• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    I want to buy a new Colt LE6920 online; My plan is to have it sent to a MD dealer to do the transfer and paperwork. I am told that I cannot have the rifle with 30 round mag sent to MD and the online merchant will not open the box as it comes from the factory and swap for a smaller mag before sending. Is my best option to choose a configuration of this firearm with a 5 round mag or is there another way to better handle this?

This would be my first online firearm purchase and advice is greatly appreciated.

Jibriel

Nov 7, 2012
    Howard County
    What online dealer are you using? Most should know the laws and will simply ship the rifle without a mag. Or you could email them or specify that you don't want the mag in the order instructions.

Seems like a lot of MD dealers have 6920s in stock too, if you aren't set on buying online you could check the Industry Partners forum.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I think one FFL can ship a MD FFL a rifle with 30 round mag, but the MD FFL just keeps it or sells it out of state.

Maybe talk to your FFL then them.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    I was looking at Buds, 30+1. Maybe I opened the can of worms by asking if they could swap it out. Ask and the easy answer is always no. I will check more on the forum.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I want to buy a new Colt LE6920 online; My plan is to have it sent to a MD dealer to do the transfer and paperwork. I am told that I cannot have the rifle with 30 round mag sent to MD and the online merchant will not open the box as it comes from the factory and swap for a smaller mag before sending. Is my best option to choose a configuration of this firearm with a 5 round mag or is there another way to better handle this?

This would be my first online firearm purchase and advice is greatly appreciated.

Just curious...why buy this firearm online? With all the transfer, mailing, and insurance costs are you still getting some unbelievable deal? Also, you are bypassing a real relationship with a MD FFL, which has its advantages....

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    Just curious...why buy this firearm online? With all the transfer, mailing, and insurance costs are you still getting some unbelievable deal? Also, you are bypassing a real relationship with a MD FFL, which has its advantages....

The local dealers did not have it available. The transfer and shipping cost is not too bad; Unbelievable deal? - don't know about that. comparatively a good deal - yes. Bypassing a real relationship -probably. I am not an everyday purchaser/shooter so that relationship is not a must for me.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    I think one FFL can ship a MD FFL a rifle with 30 round mag, but the MD FFL just keeps it or sells it out of state.

Maybe talk to your FFL then them.

The MD FFL I want to use would but does not have a replacement 20 RD mag available. I asked 'if I bought and had the 20 shipped with the firearm, could they swap it, sell the 30 and credit me' answer was that I would need a separate address for the 30 first. ?? I'll look at the industry partners.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Last gun show I went to had pmags (gen2) at $12, don't let that stop you.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    So are you saying buy one with the 5Rd and get what I need later? Just read in another thread that Keep shooting was not accepting firearms for transfer until further notice. Talked to their Sales a couple times over the last few days and did not hear anything about it?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Why make it complicated? If you buy the rifle out-of-state, have it shipped to your FFL with no magazine. Buy magazines elsewhere at your convenience. It's simple.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    PS if your are paying over $1050 shipped you are paying too much.

On top of that, there is significant value in seeing and handling the rifle before you pay for it. It could have obvious QC and/or manhandling issues. That's easily worth $100 to me, especially for an online seller with a lot of less-than-positive reviews.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Let the dealer keep the mag. It's 12 bucks.

PS if your are paying over $1050 shipped you are paying too much.

Agreed on both points. You should be able to get a 6920 for around $1000.

Examples: 1 (standard) and 2 (magpul FDE)

You can also post to the IP section on mdshooters and ask if any have some in stock. The tax should roughly equal the cost of the FFL transfer fees - so you shouldn't see too much of a difference there.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    On top of that, there is significant value in seeing and handling the rifle before you pay for it. It could have obvious QC and/or manhandling issues. That's easily worth $100 to me, especially for an online seller with a lot of less-than-positive reviews.

I was bumbed about getting a Garand that was described as being prestine but arrived a bit worse for the wear. However, I paid a premium for that finish and this is a Colt AR, it's not going to be a looker and its going to go BOOM when you pull the trigger (provided you fed it).

Feb 28, 2013
    Chances are the dealer you have the gun shipped to will have legal mags on hand and will swap it out for you.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    Chances are the dealer you have the gun shipped to will have legal mags on hand and will swap it out for you.

Looks like online merchant will not even ship to MD. Not trying to make it complicated, just want to be sure I don't end up getting screwed, then have to pay some BS restocking fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom