• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Appleseed

Highly recommended by everyone I know.

Usually one of the first recommendations I hear anyone make.

Absolutely true. Those who have been to Appleseed understand why.

I just signed up for the special April 16-17 event at Berwyn in Bowie. My daughter and I have gone every year since we discovered Appleseed, and it has been well worth the investment. Each year we learn something new and it's been a great time to share awesome weekends together. She's a senior in high school now so sadly this may be our last predictable year together.

Now if I could just clear that darned redcoat target. I've earned three Rifleman patches but by just one shot (the shingle) that accomplishment continues to elude me! :sad20: Well I guess if it was easier it wouldn't be of value...

Last year I also signed up for a known distance shoot. Great time & hopefully I can do that again this year as well.

And of course hats off to all of the Appleseed volunteers. This really is quality first-class training they offer, and it's always been amazing to me that they're willing to give up their summer weekends to make better marksman, as well as to pass along the lessons and legacy of liberty. Thanks guys - you're the best!

DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    Hi! I'm going to attend an Appleseed this year, just not sure when I can go yet. We are expecting in mid April. I'd like to know, what are the differences between the one and two day classes. How much are you missing by attending the 1 day only class? And can you bring more than one rifle and be trained on both?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Hi! I'm going to attend an Appleseed this year, just not sure when I can go yet. We are expecting in mid April. I'd like to know, what are the differences between the one and two day classes. How much are you missing by attending the 1 day only class? And can you bring more than one rifle and be trained on both?

If it's your first, I highly recommend the two-day. Day 1 will give you plenty of time to learn your rifle, sling setup, and the basic positions. Day 2 will be more about applying those skills.

You can absolutely bring more than one rifle but you'll probably want to stick with just one on day 2 for consistency's sake. Especially if you are doing the known distance exercise.

DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    If it's your first, I highly recommend the two-day. Day 1 will give you plenty of time to learn your rifle, sling setup, and the basic positions. Day 2 will be more about applying those skills.

You can absolutely bring more than one rifle but you'll probably want to stick with just one on day 2 for consistency's sake. Especially if you are doing the known distance exercise.

Ok, thanks for the info! I think I'm going to try for the September 2 day in Marriottsville.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Spots available on the line for ALL March Appleseed clinics! Let's get those lines filled... Ask anyone who's been to an Appleseed, if it's worthwhile, and if they are a better shooter because of it, and I'd guess 98% would say "hell yeah!" ... Annapolis, Marriottsville, Lexington Park and a special MID WEEK event at Bowie for those can't free up a weekend!

See you on the line! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: BeSwift

https://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MD&statename=Maryland

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Save $20! Groupon for Appleseed LIMITED TIME OFFER

OK, folks.. Here's your chance to attend an Appleseed for a LOT less coin!
    This IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER, so don't dilly dally! Lets get those lines filled!
    We got a nation to save folks, and we need YOUR help.. MD needs MORE Riflemen!!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/project-appleseed-4-wichita

See YOU on the line, and bring someone with you!
    BeSwift

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Weekday Project Appleseed Event - Wednesday, March 30, 2016.

Our next Project Appleseed event at BRGC for 2016 is a one-day event on Wednesday, March 30. The idea is to give those whose schedules do not allow for a weekend event to attend an Appleseed event.

We will be using rimfire rifles only at this event.

Project Appleseed's heritage program vividly portrays the Battles of Lexington and Concord with the kind of care and immediacy that is absent from most formal schooling. Modern listeners are confronted with the danger, the fear, and the heartbreaking separations that arose out of the choices made on April 19th, 1775. They are also reminded of the marksmanship skills and masterful organization that ultimately helped set the colonists on the path to success. Those who attend gain a better understanding of the fundamental choices faced by our ancestors as they began to set the stage for the nation we now enjoy.

Their rifle marksmanship program complements that history and heritage. The focus is on teaching the traditional American marksmanship skills. There are, however, several aspects of the marksmanship program that deserve special mention. Project Appleseed is particularly proud of their younger attendees. In accordance with applicable local laws, young people with sufficient maturity are welcome to the Appleseed line and can, with parental permission, join the cadre. The RWVA recognizes the importance of introducing a wide cross section of Americans to their marksmanship heritage.

Many of the Appleseed events at BRGC are single-day events although there will be some two-day events (please see the schedule info below).

A semi-automatic .22 LR rifle with a detachable magazine is recommended. If you don't have one, just let us know beforehand and we'll be glad to set you up with a loaner rimfire rifle to use for the event.

Registration for any of the 2016 Project Appleseed events for the State of Maryland can be accessed via the Appleseed Schedule (http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MD&statename=Maryland) or use the direct link to our events (http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=544&id_event=4340). Please remember that Active Military, Reserve and Guard, Peace Officers, and Disabled Vets can attend any of the Project Appleseed events in Maryland for free, with appropriate ID. If you qualify for one of the Free admissions, select the “FREE ticket SPECIAL” when registering for yourself. Any additional tickets would be at the standard prices, unless the additional ticket also qualifies for a free ticket.

Please check the “How to Prepare for an Event” link for particularly useful information about preparing for your Appleseed event.

Feel free to contact me concerning these or any other public shooting events at BRGC at PublicEvents@berwyn.org

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    OK, folks.. Here's your chance to attend an Appleseed for a LOT less coin!
    This IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER, so don't dilly dally! Lets get those lines filled!
    We got a nation to save folks, and we need YOUR help.. MD needs MORE Riflemen!!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/project-appleseed-4-wichita

See YOU on the line, and bring someone with you!
    BeSwift

Thanks Brian, I'm going to send this out to the club when I get home!

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Thanks to the shooters who showed up for yesterday's (March 30) mid-week Project Appleseed event. One of our shooters earned his Rifleman patch by shooting a 240 out of a possible 250 on our AQT target.

Best of all, he brought his son with him to listen to the lessons on American heritage and 3-position rifle marksmanship.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I have a question for the Appleseed leaders. As I already stated I'm signed up for the April 16-17 event in Bowie. I planned to go with my daughter, however she can no longer attend. I have friend who is willing to go in her place (he'd be a first-timer) however unlike my daughter who is a minor, he's an adult. So my question is: I want to be fair to Appleseed and bump up the amount I paid for the reservation, but how do I do that since I've already registered and paid for a child admission?

Thanks.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    It is the responsibility of attendees to know and comply with all Maryland and Federal Firearms Laws.
    "Guns and ammo should be kept locked & separate. "

This is from the schedule and struck me as unusual? I am still interested since I have never trained from a "locked" situation. Lots of good comments, hope to attend with a younger family member this year.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    I have a question for the Appleseed leaders. As I already stated I'm signed up for the April 16-17 event in Bowie. I planned to go with my daughter, however she can no longer attend. I have friend who is willing to go in her place (he'd be a first-timer) however unlike my daughter who is a minor, he's an adult. So my question is: I want to be fair to Appleseed and bump up the amount I paid for the reservation, but how do I do that since I've already registered and paid for a child admission?

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in response.. If you want to swap people out, we can make that work. Bring a check for the difference if you're so inclined... Thx! B

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    It is the responsibility of attendees to know and comply with all Maryland and Federal Firearms Laws.
    "Guns and ammo should be kept locked & separate. "

This is from the schedule and struck me as unusual? I am still interested since I have never trained from a "locked" situation. Lots of good comments, hope to attend with a younger family member this year.

We are trying to communicate to students that they should arrive with rifles and ammo seperate from one another, in an attempt to avoid potential problems with any LE en route to the event, AND to make sure that they aren't arriving with loaded rifles from a safety perspective.. Upon arrival, with rifles still cased and in the vehicles, we brief the students about our definition and expectation of what a "safe" rifle is, and then have them bring their rifles to the line to be made into a "safe" condition, under our supervision. We are safety nuts, and perhaps the website verbiage should be improved. Having had over 100k folks on the line, Nationwide, with no serious injury (knock on wood!) our track record is above average, given the variety of students (absolute newbies, to competition shooters and everyone in between).

Hope to see you and yours, on the line! BeSwift

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Sorry for the delay in response.. If you want to swap people out, we can make that work. Bring a check for the difference if you're so inclined... Thx! B

Thanks, will do. Appleseed is worth every penny and I want to pull my fair share so I'll bump up the purchase cost appropriately. See folks on the line Saturday!

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    My thanks as always to the fine Appleseed volunteers, who show up week after week month after month with no pay to host these events. My friend and I were at their most recent "Patriot's Day" Appleseed in Berwyn and had a great time. I always learn a lot, and though I've heard the history lessons before, I get inspired each time and wonder at the sacrifices our Founders made to give us the liberty and freedom that we have today.

Thanks guys! It was a treat.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    My thanks as always to the fine Appleseed volunteers, who show up week after week month after month with no pay to host these events. My friend and I were at their most recent "Patriot's Day" Appleseed in Berwyn and had a great time. I always learn a lot, and though I've heard the history lessons before, I get inspired each time and wonder at the sacrifices our Founders made to give us the liberty and freedom that we have today.

Thanks guys! It was a treat.

:thumbsup:I second this. I had a great time as always and finally made Rifleman. If I can convince my brother or some coworkers to come I will come out to the May 1 one day at Berywn. Nice meeting you Ray.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    We had a great time last weekend at Annapolis. I finally convinced the wife to go, and it was the daughter's second... they both said they will attend again (the kid is still gunning for rifleman).

An open question to the volunteers who work so hard to make this happen: is there an "advanced" .22 Appleseed class in the works for those of us who have already attended several times? I did the "known distance" exercise at Berwyn last year and that was interesting to say the least. I'd also be curious in hearing different stories, like more about the continental congress and the planning and risks taken by non-combatants to organize and support the revolution. The angry old men weren't just bearing arms.

But really at this point the kid really just wants to shoot her heart out. We'd happily sign up for a single-day course of nothing but shooting if it was offered.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    We had a great time last weekend at Annapolis. I finally convinced the wife to go, and it was the daughter's second... they both said they will attend again (the kid is still gunning for rifleman).

An open question to the volunteers who work so hard to make this happen: is there an "advanced" .22 Appleseed class in the works for those of us who have already attended several times? I did the "known distance" exercise at Berwyn last year and that was interesting to say the least. I'd also be curious in hearing different stories, like more about the continental congress and the planning and risks taken by non-combatants to organize and support the revolution. The angry old men weren't just bearing arms.

But really at this point the kid really just wants to shoot her heart out. We'd happily sign up for a single-day course of nothing but shooting if it was offered.

The "what next" question has been kicked around a lot with AS leadership. There is a Pistolseed coming down the pike that includes different history.
    KD at full distance (1x/yr at Meade, or frequently in PA and NC) are the next logical steps, as are non AS events, like CMP GSM and Rimfire Sporter matches, and HP rifle competition.. We've got additional history in the works however, training over 1k volunteers to tell new history is a BIG challenge... I hear you loud and clear and agree.. I'll be meeting with a bunch of decision makers at the Louisville NRA show and it will be a topic of discussion.. B

Addendum... The short answer COULD be, that now that YOU have the skills, consider joining our crew to pass on the tradition to others... :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom