• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Hello,

Looking for input on the AR build i am completing. Started this sort of on a budget (and apart from getting hosed on the lower am doing well). I have about a dozen registered weapons and if it werent for 281 probably wouldn't have bought another now or in the near future; but, time is of the essence. I have always like the AR platform and have a Colt from many years ago that began life as an HBAR, but what the heck. Basically will be a SHTF/home defense/zombie outbreak/plinker (yes, I know, a disaster from the get-go). Looking for suggestions on rail accessories and optics, and since the build hasn't commenced yet and I can swap parts/return/resell suggestions on where to go different.

DPMS stripped lower (got hosed in Annapolis, still waiting, bona fide panic buy for $399)
    Complete 16" carbine upper from PK Firearms with DD quad rails installed
    PSA mil spec tube with MOE adjustable stock
    CMMG LPK

I can either shell out about another 350 now for other parts, or that much less the price of another stripped lower (which from what I see here would probably be from PSA and go through a different FFL). I have a bunch of 20 rounders, but would like to get some 30s, and I need a rear sight. Beyond that, another stripped or suggest some rail accessories (looking at forward grip and like the idea of a laser), I want optics (but cant justify 400+ for an EOTech), and i am not averse to upgrading current parts....

So any suggestions from collective wisdom? (I am starting to lean towards getting as many stripped lowers as I can as fast as I can)

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Like the guy above said, buy another lower or two right now and just finish your current build later on down the road.

If you want to finish your current build, I would suggest the fallowing.

Rear Sight - Check out the YHM Flip Up BUIS. It's right in between the Magpul BUIS and the Troy BUIS. You can find them for around $75. They are pretty rugged, made of aluminum and there are no springs that can break. It get's very good reviews and I can attest to them.

If you want some 30 round Mags, I've seen some websites with some Lancer AWM 30's in stock. The Lancer AWM is arguably the best AR magazine going.

Lastly, I know it's hard spending money on optics. Trust me, I get it. I would much rather spend $400 on some ammo or to go towards the purchase of another gun. It took me so long to drop the money on a good quality Red Dot but once I did, there is no way in hell, I could ever go back to on of the cheaper units such as the Vortex Sparc or the Primary Arms. If you look hard enough, you can find some good deals out there. I found a brand new Aimpoint Pro for $360 shipped. It comes with a mount that gives you the option of a lower 1/3 or a Absolute sight picture so you don't have to worry about dropping more money on a mount. Aimpoint currently makes the best Red Dot for SHTF in my opinion. The battery will last 4 years if you never turned it off and in certain situations such as home defense, you don't want to have to worry about turning your optics on. With an Aimpoint, you don't have to worry about it breaking from a fall, losing zero or malfunctioning because it gets wet. Most importantly, you don't have to worry about the red dot moving around every time you move your head. The dot always stays in the center and there is a technical term for this, I just don't know it. In the end, you know as well as I. You get what you pay for. If you just want something for a range toy so you can shoot dirt clouds then yea, go with something else. If you want something you can depend on with your life then spend the money on a battle proven product.

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    I would agree with lowers too because with 281 you are still able to complete the rifle from a stripped lower after oct 1st right? I have seen some concern that because the lower was not built into a rifle prior to oct 1st that lowers after could only be built into regulated pistols...

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I would agree with lowers too because with 281 you are still able to complete the rifle from a stripped lower after oct 1st right? I have seen some concern that because the lower was not built into a rifle prior to oct 1st that lowers after could only be built into regulated pistols...

The burden of proof is on the state to prove when you completed the rifle. I still don't see anywhere in the bill it says this. If you have the registered lower and they approved your paper work for the lower then it's yours to do whatever you want with it.

Nowhere in the bill does it say a lower receiver must be transformed into a complete rifle prior to October. The lower is already considered a registered and regulated firearm and as long as you purchased it prior to October, you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Hello,

Looking for input on the AR build i am completing. Started this sort of on a budget (and apart from getting hosed on the lower am doing well). I have about a dozen registered weapons and if it werent for 281 probably wouldn't have bought another now or in the near future; but, time is of the essence. I have always like the AR platform and have a Colt from many years ago that began life as an HBAR, but what the heck. Basically will be a SHTF/home defense/zombie outbreak/plinker (yes, I know, a disaster from the get-go). Looking for suggestions on rail accessories and optics, and since the build hasn't commenced yet and I can swap parts/return/resell suggestions on where to go different.

DPMS stripped lower (got hosed in Annapolis, still waiting, bona fide panic buy for $399)Ouch, but some paid more
    CMMG LPK

I can either shell out about another 350 now for other parts, or that much less the price of another stripped lower (which from what I see here would probably be from PSA and go through a different FFL). Although I like the idea of more stripped lowers, unless you are a DC you have to wait 30 days between purchases, which has turned into 30 days plus MSP wait time (90 days)

I have a bunch of 20 rounders, but would like to get some 30s, and I need a rear sight. Beyond that, another stripped or suggest some rail accessories (looking at forward grip and like the idea of a laser), I want optics (but cant justify 400+ for an EOTech), and i am not averse to upgrading current parts....I'd wait on the "bling," a laser isn't something that many people do, and get some time behind your rifle as it is before you start making changes. You don't know what you want or need yet, so why spend money on things that you won't need, and that you can buy later. Others at the range will let you try out their rifles, its a way of showing off their hard work (although now-a-days I doubt they'll let you use their ammo). Range days are very social and you'll get tips on how to fire and see a whole lot of options to improve your rifle

So any suggestions from collective wisdom? (I am starting to lean towards getting as many stripped lowers as I can as fast as I can)

As others have said, the Aimpoint PRO is a great buy at 400, and a freaking steal at 360, but my recommendation to you is to just buy a rear sight (a good one, either the DD fixed, a MBUS (stock on colts now) or a Troy BUIS), and ammo and go and fire your rifle. Get used to mag changes, clearing jams, using your iron sights (not hard, but a good skill).

I had my first AR for six months before I changed a thing on it, and when I finally did it was just a hogue grip (granted I was a poor 16 year old, and there were not a whole lot of upgrades). Fast forward a decade and that rifle is still the way it is. My second rifle stayed 'stock' (Noveske base with SSA trigger) for 3 years, and just now have I caved to Red Dot Sights, ambi safeties, ambi charging handles and am toying with the idea of a VFG.

Long read, I might have lost you in the rambling, so in summary:

Buy a rear sight, buy ammo, shoot at ranges, re-evaluate what you have, buy new parts accordingly.

And welcome to the club.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    The burden of proof is on the state to prove when you completed the rifle. I still don't see anywhere in the bill it says this. If you have the registered lower and they approved your paper work for the lower then it's yours to do whatever you want with it.

Nowhere in the bill does it say a lower receiver must be transformed into a complete rifle prior to October. The lower is already considered a registered and regulated firearm and as long as you purchased it prior to October, you have nothing to worry about.

Once you complete the rifle do you have to register it or anything? The Lower I guess is registered once it gets to your FFL dealer. Does the state require anything else done when you turn a lower into a rifle?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Once you complete the rifle do you have to register it or anything? The Lower I guess is registered once it gets to your FFL dealer. Does the state require anything else done when you turn a lower into a rifle?

Nope. After you do the paperwork for the lower, it is already registered. After the state approves your application for the lower and it is in your hands, you are not required to do anything else.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    Nope. After you do the paperwork for the lower, it is already registered. After the state approves your application for the lower and it is in your hands, you are not required to do anything else.

but its ok that it is not technically a rifle at that point? This seems reasonable to me, but I feel like I've seen around here before that it has to be a registered assault rifle by 10/1 not just a lower.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    but its ok that it is not technically a rifle at that point? This seems reasonable to me, but I feel like I've seen around here before that it has to be a registered assault rifle by 10/1 not just a lower.

As long as you do not SBR it after 10/1 the lower is the complete firearm MD has no idea what you put on it after you are approved, going NFA is the only thing that would cause you to pop up on the radar.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    As long as you do not SBR it after 10/1 the lower is the complete firearm MD has no idea what you put on it after you are approved, going NFA is the only thing that would cause you to pop up on the radar.

What qualifies as a short barrel riffle again?

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    Hello,

DPMS stripped lower (got hosed in Annapolis, still waiting, bona fide panic buy for $399)
    CMMG LPK

I can either shell out about another 350 now for other parts, or that much less the price of another stripped lower (which from what I see here would probably be from PSA and go through a different FFL). I have a bunch of 20 rounders, but would like to get some 30s, and I need a rear sight. Beyond that, another stripped or suggest some rail accessories (looking at forward grip and like the idea of a laser), I want optics (but cant justify 400+ for an EOTech), and i am not averse to upgrading current parts....

If you are going to go with a 16", get a Mid-length over the Carbine.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Gotcha, I had seen some 14.5 barrels earlier, glad I wen't with a 16 then. What would I have to do if I did get a 14"?

You have two options with a 14.5 inch barrel. You can either get a flash suppressor pin welded to the barrel in order to make it 16" or you can do the ATF paper work and pay the $200 for the tax stamp.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    You have two options with a 14.5 inch barrel. You can either get a flash suppressor pin welded to the barrel in order to make it 16" or you can do the ATF paper work and pay the $200 for the tax stamp.

Gotcha, well its no biggie, really. I have no real need for a 14" barrel, I'm just glad I wen't with the 16 instead. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom