• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sig Fan

Feb 15, 2011
    PRMD
    So, I'm getting some conflicting information regarding an AR style .22. The rifle in question is a Colt/Umarex M16 SPR in .22 caliber. Is this considered a regulated "assault weapon" in MD? On the list, I see #15 - "Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle", but no mention of caliber or M16.

I read an earlier post about how on some AR-22 the upper can possibly be changed out to a .223, but per Colt's website - "Colt .22 Rimfire Rifles are dedicated .22LR. The upper and lower cannot be swapped with non-Colt .22 rimfire rifles."

So, are there any .22 caliber rifles on the regulated list?

Also, why is the AR-15 Sporter H-BAR not regulated?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    .22LR AR-15 lookalikes are not regulated. It's only regulated if the lower receiver is the same as for a 5.56/.223 AR-15 and the rifle is convertible from .22LR to 5.56/.223 by swapping out the upper and magazine. One example is the CMMG M4LE-A .22LR, which has a standard AR-15 lower receiver. The 5.56/.223 lower receiver is what is regulated.

The Colt/Umarex .22LR AR-15 lookalike is not regulated, since it cannot be converted to 5.56/.223. Anybody telling you otherwise is wrong. If you've handled one, its guts are like a kid's toy. On a side note, the S&W M&P15-22(including A1) is less money and much more reliable.

An AR-15 H-BAR (sporter) with a 16" or longer barrel is not regulated, since it's not classified under law as an "assault weapon" or "assault rifle". Also read here, http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=50245, and here, http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=918296&postcount=31

Last edited:

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    They had a similar issue with the SIG 522 at first. It had to be "reviewed" and then deemed not a regulated firearm since it couldn't be converted. The 522 looks just like the 551/556 models and I guess that caused a review at first?:rolleyes:

Sig Fan

Feb 15, 2011
    PRMD
    I had to get my Umarex Colt M4 ordered at my local gun shop, so I essentially had a 'waiting period'.

I'm buying the rifle from out of state. I really don't care about a waiting period, I just don't want to have to pay for shipping to the FFL and then the FFL transfer fee.

Monkey - Did the seller require you to go through an FFL?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I'm buying the rifle from out of state. I really don't care about a waiting period, I just don't want to have to pay for shipping to the FFL and then the FFL transfer fee.

Monkey - Did the seller require you to go through an FFL?

ALL interstate transactions must go through an FFL. Don't go through an FFL and you're breaking Federal law and looking at Federal time.

And why not? The FFL pays to have a special license and regulations and charge you a nominal fee to transfer ownership. Gunshop owners are people too and have families to feed.

Sig Fan

Feb 15, 2011
    PRMD
    ALL interstate transactions must go through an FFL. Don't go through an FFL and you're breaking Federal law and looking at Federal time.

Please forgive me if I have some misinformation here, but I was under the impression that this was only for handguns and regulated long guns. For example - Can't I buy and M! Garand from the CMP and have it delivered directly to my house? If I drive up the road to Gander Mountain in York and buy a shotgun, I can't just bring it home to MD?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Please forgive me if I have some misinformation here, but I was under the impression that this was only for handguns and regulated long guns. For example - Can't I buy and M! Garand from the CMP and have it delivered directly to my house? If I drive up the road to Gander Mountain in York and buy a shotgun, I can't just bring it home to MD?

CMP is different I believe they are an FFL. Gander Mountain is also an FFL. That's completely legal. Any unregulated long guns can be bought from an FFL in a neighbouring state and bring it back.

Sig Fan

Feb 15, 2011
    PRMD
    CMP is different I believe they are an FFL. Gander Mountain is also an FFL. That's completely legal. Any unregulated long guns can be bought from an FFL in a neighbouring state and bring it back.

OK great! Thanks for the info.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    OK great! Thanks for the info.

CMP is the odd-duck in as much as they can ship direct to your door. Any other non-md-regulated gun you buy out of state must be purchased in person and brought back yourself, or otherwise shipped to a MD FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom