• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I am finishing up my first ar15 and trying to find a 20' chrome lined or stainless barrel that has a pinned fsb already installed. Oh and it must be an hbar. The only ones I have found are from Top notch top ends. Their reputation is not the best. I am not sure what to do. Any advice.
    I just had a 20" White Oak SDM barrel installed on my grandfather's Rock River. There already was the original FSB, but I got the work done at Engage. Might wanna check with them about a White Oak barrel with fsb.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am finishing up my first ar15 and trying to find a 20' chrome lined or stainless barrel that has a pinned fsb already installed. Oh and it must be an hbar. The only ones I have found are from Top notch top ends. Their reputation is not the best. I am not sure what to do. Any advice.

Palmetto state armory has a 16" HBAR barrel with pinned FSB on there. $179 I think? That is the route I am considering for my 16" upper build.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Palmetto state uppers A2 are not heavy barrels correct?

A few of them are. Call or check the details. I've heard a few of their prebuilt uppers if you ask they'll swap an HBAR barrel in there for you (no clue on extra cost).

Also I just reread and saw you said 20". That cuts down the choices a lot for an HBAR barrel. Anderson may have one. Stoner (Midwayusa) has 20" SS HBAR barrels that are nice (what my AR is wearing). Not pined FSB though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I picked up a JP spring kit. I have a PSA enhanced trigger group in there. Trigger feel was decent. A little creep, but to me it feels more like a 2 stage trigger. At about 2lbs it would pull back smoothly maybe 1/16th if an inch or less, then a clean break at about 8lbs and a short reset, maybe 1/8" or so.

The regular PSA trigger that had been in there wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as smooth nor as predictable on when it would break. Far cry from my Sako trigger, but with the enhanced trigger group a nice improvement.

Anyway, that pull force is still causing me some accuracy issues. So when I was ordering some other stuff from midway I ordered a JP spring kit. They were out of all of them except the "CMP" kit that is advertised as dropping it to a 4.5# pull, but also only working on JP trigger groups. Reading reviews, most people had good success.

Dropped it in, definitely a lighter pull. I'd say the rating is accurate. I'd guess it is 4.5-5# now. Hopefully no ignition reliability issues, but those only seems to crop up with the lightest spring kit from reading reviews.

I am sureat some point I'll get a nice drop in trigger, but for now it is a nice improvement over what had gone in the rifle originally. I'd imagine it probably will help my group sizes a little.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I picked up a JP spring kit. I have a PSA enhanced trigger group in there. Trigger feel was decent. A little creep, but to me it feels more like a 2 stage trigger. At about 2lbs it would pull back smoothly maybe 1/16th if an inch or less, then a clean break at about 8lbs and a short reset, maybe 1/8" or so.

The regular PSA trigger that had been in there wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as smooth nor as predictable on when it would break. Far cry from my Sako trigger, but with the enhanced trigger group a nice improvement.

Anyway, that pull force is still causing me some accuracy issues. So when I was ordering some other stuff from midway I ordered a JP spring kit. They were out of all of them except the "CMP" kit that is advertised as dropping it to a 4.5# pull, but also only working on JP trigger groups. Reading reviews, most people had good success.

Dropped it in, definitely a lighter pull. I'd say the rating is accurate. I'd guess it is 4.5-5# now. Hopefully no ignition reliability issues, but those only seems to crop up with the lightest spring kit from reading reviews.

I am sureat some point I'll get a nice drop in trigger, but for now it is a nice improvement over what had gone in the rifle originally. I'd imagine it probably will help my group sizes a little.

Mileage varies a great deal on this subject. Here is my breakdown. My favorite two stage is a RRA two stage match trigger kit. I like them more than Geissele SSA triggers for the money. My 20" AR has a JP match trigger in it and, once you get it set up, is a really nice trigger. It was developed as a 3gun trigger. Single stage and fully adjustable at set-up. Be sure to leave just a touch of followthrough to avoid double tapping. I don't claim to be an expert on this, I use it on my bench AR. It has a 3#+ pull and I really love it.:thumbsup:

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    Got myself a bonus check coming next week and somehow convinced the wife to let me spend it on a new AR pistol build. My budget is $1000. I found an Aero Precision stripped lower at FreeState two weeks ago for $99 so I grabbed that, seemed like a pretty good price.

This is a rough draft of what I'm thinking about putting together, going to start buying parts this week.

CMC single Stage drop in Trigger - 170
    Cookie Cutter Compensation - 60
    Hardened Arms 7.5" quad rail upper - on sale 170
    Nickel Boron BCG - 100
    ergo grip - 20
    charge handle - 20
    LPK (minus fcg) - 20
    hex 2 buffer tube - 60
    SBM4 brace - 90
    vortex venom - 100
    magpul foregrip - 30

total - 840

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Got myself a bonus check coming next week and somehow convinced the wife to let me spend it on a new AR pistol build. My budget is $1000. I found an Aero Precision stripped lower at FreeState two weeks ago for $99 so I grabbed that, seemed like a pretty good price.

Nice! Be careful with AR pistols, though.... they lead to SBRs. :) :P

CMC single Stage drop in Trigger - 170

I've never used the CMC trigger, but don't count out the ALG triggers - you could save yourself about $100 there if you wanted to.

Nickel Boron BCG - 100

Our resident professional AR gunsmith, Clandestine, has often recceomended against NiB bolts - the coating on the bolt surface can apparently mess with headspace and sometimes bolt lockup. One good option would be the Palmetto State Armory "Premium" BCG, which you can often find on sale especially if you sign up for PSA's email list. Right now, the no-logo version is $90[/i] and I've seen them as cheap as $70 regularly. This'll save you $10 - $30. Sometimes they have them with a charging handle for $90 or so.

Just a couple thoughts.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I think I am ready to pull the trigger on an AR15 Pistol upper. I have a completed lower and just ordered a Shockwave blade to add to the lower. I've had this unfinished lower just plucking my nerves for 6 months and I think it's time to finish it. I am looking for upper recommendations that wont break the bank and will function fine.

I am by no means an AR guy I am just trying to figure out what barrel size would be the most useful for my needs. I'm thinking of getting something that I can add a carry handle to and some A2 style HG's and have almost a commando like build but I am 100% open to suggestions. I'm really really not into super tactical but can be persuaded! With permission I saved a pic of another members AR pistol and I am going to review that thing once I get home so see if my wants have changed but again any input would be helpful. I only really ask for yalls suggestions because I'm really bad with these things and figure you all would have some awesome ideas I could ponder before making my ideas.

THIS WILL NOT BE A HD GUN, THIS WILL NOT BE USED FOR ANYTHING OTHER THEN PAPER!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I am by no means an AR guy I am just trying to figure out what barrel size would be the most useful for my needs. I'm thinking of getting something that I can add a carry handle to and some A2 style HG's and have almost a commando like build but I am 100% open to suggestions.

Bang:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...er-without-bcg-or-charging-handle-507020.html

$240 and you're done.

You'll have to add a BCG, but they have those for $100:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/palm...remium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html

You can pick those up as low as $60 or $70 if you wait for them to go on sale. They're good BCGs, and I believe that they're actually made by Toolcraft.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I think I am ready to pull the trigger on an AR15 Pistol upper. I have a completed lower and just ordered a Shockwave blade to add to the lower. I've had this unfinished lower just plucking my nerves for 6 months and I think it's time to finish it. I am looking for upper recommendations that wont break the bank and will function fine.

I am by no means an AR guy I am just trying to figure out what barrel size would be the most useful for my needs. I'm thinking of getting something that I can add a carry handle to and some A2 style HG's and have almost a commando like build but I am 100% open to suggestions. I'm really really not into super tactical but can be persuaded! With permission I saved a pic of another members AR pistol and I am going to review that thing once I get home so see if my wants have changed but again any input would be helpful. I only really ask for yalls suggestions because I'm really bad with these things and figure you all would have some awesome ideas I could ponder before making my ideas.

THIS WILL NOT BE A HD GUN, THIS WILL NOT BE USED FOR ANYTHING OTHER THEN PAPER!
    I will add, from experience with a few different pistols, that a barrel length of 10" or more will be more pleasant to shoot than a shorty barrel in 223/556 ;)

My 556 pistol sports a 10.5" barrel and it's a blast to shoot!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    MPDC, if you want to build that gun let me know. The upper ould use rebuilding as well, even if its a PSA.

If I get a set of triangle HGs could you cut them and fit them to something like that 10.5 upper?

I REALLY need to get into a class but since momma and I's schedule is so different it's tough plus she's switching jobs right now and about to get a new schedule. I would seriously love to learn more on this stuff.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Bang:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...er-without-bcg-or-charging-handle-507020.html

$240 and you're done.

You'll have to add a BCG, but they have those for $100:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/palm...remium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html

You can pick those up as low as $60 or $70 if you wait for them to go on sale. They're good BCGs, and I believe that they're actually made by Toolcraft.

I've been eyeing these and my two PSA BCGs have been fine!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I will add, from experience with a few different pistols, that a barrel length of 10" or more will be more pleasant to shoot than a shorty barrel in 223/556 ;)

My 556 pistol sports a 10.5" barrel and it's a blast to shoot!

Thank you I appreciate your experience. This is the kind of stuff I was wondering.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If I get a set of triangle HGs could you cut them and fit them to something like that 10.5 upper?

I REALLY need to get into a class but since momma and I's schedule is so different it's tough plus she's switching jobs right now and about to get a new schedule. I would seriously love to learn more on this stuff.

Offer is open ended my friend.

Triangle HG's can be cut down but they require a custom rear cap which I do not have.

You are using a Front Sight Base correct?

If so, fulton makes a carbine triangle handguard that will fit a 10.5 with a FSB.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/handguard7carroundblack-1.aspx

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess it depends on what you want exactly. If you went with a 12.5" barrel your OAL would probably be long enough you could get a vetical grip and it would be a firearm instead of an AOW. I'd verify first.

I went 10.5" on my first and I like the balance. Haven't shot it yet, but playing around with it, the thing feels good. I can see why people would SBR one at this size. Very cheekable and not so heavy or big I can't use a bungie sling and fire it "pointed" under tension of the sling. That said, if that would be your preferred technique, something like a 7-8" barrel would likely be a lot better for that. You'd also likely want to go .300 BO or 9mm. No experience, but have heard .233 under 10.5" is nasty as a fireball thrower. Heck, I got a linear comp for my 10.5" to keep that under control a bit.

On a different note, I found the VSIM AR/AK pistol case works well. 28" so it just fits my 10.5" AR pistol flat. You could probably fit a 12.5" barreled AR, but it would be diagonal in the case. The case is kind of tall though. You could probably fit an AR pistol with a 40rnd mag in and tall rings with a scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom