• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Any of you experienced AppleShooters have any idea what I could expect to score on the "official" Appleseed AQT based on the results I get on the Quick and Dirty Classification AQT (5 shots per stage)? I shot it 3 times today in about 2 min each, for the 4 stages for cores of 238, 244 and 230. I know the real AQT stresses the shooter with timed stages, mag changes and changes of position, but I'm wondering what people think about how much that will affect (reduce) the scores. Of course I am hoping that the instruction will tighten my groups and INCREASE my scores too :) I'm going to the Jan shoot for my first AppleSeed, if anyone else on here is going.

I can't give you an expected % decrease in score as each student is different. It IS a great sign that you're practicing ahead of time. Management and organization of transitions, mag changes and the clock are key and most students have difficulty mastering it. Try incorporating them into your practice if possible. Then try it with 3 layers of clothes, hat falling in your eyes and gloves on :D

For you 2nd question, be on the line with your gear unloaded and ready to send rounds downrange, NLT 8.30AM...

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Updated class availability (see 1st post).. January, March, Apl, and May SOLD OUT. Still a few slots left for February for those vying for their Winterseed Rifleman designation... (Update: Feb is now sold out) See YOU on the line! (but only if you reserve your spot before the remaining classes are sold out! :D) BeSwift

Last edited:

boomer1821

Oct 21, 2012
    Any of you experienced AppleShooters have any idea what I could expect to score on the "official" Appleseed AQT based on the results I get on the Quick and Dirty Classification AQT (5 shots per stage)? I shot it 3 times today in about 2 min each, for the 4 stages for cores of 238, 244 and 230. I know the real AQT stresses the shooter with timed stages, mag changes and changes of position, but I'm wondering what people think about how much that will affect (reduce) the scores. Of course I am hoping that the instruction will tighten my groups and INCREASE my scores too :) I'm going to the Jan shoot for my first AppleSeed, if anyone else on here is going.

In case anyone tries this method of preparation, I ended up shooting a high AQT of 231 at the actual shoot, so the "Quick and Dirty AQT" targets you can find floating around ended up being good practice and a pretty good predictor of performance in the real AQT. A word to the wise: one of the more important aspects of the AQT, especially stages 3 and 4, is putting the correct number of shots into each target (3/3/4 and 2/2/3/3, respectively); it turns out it's not that hard to lose track if you don't concentrate. That ruined a few really promising AQTs for me. So if anything, doing some practice (dry/live fire) to ahead of time to really "set" the course of fire in your mind will help you cope with the stress of shooting AQTs for score.

I can't say enough good things about my experience last weekend in Annapolis!

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Any other MD Shooters members going to the Appleseed this coming weekend (2/16-17)? Look forward to meeting other members.

PS - Looks like we might have "Winterseed" weather! :thumbsup:

boomer1821

Oct 21, 2012
    Any other MD Shooters members going to the Appleseed this coming weekend (2/16-17)? Look forward to meeting other members.

PS - Looks like we might have "Winterseed" weather! :thumbsup:

I'll be there with my son. He'll be shooting, I'll be listening, and being a fly on the wall (with a spotting scope) :)

It would be great if it is WS conditions. I was there last month myself; beautiful
    warm weather :( If it ends up being the right conditions, maybe I'll see if Brian
    will let me shoot for the WS patch too!

See you there!

Rick

boomer1821

Oct 21, 2012
    How did the Winterseed go?

It was great! Weather was vintage Winterseed; on Sat we saw most forms of frozen precip, temps only as high as 38; today featured a bright sunny morning today with temps in the 20s for a bit, but even got a snow shower in duing one AQT.

There were several Winterseed patches awarded; I'm sure Brian or someone will chime in with the stats, but I know of 4 out of the group of 12-14. Regardless of patchology, it was a great shoot as well as a great group of guys. As usual, the instructors were fantastic!

jake12

May 18, 2010
    Shoot went well, great instructors and students. Its great spending time with like minded folks.

As mentioned, we had some fun weather and it qualified as a Winterseed.

I was able to qualify for Riflemen on my first AQT yesterday and kept improving from there. The skills they teach absolutely work if you use them.

This was my first two day Appleseed and I believe my trouble from the last time was my ammo. As soon as I started using CCI, my groups tightened up and I found that my POI and POA matched right up.

Managed to score well enough in the AQT and cleaned the Red Coat Target to get a "Distinguished" patch.

Can't wait to get back on the line again, working to get the wife out too.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361159954633.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1361159954633.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 226

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    A fantastic Appleseed event as usual. I am personally disappointed as I chased equipment issues all weekend. No problem because I WILL be back to redeem myself.

*** Check the post above from Jake12. He is being a bit modest because to earn those patches he had to clean the redcoat and shoot a 230+ on the AQT. An impressive feat!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks again to all of the Appleseed staff for their commitment!

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Good F&ckin' job Jake! Definitely get the wife out. Mine loved it and can't wait to do another.
    Brian- is there a reason tha Winterseed patches only have 12 stars?

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Good F&ckin' job Jake! Definitely get the wife out. Mine loved it and can't wait to do another.
    Brian- is there a reason tha Winterseed patches only have 12 stars?

Cause the person earning it, IS the 13th star! (or that's the best excuse I can come up with, since someone obviously F'd up)... :D BeSwift

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    B I G Appleseed News

Finally, a factory "Liberty Training Rifle" or LTR.. http://appleseedinfo.org/ltr-marlin.html
    Group buy anyone??
    If you are or know of a local FFL who'd be willing to stock em, drop me a PM and I've got a bunch of business to send their way! BeSwift

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I went to the Marlin website and used the dealer locator. I saw a few IPs listed there. I will ask the one I frequent about the possibility of ordering a batch. Others can feel free to work in this also. I am busy at work since I am taking Friday off! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom