by any means. I'm just picking brains. Not trying to be argumentative and I'm certainly not telling people how it is.

Do you feel, or do you know that this design was intentional so people specifically would not take their hand away from the trigger? It does make make sense but I still find it a curiosity that it is an uncommon feature on most rifles, is it not?

Edit: Please note. Upon re-reading my own posts, one could have taken my disagreement with Rus D's posting to mean I didn't think it was important that the strong hand stay on the fire control. This was not my intent. My disagreement was with the quick and natural aspect. I have practiced this and it still feels awkward to me. Guess I should practice more.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    This is not at all the case. I think if you re-read each of my posts you will find I made this clearly evident by stating that I am no AR tactical guru by any means. I'm just picking brains. Not trying to be argumentative and I'm certainly not telling people how it is.

Do you feel, or do you know that this design was intentional so people specifically would not take their hand away from the trigger? It does make make sense but I still find it a curiosity that it is an uncommon feature on most rifles, is it not?

Intentional in the design or not, it is very effective. Does anyone have access to an old training manual?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    In 1969 when I was trained on the M-16 we were taught to manipulate the charging handle with our right hands with index and middle fingers on each side of it.

I guess this would lend to the idea that this was not what Stoner intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom