• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    My daughter and I just completed the Patriot’s Day edition of Appleseed at the AAF&G club. All I can say is: wow!

I can confidently say that they exceeded my expectations in all aspects.

Obviously the emphasis was on marksmanship. I knew I would pick up some techniques. I was unprepared for just how much I would learn. I considered myself a good shooter. Not great, but good. They made me better.

My daughter excelled too. She started out shooting much worse than me. After the two-day all-day course – she outshot me, earning the coveted Rifleman badge in her first Appleseed event. (I chalk her besting me up to my geezerly eyes. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!)

A small army of unpaid volunteers staffed the Appleseed event. I didn’t count but I estimate there was one instructor for every three or four shooters. There’s no question that each shooter got significant individualized attention and instruction during the two days we were there.

And the staff couldn’t have been kinder to us. Many of us had equipment failures. The ejector on my rifle broke and couldn’t be repaired. Not to worry; the staff got out their personal rifles and made them available to many of us. None of us lacked for anything.

As good as the marksmanship training was, the Appleseed staff taught us about the story of Lexington and Concord as well. Both of the mornings and afternoons, time was carefully and reverently set aside to cover the spark of our American Revolution, and the grave sacrifices that average individual citizens gave to secure our freedom and our liberty.

This was a great event. I’m glad I went for myself. But I’m even more glad that I took my 14-year-old daughter. Passing our heritage of the shooting sports, and our heritage as American citizens, to the next generation is important.

My sincere thanks the the great Appleseed staff, who voluntarily gave up their weekend for our benefit. They were just outstanding. Patriots all.

If you’ve never been before – go. Take your spouse. Especially take your kids. We’ll be back next year. It was one of the best experiences we’ve had in a long time: as a parent and child, as shooters, and as Americans. What’s not to like?

ih23

Dec 13, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm planning to go for the first time later in the year. I'll probably take my sisters and younger cousins with me (I don't have kids). I want them to understand our history, how to properly use a firearm and learn to shoot well. Sounds like fun!

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Aray,

So glad to hear that you had a great time and that your daughter did so well. I also had a great time as Saturday was my first Appleseed as an "orange hat" instructor in training. I can't say how great it was to get to work with such a dedicated, receptive group. It was also great to see so many youth shooters on the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom