• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I have a question that's slightly off topic here, but what's the difference between the Armalite and DPMS barrel extensions and bolts for a .308 AR? I know if you install a DPMS barrel, you need to use a DPMS bolt, and the same with Armalite, but I don't know how they differ in dimension. Does one offer more reliable feeding than the other?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have a question that's slightly off topic here, but what's the difference between the Armalite and DPMS barrel extensions and bolts for a .308 AR? I know if you install a DPMS barrel, you need to use a DPMS bolt, and the same with Armalite, but I don't know how they differ in dimension. Does one offer more reliable feeding than the other?

I'm deferring to a more informed person, but I think it has to do with the pattern of the upper and lower because there is no uniformity in the AR10 world for internal components to build a rifle from scratch.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The Armalite is patented, so nobody can copy it.. the DPMS is a variation of the Armalite and the parts must be kept separate for each and not mixed or matched in the upper. The uppers/lowers are different, the bolts and the barrel extensions.

They are a draw, imo... either will work great, it's really a matter of whether you want a 'true, original' Armalite style AR-10, or a copy, in the DPMS style LR-308. I chose the DPMS, as I think there is a bit more stuff available for that style and I build my AR's one piece at at time.

Last edited:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    The upper of the Armalite is patented, so nobody can copy it..

Do you have any other info on that? I have never seen that stated anywhere else nor have I ever seen an Armalite upper with any patent markings as would be required. The only patent marking I have ever seen from Armalite are on their bolt carriers.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Do you have any other info on that? I have never seen that stated anywhere else nor have I ever seen an Armalite upper with any patent markings as would be required. The only patent marking I have ever seen from Armalite are on their bolt carriers.
    I may be off a bit there, but.. it was my understanding that Armalite was the first to bring the AR platform to the 308 and they somehow protected it from being copied.. perhaps trademarked? That is why the other variants are different in the upper/lower design and parts.

edit - I know the trademark only protects the name, but the AR-10 was licensed to Colt Manufacturing along the way and it has a long history from the original military prototype designs... Most of the others were copies with variations that kept them different from the Armalite design..

Attachments

• AR-M700U_20100108_112350.pdf
      149.9 KB · Views: 79

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    The Armalite is patented, so nobody can copy it.. the DPMS is a variation of the Armalite and the parts must be kept separate for each and not mixed or matched in the upper. The uppers/lowers are different, the bolts and the barrel extensions.

They are a draw, imo... either will work great, it's really a matter of whether you want a 'true, original' Armalite style AR-10, or a copy, in the DPMS style LR-308. I chose the DPMS, as I think there is a bit more stuff available for that style and I build my AR's one piece at at time.

Thanks for the info. I started looking around for barrels and bolt carrier groups and the DPMS compatible parts are more readily available than the Armalite parts. I may end up getting a DPMS barrel in the end.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Single shot, single feed in .308 ?

Get a handi rifle and save the rest of the money for ammo or another project

Here's the ticket. Handi's are a fantastic value, break down into a small package and you can get extra barrels fitted at the factory for cheap.

Or just buy an AR-10. They're still legal in MD. That Franklin Armory upper looks like it shouldn't have made it past the drawing board stage. I'll bet you never see one in person.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I may be off a bit there, but.. it was my understanding that Armalite was the first to bring the AR platform to the 308 and they somehow protected it from being copied.. perhaps trademarked? That is why the other variants are different in the upper/lower design and parts.

edit - I know the trademark only protects the name, but the AR-10 was licensed to Colt Manufacturing along the way and it has a long history from the original military prototype designs... Most of the others were copies with variations that kept them different from the Armalite design..

Uh, there are two readily available spec of AR 10 parts. DPMS spec and Armaltite spec. They do not interchange, but everyone and their mom makes parts that conform to both spec. Mega Machine specifically made the MaTen to conform to BOTH, so you can choose to go either Armalite OR DPMS spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom