• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    A friend of mine and I are debating if a AR-9 lower needs to have a 7 day wait in MD. This is a dedicated glock mag lower, it can not be anything but a caliber that will feed from a glock mag. So it's not under the assault weapon ban best I can tell. My reading is that AR-15 lowers this is true but I can't find where it's the case for non assault weapon lowers.

I can see because it's not a pistol or a rifle so it must go through a FFL and the purchaser must be 21. Per the ATF.

Can you anyone point me to what I'm missing? Trying to learn.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    There’s only a wait on 223/556 lowers
    And Any lower can be built to a pistol regardless of whether it goes through the 77r process

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    There’s only a wait on 223/556 lowers
    And Any lower can be built to a pistol regardless of whether it goes through the 77r process
    Someone told me if you bought a COMPLETE LOWER, with a rifle stock on it, it could be transferred as a rifle, with the cash and carry background check. Is this true? I doubted it.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Someone told me if you bought a COMPLETE LOWER, with a rifle stock on it, it could be transferred as a rifle, with the cash and carry background check. Is this true? I doubted it.

I have heard of people doing that but it is not a rifle.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have heard of people doing that but it is not a rifle.
    What I was told, is since the lower receiver, is the serialized "firearm", once it has a RIFLE stock attached to it, it cannot be built as a pistol, and since MD only allows Hbars now, it can only be built with a Hbar barrel in 5.56/223 or another caliber. I don't mind going thru a background check, just the hassle of going thru the extended nonsense and being registered, for a Hbar rifle I want to build is absurd.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Depends on how the transfer was completed. As I said it’s not a rifle so on the 77r it’d be a lower and on the 4473 it’d be other /receiver.
    But if it was transferred to you from an ffl as a rifle then yeah your stuck.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What I was told, is since the lower receiver, is the serialized "firearm", once it has a RIFLE stock attached to it, it cannot be built as a pistol, and since MD only allows Hbars now, it can only be built with a Hbar barrel in 5.56/223 or another caliber. I don't mind going thru a background check, just the hassle of going thru the extended nonsense and being registered, for a Hbar rifle I want to build is absurd.
    AR9, not 15.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I have had some dealers tell me they required a 77R so that is floating around out there. I had even been told by one dealer that a glock mag lower is a 4473 only but if I were to then make it into a pistol it required voluntary registration. But there should not be a wait on those.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have had some dealers tell me they required a 77R so that is floating around out there. I had even been told by one dealer that a glock mag lower is a 4473 only but if I were to then make it into a pistol it required voluntary registration. But there should not be a wait on those.
    Manure.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If it, in theory, started out as a pistol, it can be converted into a rifle, then back to a pistol. RR said, if it was tranfered to you as a rifle(which would be incorrect), you are stuck. I have also heard from 2A lawyers that an improper designation on a transfer isn't binding, but who wants to go to court and find out?

Dedicated PC lowers do not require a 77r. 4473, yes. NICS, yes. Seven day waiting period, NO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom