• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Here’s my pre-shooting review of the Apex Forward Set Sear and Trigger (and Reset Assist Mechanism). I have been a fan of M&P pistols for some time, and own three of them. My only real gripe with the gun is the ambiguous reset. I’ve heard much about Apex products, and decided that I would give the RAM a try… well, I went overboard and bought the FSS also.

First impressions:

The Kit.
    Overall, I’m happy with the quality and precision of the parts included with the kit. Everything did what it was supposed to do and fit where it was supposed to go. That said, the kit suffers from the lack of one part: a standardized trigger bar (of course, I knew that before buying). To me, it seems odd that so much work would be put into precision tolerances and smoothing contact surfaces in front of and behind the trigger bar, but Apex would opt to leave the stock trigger bar in place. With the stock bar, you keep two rough (the edge of stamped steel) contact surfaces with the striker block safety and the sear. The stock trigger bar also leaves Apex at the mercy of S&W’s not-so-awesome factory tolerances… which turned into an issue for me. A trigger bar that has been trued up in a jig, and smoothed over with a couple fine India stone swipes would be a real asset to this kit IMO.

The Install.
    First, the product comes with no instructions, just a business card that directs you to YouTube videos. Frankly, the videos are not that great. If I was not as familiar as I am with the M&P workings, I may have had a tough time.

The install took me about an hour (including addressing the trigger bar issue discussed below) and was easy enough for a beginner to do with few problems… but anyone who thinks it will be as easy as the video is in for a shock. For instance, installation of the new striker block requires removal of the rear sight. The video shows Randy loosening the set screw on the rear sight and the sight practically falling off. Well, anyone who knows M&P’s knows that the sight dovetails are TIGHT… so much so that a drift punch may not do the trick. My BJM universal sight tool, however, made light work of this and rendered installation of the striker block very easy. I would consider a sight tool to be required for this install. The kit comes with a tool to hold the striker block spring down while the sight is being re-installed. I did not need to use it (and, frankly, I thought it would get in the way) but can see how some might want it if not using a sight tool move the rear sight.

Frame disassembly is a cinch. Tap out the two roll pins and the trigger pin, then remove the takedown lever. After that, everything should slide out with only minor effort. Side note: the Apex video shows removal of the Sear housing without removal of the trigger and locking block. This was not possible on my gun, but removing both at the same time is easy enough.

The most difficult part of the install (for me) was mating the trigger bar to the trigger. The issue is that it’s not easy to keep everything lined up when hitting the pin. Apex made this job much easier than it was on the original kit by including a pre-lubed pin partially installed in the trigger, so all you need to do is line things up and smack the heck out of it. I should note that driving the trigger bar pin into hard anodized aluminum is not particularly easy, so don’t be afraid to smack it good. I would recommend using a center punch to avoid the punch coming off the pin and marring the trigger finish.

A slave pin is included with the kit to hold the trigger spring in place while the trigger is being installed. It works as advertised.

Once all new parts were in, reassembly was just as easy as disassembly. No problems there at all. I know that some have had issues with installing the trigger pin, but I found it pretty easy using a punch to line up the parts from the right side of the gun while installing the pin from the left.

Problems.
    Here is where I ran into issues. Once everything was back together and the safeties were tested, I tried dry firing… nothing… totally dead trigger. So I compared the operation of the action to another one of the my M&P’s and noted that the sear did not move nearly as much. I was expecting that, but it did not even move enough to release the striker. Crap. This is where a trigger bar from Apex aligned on a jig would have made things better. The problem is easy enough to fix if you know what you are doing. Simply disassemble the gun again; bend the loop on the trigger bar that contacts the sear upward ever so slightly; reassemble; test; try again and bend it a little more if it still doesn’t work. I got it on the second time. I should note that I have about 8,000+ rounds through this particular gun, so it is possible that a combination of bad S&W tolerances and ordinary wear to the trigger bar caused the issue… but in my view, it still is inexcusable for part that are supposed to be “drop-in.”

Trigger Feel.
    The trigger itself will take some getting used to. When using proper shooting form, it will not present any problems. If, however, you do not shoot with the pad of your finger (i.e., you keep the trigger between the first and second knuckle) you may have some problems with the trigger safety. My wife certainly kept running into trigger safety issues when she tried it out. In sum, it’s not so great for a stressful situation, but perfectly fine for a range gun.

I do not have a pull gauge, but I would estimate trigger pull around 4lbs... maybe a tad less (based on comparisons to some of my other guns with known pull weights). The FSS kit is designed to give you a little more pull weight, but I used the stock trigger and sear springs rather than the ones that came with the FSS, so that lighted it up. Pre-travel is much less (about 1/8 inch). Over travel is non-existent. The reset definitely seems shorter. In sum, a large improvement. All of that said, don’t believe the advertisement that it will “mimic a 1911 trigger.” It will not. It's a totally different "feel" in my opinion. I like my (worked over) 1911's trigger better.

RAM.
    The tactile feedback on trigger reset is much improved. It is, however, nowhere near as positive as a Glock. The RAM took the M&P’s reset from ambiguous (i.e., terrible) to acceptable. Don’t expect anything more than this.

Conclusions.

First, the FSS and RAM are a huge improvement over the stock M&P trigger. I’m not sure that they are worth the money (FSS $159, RAM $22), but I don’t regret it… at least not nearly as much as some other purchases.

Second, there is no such thing as a drop-in part. Unless you are comfortable working on guns and making minor modifications to the trigger mechanism, take it to a gunsmith.

I took a some pictures along the way and attached a few of them… if you have a special request for a picture of a particular stage, let me know. I hope this is helpful to some.

I also polished the feed ramp and chamber while I was in the mood. :)

I’ll post again after taking it to the range tomorrow. :D

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
      photo 1.JPG
      50.2 KB · Views: 577
    • photo 2.JPG
      photo 2.JPG
      35.4 KB · Views: 457
    • photo 3.JPG
      photo 3.JPG
      30.2 KB · Views: 463
    • photo 4.JPG
      photo 4.JPG
      44.5 KB · Views: 443
    • photo 5.JPG
      photo 5.JPG
      47.5 KB · Views: 460
    • photo 6.JPG
      photo 6.JPG
      51.8 KB · Views: 467
    • photo 7.JPG
      photo 7.JPG
      55.9 KB · Views: 453
    • photo 8.JPG
      photo 8.JPG
      47.9 KB · Views: 454
    Last edited:

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I have no experience with S&W's M&P pistols, but I believe you did a very good thing. I'm impressed with the work you did, and glad you shared it.

I keep going back to the part where you had to remove the rear sight to remove the striker block to upgrade the trigger. I keep thinking "My Glock is so simple." But even with that pistol, I've been at the Reassemble and It Doesn't Work Stage.

Good luck with the gun!

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Well, there does not seem to be much interest in this, but I'm posting my follow-up anyway.

I took my newly-enhanced M&P to Gilberts on Saturday to give it a test drive. I put 200 rounds through it, and brought my favorite 1911 for a side by side comparison.

I started at 20 feet and shot for accuracy (freehand). I got a pretty good group, but not much better than the stock trigger produced when I was taking my time. See the attached picture with the small group for reference (that is a 15 round group!). I blame the full auto Tommy gun three stalls down for the flyer (I also drooled on myself a bit).

The trigger, however, really shined when I sped things up. The other picture was also at 20 feet and shows the result when I fired as fast as I could get a sight picture -- I would estimate around 1.5 rounds per second. Usually, that 15 round group would have been twice the size. :party29: I attribute this to a combination of the quick/light trigger pull and the improved reset. I was pretty happy with the results.

Then I switched to the 1911 for reference... and I was reminded why I like 1911 triggers. Even if it is slight, the modified M&P still has trigger creep. There is not much, but it's enough to insert some ambiguity into the trigger pull.

Conclusion: With the Apex parts, the M&P is light years better than stock, but still leaves some room for improvement. I don't know how much more can be done on this platform (I have never shot a professionally tweaked M&P), but don't expect the proverbial glass rod.

That's all for now.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
      photo 2.JPG
      43.1 KB · Views: 386
    • photo 1.JPG
      photo 1.JPG
      44.6 KB · Views: 394

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Nice write up and nice drink in your pic.

How do you like the sight pusher? Is it a universal one?

I was planning on purchasing an MGW M&P sight pusher, but then if I ever purchase a different handgun, I will need another new sight pusher, which is rather expensive.

I like to shoot production, so no FSS for me.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Nice write up and nice drink in your pic.

How do you like the sight pusher? Is it a universal one?

I was planning on purchasing an MGW M&P sight pusher, but then if I ever purchase a different handgun, I will need another new sight pusher, which is rather expensive.

I like to shoot production, so no FSS for me.

I did not notice the drink in the picture. In the middle of the install, my wife brought me a glass of Remy Martin XO. Did I mention how much I love her?

The sight pusher is a B&J Machine Model 500 universal front and rear sight tool -- it's $129 on Midway now, but I picked mine up slightly used for $90 on Gunbroker. I highly recommend it. I have not encountered a dovetailed semi-auto gun that it did not work on. It also comes with three different pusher heads for different sized sights, and mounts for putting it in a vice. If you are going to buy a sight tool, the universal one is only slightly more expensive than a gun-specific model, and it will last forever.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Well, there does not seem to be much interest in this, but I'm posting my follow-up anyway.

I don't know why I didn't see this sooner, but I'm certainly interested.

Thank you for the write up. I have two M&Ps I'd like to upgrade, I think with the DCAEK and the RAM.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I'd like to try out a FSS one day.

I put the DCAEK and the RAM in my gun and I love it. One thing I did do, at the recommendation of Dan @ Gun Connection, is swap the Apex trigger return spring back out for the factory trigger return spring. The factory spring is much lighter than the Apex and it lightens the trigger take up.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I didn't see this either. Great write up - very informative. Thanks for posting!

Last year, I installed the Apex USB (Ultimate Striker Block) on my M&P. That alone was a HUGE improvement to me.

I had been somewhat interested in the FSS, but after reading your review, I think I'm good enough as-is.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Negative on FFL/dealer for me, so I'm going to have to order from Midway. Thanks y'all. I delete my Midway Eblasts almost everyday though. Does anyone know of a coupon code that works for Midway? I might be getting the coupons confused with Brownells. I'm going to order the hold down tool too, and would appreciate it if someone could give me a valid coupon code that I can use for it. Otherwise it's an additional $65 for the hold down tool, which seems a tad steep for what you get.

bn_bullet

Nov 15, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    HT4- Good info about your M&P install and experience. I have an M&P that I bought from G&R Tactical with the DCAEK kit installed. The take-up on the trigger is better than stock and the trigger pull is also around 4lbs but oddly enough it still does not feel as good as my wife's stock M&P 9JG. Of course, hers is the Julie Goloski model and I don't believe that S&W does anything special to the trigger group assembly over a standard M&P but hers really is nicer.

I am happy with the DCAEK in my M&P but you are correct - it does not feel like a 1911 trigger. No complaints though, I still enjoy shooting the M&P; it's a great pistol.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Thanks to all for the kind words.

As a follow up, now that I have a trigger pull guage, I decided to test this setup. I was surprised to find that it is only 2lbs 9oz... far lighter than I presiously guessed (a little under 4lbs). As noted above, I did some spring mixing and matching (I kept the stock trigger and sear springs), so I was expecting the gun to come in under Apex's advertized 5lbs... but not that far.

In any case, it certainly does not feel that light to me... I suspect becuase it is a two stage trigger.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Thanks to all for the kind words.

As a follow up, now that I have a trigger pull guage, I decided to test this setup. I was surprised to find that it is only 2lbs 9oz... far lighter than I presiously guessed (a little under 4lbs). As noted above, I did some spring mixing and matching (I kept the stock trigger and sear springs), so I was expecting the gun to come in under Apex's advertized 5lbs... but not that far.

In any case, it certainly does not feel that light to me... I suspect becuase it is a two stage trigger.

The stock trigger spring makes most of that difference. I have the DCAEK on my gun and I originally swapped out the trigger spring, I went back to the factory trigger spring and it's like buttah :party29:

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I know this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one, I'll add an update, of sorts.

New production models (mine is a FS 40, test fired 4/19/2012) now use the sear block once used in the VTAC which is not compatible with the Apex RAM. :fie: I will try to attach an image, so that you can check before ordering. I guess the worst is that you may have to scrounge another sear block.

Attachments

• AWSxG.jpg
      AWSxG.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 291

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My sear block is the same in the .45 version, I guess that's why Apex doesn't offer one for the .45 then.

HT4 - thanks for your input in my thread, it was appreciated.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I know this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one, I'll add an update, of sorts.

New production models (mine is a FS 40, test fired 4/19/2012) now use the sear block once used in the VTAC which is not compatible with the Apex RAM. :fie: I will try to attach an image, so that you can check before ordering. I guess the worst is that you may have to scrounge another sear block.

I know that Midway USA sells them for about $25, if memory serves.

EDIT - What is the metal piece that goes through the cutout in the ejector? What does it do? I've never seen one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom