• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Them is rookie numbers, hoss. I know members on here with at least 30 to 50 stripped lowers, just sitting on the shelf. I know of others that have sportsman's trunks full of AR, AK, Glock, etc... mags of standard capacity, just to hedge against another AWB/mag limit. Each trunk can hold a minimum of 75 AR/AK mags, well over that for pistol mags. They aren't using those mags for anything. Those mags are just sitting on the shelf for a rainy day.
    LOL, that's true. I need to up my game when it comes to lowers. I do however have tons of magazines for the same reason. I have magazines that I bought because they were a good deal, ones that I don't even have a firearm that they would fit. I have boxes and boxes of magazines hidden all over the place. In the attic, in the floors and walls, in cabinets, and under my socks in the dresser. Among other places. Most never used or even taken out of their original wrappers. If my wife knew how many magazines that I actually have, she would certainly declare me a hoarder. I am living proof of the traumatic side effects of gun-control in the post AWB world.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    LOL, that's true. I need to up my game when it comes to lowers. I do however have tons of magazines for the same reason. I have magazines that I bought because they were a good deal, ones that I don't even have a firearm that they would fit. I have boxes and boxes of magazines hidden all over the place. In the attic, in the floors and walls, in cabinets, and under my socks in the dresser. Among other places. Most never used or even taken out of their original wrappers. If my wife knew how many magazines that I actually have, she would certainly declare me a hoarder. I am living proof of the traumatic side effects of gun-control in the post AWB world.
    Why don't you start to put them all in one container for easier storage? This bin will fit nicely on a wire shelving unit from Costco.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Because most of what I said was for fun to make a point. I have them nicely stored.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Another thing that I forgot to mention earlier...

The very first AR15 that I ever bought was a stripped Bushmaster lower receiver around the year of our Lord 1992. I could not afford a complete rifle in those days. It took several months of fishing pennies out of my couch seat cushions to be able to complete the build. Then, in 1994 the "Assault Weapons Ban" happened. This banned combinations of certain features on firearms, like flash hiders, pistol grips, collapsing shoulder stocks, thirty round magazines, etc. For the simplification of this discussion, I will be using the term "ban" to mean banning those features and not meaning to ban complete types of rifles. There was a grandfather clause included in order to keep the conservatives from outright civil war. Not long after, the prices of pre-ban lowers started shooting up. It wasn't long before really crappy stripped sand cast junk lowers were selling for over $500 and nice lowers sold for over a grand. That is $1000 - $2000 today, adjusted for inflation. THAT'S JUST FOR THE STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER! I had a fantastic job while I was in collage back then. I was making $10/hr. Understanding sarcasm is key here. I used that same Bushmaster lower receiver for every AR15 upper that I had, FOR 10 YEARS, until the ban finally went away in 2004. Needless to say, that left a scar on my 2A psyche.

For this reason, I like to have enough flexibility to be able to keep on with my firearm hobby if politics ever went that far south again.
    Awesome story about saving you pennies for that $1k paper weight(blank lower) :) . Moral of the story is hoard rifles like everyone on MDS? :) buncha hoards w a capital HOAR.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    AR15 is "everything you might ever need". Reliability, durability, user friendly, adaptable, customizable, etc etc.

Can you esplain for dee other peeple here? Why would you be swapping and what? Ty
    The venerable AR15 is the grown man's Barbie doll. You can dress it/customize it any way you want.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Several touched on this but I’ll comment also. I’ve built all of the ones I have or had from stripped lowers. Two of mine are pre-13’ lowers which are useful because I can put any upper on them regardless of the dumb HBAR thing so I’ve got multiple uppers that could be used. I’ve also got a few in pistol configuration with braces that since last year are now SBR’s to the Feds but pistols in MD. All of mine are in 5.56. They all accessorize in infinite fashions to your tastes and desires.

Building out stripped lowers really doesn’t take more than about maybe 15 minutes at most once you have everything you need in front of you. Uppers I’ve just bought as complete units for simplicity and have bought online and had shipped door to door for years. Sites like PSA ship within days and are just easy.

As for shooting they are easy to learn and easy to teach. New shooters are on target quickly and accurately with irons and various holographics and red dots do make it even simpler.

All this simplicity, modularity, and overall reliability is why the platform has been the standard issue rifle of the US Military for 60+ years now, longer than any other rifle in American history.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate the detail. I know my level and patience for building is low. I did find a local place Hanover Armory, who builds MD compliant AR-15s for the customer. That interested me greatly. I think with the information the group has provided me here along with my own research, I think I'll go to Hanover Armory and talk to them about AR-15s. Thank you everyone!
    Hanover Armory builds low to mid range AR's but charges mid-to-high end prices. Go with the Zion, you won't be disappointed. If you do end up buying an HA build, ensure it's closer to the top end of what they put out. Their low end stuff is not worth it.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    Biggest concern about AR style weapons.
    From 400 to 4000 dollars
    They all go BANG. Over n over n over..
    For home defence?
    They're unwieldy, can't really ",hide" them.
    Don't fit in your nightstand or under your pillow.
    So personally there are many many better options for thst purpose

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I'm also considering a PCC for home defense. Saw a couple I liked, chambered in 9x19, which fits well with my pistols, plus the ammo's not too pricey. So, torn between the PCC with cheaper ammo and the AR's stopping power and versatility, despite the higher per-shot cost.

I'd consider going to a PCC first, so you only need ONE caliber of ammo in the house.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Biggest concern about AR style weapons.
    From 400 to 4000 dollars
    They all go BANG. Over n over n over..
    For home defence?
    They're unwieldy, can't really ",hide" them.
    Don't fit in your nightstand or under your pillow.
    So personally there are many many better options for thst purpose
    I don’t think hiding them is a concern for everyone. I’m going to guess there are plenty of folks who have one standing in a corner or under the bed. Also lots of concealment furniture options out there that hold rifles. There are also probably some with “truck” or car AR’s since in MD the pistol variants can be carried with our HGP like any other handgun.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    I don’t think hiding them is a concern for everyone. I’m going to guess there are plenty of folks who have one standing in a corner or under the bed. Also lots of concealment furniture options out there that hold rifles. There are also probably some with “truck” or car AR’s since in MD the pistol variants can be carried with our HGP like any other handgun.
    I understand your points.. But in a face to face encounter in the confines of a home.
    A handgun is easier to maneuver and less chance of having it grabbed from 3 feet away and muzzle wrestled away from needed threat direction

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I understand your points.. But in a face to face encounter in the confines of a home.
    A handgun is easier to maneuver and less chance of having it grabbed from 3 feet away and muzzle wrestled away from needed threat direction
    My AR’s are in safes, I’ve never had one at the ready outside of the safes, just commenting that a lot of folks do.

I’ve always been handgun for HD. I’ve got kids so nightstand safes are a must but even before kids and nightstand safes it was always a handgun in the nightstand.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    My AR’s are in safes, I’ve never had one at the ready outside of the safes, just commenting that a lot of folks do.

I’ve always been handgun for HD. I’ve got kids so nightstand safes are a must but even before kids and nightstand safes it was always a handgun in the nightstand

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I’ve always been handgun for HD. I’ve got kids so nightstand safes are a must but even before kids and nightstand safes it was always a handgun in the nightstand.
    That's my go to. G19 with TLR-1 in the nightstand safe. 20ga 870 with 7+1 in the closet safe just in case. 50+ other guns in the other safes. Cant be too safe when it comes to safe safety.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    That's my go to. G19 with TLR-1 in the nightstand safe. 20ga 870 with 7+1 in the closet safe just in case. 50+ other guns in the other safes. Cant be too safe when it comes to safe safety.
    Lol
    Can't be to safe if they're all locked up in safes.
    Never had a home intrusion.
    But here on the farm, by the time I see coyote in the pen or pasture after calf or chickens. And jump outa chair. Grab loaded gun out of the rack on way to the door.
    75% of the time it's too.late.
    I can only imagine home defense is just as quick

Happy Camper

MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2024
    Baltimore County
    I've got an M&P S&W 5" I just picked up today, nestled in my night stand right now. That will do for now I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom