• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Hello all,

I made a few posts some months back, got some great advice on an AR-15 precision build - near complete (aside from a scope). All's come together nicely, looks like the different parts are a good fit, with one exception. Doing a test fit, I can't seem to get the gas key end of the gas tube into the upper receiver. It's an aero precision upper, and I have two tubes - rifle length, one from aero precision as well. The receiver hole (square) has those four cloverleaf tabs coming in from each side. Looking at assembly videos, doesn't seem that significant force is required, haven't got out a mallet yet, but doesn't even go in partway. I've put in a question to aero precision, and haven't tried filing material away from the hole in the receiver yet. Is this a common issue? I know it isn't a barrel nut timing issue - I bought a HWK handguard, and their nut is low enough that the tube runs over it, not through. Ideas? Happened to anyone else?

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022

Attachments

• CE94CDE5-504E-4F0D-8D46-7DFFD86F1154.jpeg
      CE94CDE5-504E-4F0D-8D46-7DFFD86F1154.jpeg
      248.8 KB · Views: 137
    • 97F9A228-65C4-4BF4-9A79-DE1ABD97A0A4.jpeg
      97F9A228-65C4-4BF4-9A79-DE1ABD97A0A4.jpeg
      185.7 KB · Views: 179

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So you saying that ISN'T normal??? ;-)

Yeah, didn't seem quite right, but strong metal - no give at all.
    You could always drill it out. Personally I'd send in back to the manufacturer and have them make it right. Depends on how fast you want it running. Once the handguard is installed you'll never even notice the drill marks. It needs to be perfect though, you can't have much play with the gas tube going into the upper or you may have issues with the bolt carrier gas key hitting the tube. Also if you try to fix it there is no way they would replace it for you, most likely.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've done builds using Aero uppers and have struggled with them in the past. They're not my first choice for uppers, to say the least.
    Good luck with your build.

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Got on chat with Aero Precision, not having heard any email responses to my ticket, that got things rolling - sending me a replacement, no hassle to speak of - so they're trying to remedy the situation.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I had the same problem but my opening looked much better than that, there was just a little extra ceracoat in the opening, I took a rod of similar size to the gas tube and tapped it through to knock of the bit of ceracoat and gas tube fit. That gas tube opening is horrible I hope that was not a blem upper.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I just built a 300 blackout upper, 2 nights ago. The Aero Precision enhanced m-4 upper, was perfect. As was the Aero Precision gas tube and adjustable gas block. My problem, was the barrel nut. I know you said your barrel nut was fine, but my Stern barrel nut was too thick at its lowest point. So, I dremeled the nut down a bit, covered the bare metal, and it fit. I realize, that this wasn’t your cause, but, it’s good to know, that AP stands behind their products. I’ve always just used BCM upper receivers, and this was my first experience with AP. The Faxon barrel, I used, was an extremely tight fit! It’s not going anywhere!

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    I realize, that this wasn’t your cause, but, it’s good to know, that AP stands behind their products.
    I received a replacement upper from AP Friday - the cloverleaf is much better looking, and everything fits well. Looks like I'm all set for final assembly.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm still kinda surprised that you got an AP upper that had an issue - they usually have pretty danged solid QC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom