• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Take two AR rifles. One 5.56, on .300 BO. Swap the barrels and ONLY the barrels between the two.

Will they both function? YES.

Granted, you would need to fire the appropriate ammo in each.

The key is that the AR-15, the banned item, is chambered in 5.56/.223. An AR platform in any other caliber is not a copy of an AR-15. That's why the AR-10 is not banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The key is that the AR-15, the banned item, is chambered in 5.56/.223. An AR platform in any other caliber is not a copy of an AR-15. That's why the AR-10 is not banned.

You're wasting your time...:innocent0

By the way, I totally agree. Being able to shoot a 223 bullet through a .308 bbl doesn't make it functional.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Your choice.

Personally, I will make my .300 BO ARs heavy barrel. MY choice.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    Take two AR rifles. One 5.56, on .300 BO. Swap the barrels and ONLY the barrels between the two.

Does ONLY the barrel mean ONLY the barrel? Wouldn't at least the flash hider, and possibly even the barrel extension, be considered additional parts that need to be swapped for both rifles to function (even with appropriate ammo)?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Those aren't parts. They're units.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Those aren't parts. They're units.

OK, so pull the barrel off the barrel extension, remove the flash hider and gas block, and only swap the BARREL.

They still work.

I have to check, but I think my .300 BO barrel is threaded the same as .223 barrels

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK, so pull the barrel off the barrel extension, remove the flash hider and gas block, and only swap the BARREL.

They still work.

I have to check, but I think my .300 BO barrel is threaded the same as .223 barrels

Not with a .223 muzzle device. They are not swappable.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013

They still work.

223 is 1/2-38
    300 is 5/8-24

But I could see the prosecution stating the gun(s) would fire w/o a flash hider, if it came to that.

Also, will a .308 bullet fit down the ID of a 223 flash hider?
    How would a 300BO 'fit' into the 223 chamber?

I don't see how this would work.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    223 is 1/2-38
    300 is 5/8-24

But I could see the prosecution stating the gun(s) would fire w/o a flash hider, if it came to that.

1/2-28. ;)

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    223 is 1/2-38
    300 is 5/8-24

The 300 BLK will fit in an AR-15, but it is hazardous to fire. "The very advantage that the 300 BLK is so similar to the popular .223/5.56 caliber can also be a safety issue if ammunition of the two calibers is mixed. Because of similar chamber dimensions between the two calibers, SAAMI has listed the combination of using a 300 BLK round in a .223 chamber as unsafe. Since the bullet of the .300 BLK is larger than the bore of the .223 caliber, chambering and firing would cause excessive pressure to build up since the bullet has nowhere to go, which can cause the rifle to explode resulting in risk of injury or death."
    Once again, a rifle chambered for 300 BLK does not fit the description of a copy of an AR-15, thus it isn't banned.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The 300 BLK will fit in an AR-15, but it is hazardous to fire. "The very advantage that the 300 BLK is so similar to the popular .223/5.56 caliber can also be a safety issue if ammunition of the two calibers is mixed. Because of similar chamber dimensions between the two calibers, SAAMI has listed the combination of using a 300 BLK round in a .223 chamber as unsafe. Since the bullet of the .300 BLK is larger than the bore of the .223 caliber, chambering and firing would cause excessive pressure to build up since the bullet has nowhere to go, which can cause the rifle to explode resulting in risk of injury or death."
    Once again, a rifle chambered for 300 BLK does not fit the description of a copy of an AR-15, thus it isn't banned.

...nor compelled to be equipped with a heavy barrel, in my view.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well damn! Out of curiosity, anyone know if any of the other ".223 conversion" calibers would have the same thing? Like .277 wolverine? I kind of assume yes.

Deffinitely different color mags for me if I build a .300 blackout.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Not sure about the first.

But yes on the second. You can actually chamber and fire a .300 BO in a .223 rifle. ONCE.

And you get a VERY long bullet lodged in the barrel.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    You can shoot a .223 cartridge through a 9mm Glock. That is literally all that can be said about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Your choice.

Personally, I will make my .300 BO ARs heavy barrel. MY choice.

Does anybody feel comfortable with .300 BO AR lightweight barrels? It would appear safer to me to have a heavy barrel with this more powerful load.
    Also, wouldn't the .300 lightweight barrel allow for more recoil than heavy?

Note: I'm talking about 8.5" length barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom