• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    You are entitled to an OAH hearing if there is no decision on the permit in 90 days. I have to find the exact wording of the statute or comar that says that, but probably someone will post it.

Whether or not an applicant goes to a higher tier of investigation has no bearing on the 90 days in the statute. A squeaky clean .gov with all the clearances, or a 20 time loser with a rap sheet longer than your arm, both need to have their application given a disposition within 90 days.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Whether or not an applicant goes to a higher tier of investigation has no bearing on the 90 days in the statute. A squeaky clean .gov with all the clearances, or a 20 time loser with a rap sheet longer than your arm, both need to have their application given a disposition within 90 days.
    This is true, but if you are at a higher tier of investigation, the OAH will be a lot less sympathetic and you won't make a good plaintiff. The judge is likely to eat up the clock while MSP investigates. If you have a squeaky clean record, they have no excuse.

Reezie

Aug 18, 2020
    I dont understand if no interviews are being conducted no references contacted and you background is clean why arnt you just approved after the nics is completed what are they doing the 14 days post nics?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I dont understand if no interviews are being conducted no references contacted and you background is clean why arnt you just approved after the nics is completed what are they doing the 14 days post nics?
    There are even less people that probably have authority to sign off on a finalized permit. I doubt Trooper Bob can OK the issuance of permit after he gets the NICS back. He probably has to pass it some higher ranking trooper or state employee both of which only works 9-5 on Monday - Wednesday and are hard find Thursday through Friday. Just a guess.

tlcooperjr

Aug 4, 2022
    Middleriver
    Nics 8/1 approval 8/11 today email from usps....finally

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220818-092220_Yahoo Mail.jpg
      Screenshot_20220818-092220_Yahoo Mail.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 93

mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    Submitted 7/5
    Accepted 7/6
    For Review 7/18
    NICS # 8/4
    Permit Approved 8/18
    Never received any notification after 7/6 date until 8/18

Whodatpat

Sep 9, 2009
    College Park MD
    The application number is assigned when starting your app. Once you submit it sits around for awhile until someone gets to it to check for completeness, at which point it is 'Accepted.' This doesn't seem to be strictly in the order received, though it is probably somewhat close-ish. Some point after that they will run a NICS check, though this doesn't seem to mean much regards processing time, at least on the daily level. They appear to be Approving the applications in order of 'Accepted' date, perhaps further ordering it by NICS date. They are currently running at 30 days from Accepted but increasing practically EVERY SINGLE DAY. Hopefully they will start processing the 7/19 Accepteds tomorrow and you will get your approval in the next several days, you lucky dog. They've been on 7/18 for awhile.

Those of us who for whatever reason had to wait to submit are just going to have to get comfortable. I was Accepted 8/5, which is 17 days from where they are working right now. If they do four business days per day of Accepteds, assuming that they don't slow down even further, that means there will be another 68 business days before people with my Accepted date start getting processed. If I'm figuring right, that will be right around Thanksgiving. October 26 is my 90 day limit, so unless they pick up the pace (or the applications drop off dramatically) they will easily exceed this by around a month. I was prepping a house for sale and didn't get in for fingerprints until very late July. I'm really upset with myself for not finding the time.
    Thank you for painstakingly tracking this so that you can offer such clear insight based in the actual data. This information was incredibly helpful to me as I waited and helpful now as I talk friends off the ledge who wonder why they aren't getting their approval as fast as I did. The MSP are clearly swamped and its getting worse as more people complete classes each day. (Especially the weekends.) Still grateful they didn't decide to auto-sit on them all for 90 days like they used to.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Behind the scenes question(s):

1) Does the existence of a NICS number on the application suggest that they've run the NICS check (one presumes successfully, nothing prohibitive)? Or that they've started some sort of check using NICS, and may or may not yet have a disposition?

2) Does the online fingerprint upload (which has its own tracking number) play a role in the NICS check, or is it for some OTHER sort of check that is being additionally performed? If so, is that before or after NICS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom