• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to clarify ; two yrs ago when it was frog lubed, did it successfully go bang-bang-bang at the time ?

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Just to clarify ; two yrs ago when it was frog lubed, did it successfully go bang-bang-bang at the time ?

I didn't shoot it I just put it together and then it sat in the closet for 2 year's or more up until recently.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Okay after cleaning and lubricating the BCG I took the gun out today and first thing I did was rack it of course, I then took the magazine out to see if it would eject the round since it didn't want to do it before and it actually worked.

I then put the magazine back in and racked another round in and fired the gun, it went boom, ejected the shell and then failure to feed. I clear the jam and rack it again, fire the gun (boom) failure to eject and a round is jammed because it has nowhere to go. I take the magazine out again, rack it back to get the round out and it wouldn't eject.... I had to stick my finver nail in there to slide the empty shell out of the chamber.

I will say this though the failure to ejects didn't happen as much today but it still happened way too often, the failure to feeds were about the same. I didn't have many trigger pulls and no boom though.

So its official im going to have to link up with a member who reached out and has more expertise than I do to help me get it right.

Part of me feels like I have a faulty BCG because I did my research and nobody has had these kind of issues with there NFA lower and radical upper.
    Reach out for help.. it can be several things, I haven't gone back and read previous posts, but someone here that knows AR's can help diagnose your problem and many of us know AR's pretty damned well... lol

It can be corrected, just needs some proper inspection and trouble shooting. ;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Another thing, you seemed to mention you have another AR-15 you've been shooting. Quick test, take the bolt carrier group out of that one and slap it in to the problem gun. Still having issues, it isn't the BCG. If it is, it is some part of the BCG.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Okay after cleaning and lubricating the BCG I took the gun out today and first thing I did was rack it of course, I then took the magazine out to see if it would eject the round since it didn't want to do it before and it actually worked.

I then put the magazine back in and racked another round in and fired the gun, it went boom, ejected the shell and then failure to feed. I clear the jam and rack it again, fire the gun (boom) failure to eject and a round is jammed because it has nowhere to go. I take the magazine out again, rack it back to get the round out and it wouldn't eject.... I had to stick my finver nail in there to slide the empty shell out of the chamber.

I will say this though the failure to ejects didn't happen as much today but it still happened way too often, the failure to feeds were about the same. I didn't have many trigger pulls and no boom though.

So its official im going to have to link up with a member who reached out and has more expertise than I do to help me get it right.

Part of me feels like I have a faulty BCG because I did my research and nobody has had these kind of issues with there NFA lower and radical upper.

Like I said, I was hoping it was just gunk but feared it was more. I am leaning towards a suspicion of the bolt carrier group also myself. Easy enough to try a new bolt carrier with the same bolt. This could be as simple as $3 out of spec gas rings dragging, or could be more. Your persistent failure to fire issue that you advise has diminished but not gone away around leads me to suspect it is more.

If you change the bolt itself you should check the headspace before firing. I know there are many internet Googlesmiths who have never set foot inside a gun factory or an armorer's class who will tell you it isn't necessary. I am of the opinion you only have two eyes and should. Especially since (no offense) we are dealing with components that are already not from a higher end milspec maker like for instance Colt, DD, or LWRC. A DIY headspace gauge is 25 bucks at Brownells or many gunsmiths will do it for free, either of which is much cheaper than a guide dog :) .

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do you have any of the fired brass? It can give you clues tobwhat is going on.

Radical Uppers can be troublesome, but it can be fixed, it just may cost you some money.

I think it needs a good inspection.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Do you have any of the fired brass? It can give you clues tobwhat is going on.

Radical Uppers can be troublesome, but it can be fixed, it just may cost you some money.

I think it needs a good inspection.

No I didn't keep any of the brass that actually fired. I agree it needs a good inspection.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Chad said he's a few weeks out from being able to see me so I'll have to get up with him when he has the time. Im hoping bigfoot has some time this weekend.

wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    Very interested in knowing how this turns out! Really appreciate all the updates, please keep them coming!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Holy shit guys, something said go outside and screw around with my rifle and see if I can rack through a magazine ( this is something I could never do without it jamming) and I was actually able to rack through an entire magazine, the gun ejected and fed every round without issue. This rifle has never been able to do this! Makes me want to go and trt to shoot it again and see if the click NO BOOM issues are going away also?

The only thing I did differently this time was take 5 rounds out of the magazine before trying.

If this rifle actually fires and cycles round in and out the way I just did manually then the guys who figured it was the gunky, never cleaned BCG and maybe possibly the magazine since I did have to take 5 rounds out for this ti happen today. I am suddenly optimistic!

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I have seen your exact failure due to brand new bolt being put installed and not cleaned. Of course being a Chad disciple, I might have learned it from him as well.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I have seen your exact failure due to brand new bolt being put installed and not cleaned. Of course being a Chad disciple, I might have learned it from him as well.

its good to know somebody else has had these issues and got through it, I was starting to doubt the AR up until just now when it performed for once. I suppose it's kind of loosening itself after the shots that did go off last time and the cleaning and lube job. I hope this is the beginning of good things.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Is the gas key clogged? That happened to me with a brand new NIB BCG.

I'm not sure. I don't see how though being that it was bought n immediately put in and just sat, I suppose such a thing would slow the bcg down when firing causing jams?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The only thing I did differently this time was take 5 rounds out of the magazine before trying.

Tell me you haven't been running all these tests with the same mag. You could have an out of spec mag as well as other minor problems. A mag with a shitty follower will cause these same problems.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Tell me you haven't been running all these tests with the same mag. You could have an out of spec mag as well as other minor problems. A mag with a shitty follower will cause these same problems.

No it was happening with two mags, both gen 3 pmags with window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom