• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Free Radical

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 14, 2012
    yOur Nation's Capital
    So I'm looking to buy a Colt AR-15 A2 HBAR Sporter, since it is an unregulated firearm, though I've heard it's a bit hard to find a dealer that will sell one as unregulated. Kinda my only choice since I'm under 21 :P

If anyone knows where I should look, what I should be willing to pay (I know it may be a bit higher than usual now), and if there's anywhere in the state I can find it sold as unregulated, please do let me know. Any other information I might need is great as well.

Thanks in advance.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So I'm looking to buy a Colt AR-15 A2 HBAR Sporter, since it is an unregulated firearm, though I've heard it's a bit hard to find a dealer that will sell one as unregulated. Kinda my only choice since I'm under 21 :P

If anyone knows where I should look, what I should be willing to pay (I know it may be a bit higher than usual now), and if there's anywhere in the state I can find it sold as unregulated, please do let me know. Any other information I might need is great as well.

Thanks in advance.

not really only choice you have.. you can get any heavy barreled ar-15.. or better yet.. an ar-10.. :innocent0

Free Radical

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 14, 2012
    yOur Nation's Capital
    not really only choice you have.. you can get any heavy barreled ar-15.. or better yet.. an ar-10.. :innocent0

I had heard someone say—I think it was on this forum even—that the Colt HBARs are the only ones that don't have to be registered in the state. Maybe I misread, I'm clearly still a neophyte in this realm.

But AR-10, hmm… sell me on it. What makes it "better yet"?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I had heard someone say—I think it was on this forum even—that the Colt HBARs are the only ones that don't have to be registered in the state. Maybe I misread, I'm clearly still a neophyte in this realm.

308 version of ar-15 and still unregulated. ;)

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007

any HBAR is good to go in MD.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I was really surprised at work today by all the people telling me their going to the Frederick show to buy an AR this weekend.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland

Thanks in advance.

I am thinking of parting with mine it a safe queen , If I do I will pm you . I want the newer style colt with rail .

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    how is that, it's piston

But doesn't it have a lot of other characteristics that aren't really AR either. Bad choice of words on my part. Innards are not really AK but not AR either.

A friend had one that I shot and when he popped it open I noticed that the bolt was different not just that it was piston driven. The recoil spring is not behind the carrier. There were some other differences too. I think I remember that when he pulled out the charging handle the bolt came out the back and the piston went out the front, kinda held together with the charging handle?

I might be wrong on this. Maybe someone can set me straight.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I think I heard someone on MDS once say that the 556 was more like an AK and a FAL had a lovechild...

Yeh bolt is almost identical to the AK and the adjustable gas system is like the FAL. Quality AR is much better for the money in my opinion, Ive had 2 sig 556's Id take a 6920 any day over the Sig

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Yeh bolt is almost identical to the AK and the adjustable gas system is like the FAL. Quality AR is much better for the money in my opinion, Ive had 2 sig 556's Id take a 6920 any day over the Sig

I'm with you. Not a big fan of the piston ARs either... Give me a DI mid gas system and I am happy.

Sorry OP did not mean to derail your thread, but if you are looking into getting ur first AR... The hBar colt is where it is at for you, until you are 21...you can look at the ar-10s too (dpms lr 308 line is one of the most affordable ar-10s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom