• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The only problem I have is the pin striking the primers when extremely dirty.

The pin strikes, but not hard enough to set the round off.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008

I have had that problem too with steel cased ammo. I got a second firing pin and modifier it so it sticks out just slightly more, and it helped with the problem, but it still isn't perfect.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have had that problem too with steel cased ammo. I got a second firing pin and modifier it so it sticks out just slightly more, and it helped with the problem, but it still isn't perfect.

The easiest solution I found is to run the BCG wet. A little lube goes along ways :D

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    The easiest solution I found is to run the BCG wet. A little lube goes along ways :D

Yes I found that definately helps too. My one friend (who knows a good amount about guns, so he normally has good advice) told me to not put oil on the firing pin so that it won't collect dirt and slow down. I tried that, but it had many more light primer strikes than when it was oiled. Now I make sure to put plenty of oil on everything as I did before.

You guys are scaring me.

Hell, and I thought I had problems with my "AR-74"...

It's really not that bad. Other than the occasional light primer strikes when using steel cased ammo, I don't have many problems with my AR. I have 5 30rd and 3 10rd CProducts mags, and they all work perfcectly for me.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Well all else fails, there is always the "Spirit of the Bayonet" :)

Black is the 7.62X39
    Green is 5.56x45

Each were built between 500-600

AR15 Bayonet (2).JPG

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I already mentioned the cheap Bolt Carriers are the blame for this issue, mainly the Bolt Head. Get an MGI 7.62x39 Bolt Head and the problem will go away.

Also unshrouded BCG's and Notched Hammers will cause problems.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Working thru these problems right now. I put an extra power hammer spring in....did not help, then went with a Model 1 "enhanced" firing pin which helped some, but still get failures to set off Wolf Black box steel cased ammo. It performs well with American Eagle brassed cased 7.62x39. Too expensive now days. Just got a 5.4.x39 upper and will see what happens with surplus ammo. Price is right for the ammo. :sad20: Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Working thru these problems right now. I put an extra power hammer spring in....did not help, then went with a Model 1 "enhanced" firing pin which helped some, but still get failures to set off Wolf Black box steel cased ammo. It performs well with American Eagle brassed cased 7.62x39. Too expensive now days. Just got a 5.4.x39 upper and will see what happens with surplus ammo. Price is right for the ammo. :sad20: Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

This will make it run unless the Upper or Barrel is out of Spec.:

Rounded Hammer (DPMS or CMMG)
    M16 Full Shrouded BCG (BCM)
    MGI Enhanced 7.62x39 Bolt Head (Comes with Firing Pin)
    Colt 9mm Buffer
    Extractor Insert Kit

And if that dont work then a Polish Job to the Hammer, BCG, Bolt, Extractor, and Feed Ramps are in order.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I already mentioned the cheap Bolt Carriers are the blame for this issue, mainly the Bolt Head. Get an MGI 7.62x39 Bolt Head and the problem will go away.

Also unshrouded BCG's and Notched Hammers will cause problems.

Yes, you did :thumbsup:

Cleaning the AR after each range session helps tremendously.

I noticed the issue when I sat the rifle down after a range trip, thinking I would get back to cleaning, never happened. The next range trip, I pickup the rifle and notice "Oh, it's dirty", had a couple of dimpled primers when firing.

Now if it's clean, that's a whole new ball game, the number of rounds dimpled are even less.

The same holds true for an AR in 5.56 shooting the cheap steel cased ammo, as I said before.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Well my new outlook on life is to throw money at my problems. My time is worth too much to me or the family. Not that we are rich, but I want my toys to work and I don't have the time to make them work properly.

So, in that vein, I am looking at:
    http://www.mgimilitary.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7&products_id=25
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Auto-M16-p/bcm carrier with gas key.htm
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Charging-Handle-BCM-p/bcm charging handle ar15.htm
    and a semi complete
    http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=341

Are the barrels "model 1" uses any good? What about their other components, gas block, handguard?

Comments??

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Well my new outlook on life is to throw money at my problems. My time is worth too much to me or the family. Not that we are rich, but I want my toys to work and I don't have the time to make them work properly.

So, in that vein, I am looking at:
    http://www.mgimilitary.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7&products_id=25
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Auto-M16-p/bcm carrier with gas key.htm
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Charging-Handle-BCM-p/bcm charging handle ar15.htm
    and a semi complete
    http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=341

Are the barrels "model 1" uses any good? What about their other components, gas block, handguard?

Comments??

The model1 link is an SBR (11 1/2 inches)...
    You going to build an SBR? add $200 for the tax stamp, and $600 to set up a trust if you have a lawyer do it.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Took a look at M1 again and came up with this:

16'' AR15 C.A.R. Upper Half, 7.62x39mm, 1-10 twist, A2 flashider
    Item#: UCE167
    Options: A3 w/YHM flip rear sight: +$75.00|YHM flip front sight gas block: +$75.00|YHM free float 4 rail w/end cap: +$116.00 ~ 630

Are the E.R. Shaw barrels any good? Any opinions on M1 vs galatiinternational?

Still need charging handle, BCG, and magazines.

A little pricy. Might have to take my time on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom