• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnytail

Dec 1, 2017
    It's advertised as a heavy barrel. That's one of two ways a barrel is qualified as a heavy barrel for Marylandistan (the other being that it is stamped as an HB).

Thanks for making it clear:clap:. It is not easy to learn all the difference:D

Any other online resource you will recommend we can buy the HBAR upper?

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    for the value minded buyer, Bear Creek Arsenal has a ton of heavy barrels for sale.

Classic Firearms also sells Bear Creek and usually has better prices. That is where I got mine and so far I really like it.

It all depends on what your application will be. These are NOT high dollar match barrels but are accurate for what I want - plinking and local 3gun.

Bunnytail

Dec 1, 2017
    for the value minded buyer, Bear Creek Arsenal has a ton of heavy barrels for sale.

Classic Firearms also sells Bear Creek and usually has better prices. That is where I got mine and so far I really like it.

It all depends on what your application will be. These are NOT high dollar match barrels but are accurate for what I want - plinking and local 3gun.

Much appreciated!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I will have look on both Classic Firearms and Bear Creek. I believe Bear Creek will be good enough for me. I know we missed lot of chances because of the HBAR limitation.:o

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    if you spend enough time researching and understand that the barrel must explicitly be stamped HBAR or have heavy barrel specifically written in the description, there are A LOT of options out there for those of us stuck in marylandstan. just be sure and keep the documentation to prove it.

i know i read a lot about white oak armament barrels as well. they are more match grade and have plenty of options in HBAR as well.

these guys on this thread really know what they are talking about. they were a huge help to me as i built my first. its alot of reading but seriously, take the time and go back and read this thread from the beginning if you haven't already.

Bunnytail

Dec 1, 2017
    if you spend enough time researching and understand that the barrel must explicitly be stamped HBAR or have heavy barrel specifically written in the description, there are A LOT of options out there for those of us stuck in marylandstan. just be sure and keep the documentation to prove it.

i know i read a lot about white oak armament barrels as well. they are more match grade and have plenty of options in HBAR as well.

these guys on this thread really know what they are talking about. they were a huge help to me as i built my first. its alot of reading but seriously, take the time and go back and read this thread from the beginning if you haven't already.

Marylandstan:D;)

I will go back and study more on the thread before making any decision and I did learn a lot even on this questionnaire. Thank again reminding about the documentation. Have a nice weekend.:beer:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Marylandstan:D;)

I will go back and study more on the thread before making any decision and I did learn a lot even on this questionnaire. Thank again reminding about the documentation. Have a nice weekend.:beer:

Bear in mind that the "must be advertised or stamped HBAR" is MSP guidance, therefor it is not a requirement and has no legal standing. There is also no legal or industry definition of what HBAR actually is.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    *water muddied*

;)

Bear in mind that the "must be advertised or stamped HBAR" is MSP guidance, therefor it is not a requirement and has no legal standing. There is also no legal or industry definition of what HBAR actually is.

THIS right here. i'm still way to new here to give the most correct advice. these are the guys i was talking about before. WAY more knowledgeable than me and gracious enough to share that knowledge. :bowdown:

Bunnytail

Dec 1, 2017

Noted all these down. So grateful you gave the summary of the MSP main points:thumbsup:. Really gained profit from the thread.:)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    THIS right here. i'm still way to new here to give the most correct advice. these are the guys i was talking about before. WAY more knowledgeable than me and gracious enough to share that knowledge. :bowdown:
    We do try.
    Noted all these down. So grateful you gave the summary of the MSP main points. Really gained profit from the thread.:)
    Damn Ferengi. Always talking about profit. What Rule of Aquisition does this thread fall under? :D

You're welcome. When you build enough rifles, you start committing things to memory. But the HBAR requirement pertains to 223/556 rifles. Alternate calibers like 300BLK, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 762x39, 9mm, etc... are exempt from the HBAR requirement.

Bunnytail

Dec 1, 2017
    We do try. Damn Ferengi. Always talking about profit. What Rule of Aquisition does this thread fall under? :D

You're welcome. When you build enough rifles, you start committing things to memory. But the HBAR requirement pertains to 223/556 rifles. Alternate calibers like 300BLK, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 762x39, 9mm, etc... are exempt from the HBAR requirement.

Gained benefits of being knowledgeable :D;)

Have a nice weekend. :beer::beer:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got my 6.5 Grendel 18” build to the range. It does NOT like wolf steel cases ammo. It was spraying 8 inch 10 round groups at 100yds. They tightened up slightly with round count. But by the time I left, maybe 6 inch groups. Not sure if the barrel was really rough from the factory or what.

Federal fusion 120gr started out with larger groups as well and tightened up a lot. Last two 5 round groups were 1” or somewhat less. The last one I want to say was about .75”

Hornady Black ELD-M was the other ammo I had with me. Not super impressed. I think I shot a 2” 5 shot group, another one about the same and then the last two were maybe 1.25-1.5” groups. Each seemed to have a single flyer that opened it up.

Either is certainly fine for a 300yd deer rifle which is what I was going for. I guess I was hoping for better from the steel cased ammo more than anything.

I guess I’ll see how it goes in a couple of weeks when I take it to the Eastern shore. Probably going to hit Delmarva sporting clays for some range time again.

First swab through the barrel after the range trip came out with a lot of brass flakes.

I feel like most new guns I shoot end up with a bit of that the first putting, but this seemed more than usual.

Any experience on things tightening up even more on the 2nd trip after a good bore scrubbing. I put about 100rnds through it, 20 each of the ELD-M and Fusion and around 60rnds of wolf bimetallic. A little wolf, then the fusion and Hornady alternating groups with them and then about 20 rounds of wolf to end the session.

Curious to see how other of my wolf 6.5 does. I bought 200rnds, 100rnds from two seperate batches a few weeks apart. Wasn’t expecting the world, but 3moa seemed probable.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What barrel/bolt is in the Grendel - Manufacturer?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ar10-barrel-20-308-stainless-6-5-grendel

Review #2 “nice barrel” under the link is almost exactly what I experienced (not exactly the same Barrel, but same manufacturer, 5r twist design). Though I didn’t do a cleaning in there till I was all done. I am very curious to see if things tighten up with all the ammo. It was pretty filthy with that first cleaning. Probably should have taken my cleaning kit and cleaned between each set of 20 rounds. Though I’ve never done that with any of my new rifles.

I can only figure it’ll tighten up even more with everything. I am still hoping the wolf steel cased tightens up a lot more. I don’t need 2MOA with it, but 3MOA would be nice. Able to hit 8 inch plates at 200yds with regularity would be nice.

I think I’ll grab a couple of boxes of SST and another box of fusion and spend a box of each of those and another of the Hornady Black when I go to the range prior to the late season to see if it has tightened up more and what works the best (hoping hornaday Black, cheaper is good! Lol)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Next question, a couple of comments on their barrels that I read in there (especially the 6.5 barrels) made mention that the feed ramps needed some polishing and that might be a source of improving accuracy (and use helps to polish them probably). Thoughts?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Next question, a couple of comments on their barrels that I read in there (especially the 6.5 barrels) made mention that the feed ramps needed some polishing and that might be a source of improving accuracy (and use helps to polish them probably). Thoughts?

We need pics of the used brass(and steel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom