• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    I was looking to get my 20 inch AR knocked down to 18 just for practicality, and Scott's would normally be my first choice, but I called a week or so ago and they have a two month wait. Does anybody know of a gunsmith in the area that can chop/thread AR barrels?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For what you'd pay a 'smith, you're almost better off just buying an 18" barrel and swapping it out at home.

If you're able to anyways.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    I hadn't thought it'd run me that high. Maybe I should consider other options. Basically, I have a 20 inch pre-ban AR with a DD rail on it I'm looking to modernize a bit. I was gonna put a BCM 15 inch KMR on it, and thought it might look kind of dumb with an extra 5" of barrel sticking out.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    For what you'd pay a 'smith, you're almost better off just buying an 18" barrel and swapping it out at home.

If you're able to anyways.

Hadn't thought it'd be that much. I was just looking to put a 15" KMR on an AR with an old DD rail on it and thought it might look dumb with 5" of barrel out in front.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    ADCO does that and threads it for $80. About 2 wk turnaround (call and make sure)

I don't think anyone does it for near that price. They have a great reputation.

At least they are a fall back if you don't find someone local.

Edit:just looked it up. They charge $65 to cut, crown and thread an AR barrel. The barrel has to be by itself or they have other service charges.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just make SURE you and ADCO agree on what is going to be done and what the final result will be.

I had them mill a sear block out of a post-ban Colt HBAR Match. After their work, I still could not install a Giessele trigger. So I contacted them about the issue. NEVER suggested it was their fault or that I wanted it fixed for free.

Got nothing but a load of crap from them.

All I wanted was to figure out if and how much to actually get the work done that I needed.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Personally I would buy this and sell the old barrel.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17518&cat=312&page=3

Unless you have a high end barrel on your rifle right now this would probably result in you having a better quality barrel than shortening your current barrel.

Also swapping barrels is what I consider a low risk modification. Cutting and threading has more opportunity for problems/errors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom