Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How many ARs do you own?
    Do you own an AR10?
    Ever shot one?
    Do you have any AR tools?
    Do you plan on buying any?

Buying a complete upper and a complete lower is not a build. I say this because so many people come here with "build" questions resulting in " which complete upper and complete lower should I buy for my AR build?" Lol

I normally suggest, if it's your first or second AR, learn to customize that first. That way, you'll at least learn a little bit about how things go together.

Sorry, couldn't really vote in your poll. I didn't want to send you down the wrong trail.

GunJunkie91

Aug 13, 2023
    Maryland
    How many ARs do you own?
    Do you own an AR10?
    Ever shot one?
    Do you have any AR tools?
    Do you plan on buying any?

Buying a complete upper and a complete lower is not a build. I say this because so many people come here with "build" questions resulting in " which complete upper and complete lower should I buy for my AR build?" Lol

I normally suggest, if it's your first or second AR, learn to customize that first. That way, you'll at least learn a little bit about how things go together.

Sorry, couldn't really vote in your poll. I didn't want to send you down the wrong trail.
    Thank you for the response.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yep. If you're not lapping your barrel to the upper, not drilling for gas block pins, nor trying experimenting to find the optimal spring/buffer combination, you're not building, you're assembling.

I've done it all those ways. I've built from parts both upper and lower, I've built the lower and bought the upper complete and I've bought complete rifles. There is no right answer. If you buy high quality components your rifle might exceed the cost of an entire rifle. I've bought the cheapest kit I could find and i've built entire rifles from parts that cost a couple $Gs. I have one rifle that is built almost completely from left over parts and parts bought on sites like WISH.COM just because I could and I wanted to see what I could do with it. I enjoy the experimenting as much as the shooting.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I assembled my 1st with a stripped lower and a complete upper after that when I get my 10 I will buy a lower that at least has the bolt catch installed and a complete trigger guard those pins were a MFing pain for me, I didn't mind putting the buffer tube on losing the detent pin once or twice and having to throw away one of the takedown springs because I jammed it the 1st time and no I won't build the upper from scratch I will still buy a complete upper and slap it on the lower.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I assembled my 1st with a stripped lower and a complete upper after that when I get my 10 I will buy a lower that at least has the bolt catch installed and a complete trigger guard those pins were a MFing pain for me, I didn't mind putting the buffer tube on losing the detent pin once or twice and having to throw away one of the takedown springs because I jammed it the 1st time and no I won't build the upper from scratch I will still buy a complete upper and slap it on the lower.
    Though lowers are more of a pain to build, uppers are the 'money' end of the build. The most important part.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I usually build my AR15’s, only bought one (my first) as a complete rifle. I do not own an AR10 but that is one I’d consider buying as a rifle as I hear AR10 parts do not always mix and work together well.

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I usually build my AR15’s, only bought one (my first) as a complete rifle. I do not own an AR10 but that is one I’d consider buying as a rifle as I here AR10 parts do not always mix and work together well.
    Yep
    10s and 9s can be a pain

Blaserman

MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2023
    Dundalk Md
    I bought a AR 10 Aero Precision upper and lower. Shopped around for the best prices for awhile. But made changes Trigger Grip and muzzle break. And found 25 rd mags

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom