• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Can one purchase a standard AR-15 and walk out with it in the state of Virginia? Is the rifle registered to the owner? Virginia resident purchasing.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Can one purchase a standard AR-15 and walk out with it in the state of Virginia? Is the rifle registered to the owner? Virginia resident purchasing.

Yes. Buy it, pass background check, walk out. There is no registration in VA.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Be aware that Virginia has an assault weapons law requiring additional ID to purchase one. It's not a big deal, just annoying if you forget to bring that second ID. The way the law is written, an AR15 generally doesn't qualify as an assault weapon. Most dealers misapply the law (or do a CYA thing), and require the second ID even though a basic AR15 is not an assault weapon.

If you're wondering why it's written oddly, they simply copy and pasted the verbiage from the hunting laws. Hence, the thing about "equipped at the time of the offence". I've also gone round with dealers because I point out to them that all those spiffy pistols with threaded muzzles are technically assault firearms and should require the second ID, but that the AR15 they're requiring it for is not. Dark Sun is probably the flat out dumbest dealer at the Chantilly shows. Mouth breathers in the literal sense.

Funny story, also infuriating. I purchased a Tantal some time ago in VA, and it required the second ID (actually has a grenade launcher muzzle device). I had to go to voter registration office and get my ID as I didn't have one. It wasn't any where near an election, and the clerk asked me why all these people were coming in and getting their cards. I told her it had to do with VA law requiring proof of citizenship. She informed me they don't require proof of citizenship to issue voter registration cards, and will issue the card to any one no matter what because they didn't want to get in trouble for not issuing a card. True story, not second hand.

Transfer of an Assault Firearm

Proof of citizenship, or of lawful admission for a permanent residence, must be established prior to the purchase of an "assault firearm." An assault firearm is defined as any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of offence with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

One of the following forms of proof of citizenship or lawful residence, pursuant to §18.2-308.2 must be presented to purchase an assault firearm:

a certified birth certificate or certificate of birth abroad issued by the US State Department,
    an un-expired US Passport,
    a U. S. citizen identification card,
    a current voter registration card,
    a current selective service registration card,
    an immigrant or registration card issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and
    a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In the unlikely event I purchase a complete AR, I bring my passport along JIK. I prefer to buy stripped lowers (cash and carry here) and get the fixings I want.

Hansohn Brothers

Jul 3, 2012
    If someone forgets their second id for "assault weapons", we can check voter registration or Selective Service status online.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Follow up question. How about a WV resident. I think it's just a rifle but VA has some weird stuff like second ID for "assault rifles"

Unless it changed since I left WV in 2012, but buying an AR is just like buying any other gun. Background check and out the door. Have I mentioned anywhere here how I miss living in WV?:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom