• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Hello everyone,
    I saw this kit on the centerfire website for sale at $299 but don't have any experience with this company. Can anyone comment on whether this kit is a good buy or low quality junk? I've seen what's available at the gun shows and it seems everyone has AR parts and kits available, and I'm afraid this kit from Centerfire might be one of the lower end parts kit that are made with low quality parts that break after a few years of shooting.
    thanks.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p...il&utm_term=0_a17d16ad3c-e7694d4b65-128224109

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are a Md resident, you'll need a pre-ban lower or change the barrel.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    The Barrel isn't Maryland legal post 2013, and the components are not quality.....it looks like a recipe for problems.....

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    When buying rifles/parts kits, consider what you want to do with it.
    Do you want a range toy to go shoot a box or two and find out if you really want that type of rifle? If it jams now and then and is not very accurate, will that ruin your day?
    If you want a tack driver that will run through hundreds of rounds without failure, you should consider what it is you are buying.

I use an R-Guns upper that cost me $200.00 shipped without Bolt Carrier and Charging handle for 3 gun. Hitting 6" plates @ 200 yards is not a problem and the gun runs. It is NOT the most accurate rifle on the range that day, but it does what I want. If I decide to find matches with 400 yard or more targets I doubt this upper would get the job done.

Oh and like it was already said, this barrel is NOT marketed as an H-Bar, so not legal in Maryland on a new lower.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a Stag receiver I bought back in 2006 and wanted to build it into a rifle I can use for recreational shooting, not for competition. However, I want a rifle that's reliable so I will pass up this offer since the parts look like low quality stuff. Besides, I like spending hours at gun shows perusing the offerings available. ;)

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If you only want a toy, why not go for it? It will get you going, show you how to put it together and you can upgrade the Fire Control group if you want.
    You could always take it to one of Clandestine's classes and find out what you really have and if it can be "Tweaked".
    If you look around you can spend over twice that price just for a barrel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Them parts are probably worth every bit of $300. In other words, I wouldn't.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    For a little more there are some decent budget kits out there.

PSA
    Delton
    Probably others

Not comparing them to BCM or other high end stuff etc but they tend to run well. I have had nothing but good luck with Delton and they run good sales.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Buy imitation Thomas’ English Muffins if you have to so you can buy vetted, known quality parts for an AR.

The other way around ain’t worth it.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If you only want a toy, why not go for it? It will get you going, show you how to put it together and you can upgrade the Fire Control group if you want.
    You could always take it to one of Clandestine's classes and find out what you really have and if it can be "Tweaked".
    If you look around you can spend over twice that price just for a barrel.

Exactly.

I must be the only one not putting 5k rounds a year through my rifle. I'm pondering that deal.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I've bought cheap BCGs and probably Chinese crap parts in the past, trying to build a cheap gun....and found the gun wouldn't run, stuff didn't go together and I was pulling my hair out. No more.....just my three cents...

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    That looks like a nice kit. The 1:7 barrel would be better suited to heavier bullets than the 55gr ammo I have, but I can reload. :)

I've bought cheap BCGs and probably Chinese crap parts in the past, trying to build a cheap gun....and found the gun wouldn't run, stuff didn't go together and I was pulling my hair out. No more.....just my three cents...
    This is what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want something that doesn't work and just gives me grief. Thanks for your input.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That looks like a nice kit. The 1:7 barrel would be better suited to heavier bullets than the 55gr ammo I have, but I can reload. :)

The tighter twist rate is fine for 55s.

This is what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want something that doesn't work and just gives me grief. Thanks for your input.

That kit I posted went into my stripped lower pretty easy. I couldn't get to the range today as I had prescription problems, but I'll be out tomorrow for a test flight.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Attachments

• snowlower.jpg
      snowlower.jpg
      98 KB · Views: 770

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Use and duty. I wouldn't be afraid to pick up some lower priced stuff to tinker with. There do seem to be a ton of really low priced stuff out there right now. About time to do an AR pistol...

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    The tighter twist rate is fine for 55s.

That kit I posted went into my stripped lower pretty easy. I couldn't get to the range today as I had prescription problems, but I'll be out tomorrow for a test flight.

How did it the kit gun shoot? I went ahead and ordered the kit from PSA and will try to shoot it when I get back home from work. The barrel was marked Freedom, so I'm assuming it was made by Freedom Arms. Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom