• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I have no answer to you’re direct question but what are you cleaning and how much do you shoot?

Most people over clean anyway.

If it’s say a Glock after a range trip, you could get by with just Hoppes Oil. It’s basically mineral oil and will do a decent enough job on carbon. Wipe down and run a couple patches through the barrel. No need to scrub or get the copper out every time.

Hoppes Elite cleaner isn’t as strong smelling as a standard household cleaner.

I’ve started using odorless mineral spirits followed up with Hoppes oil in some applications. Mineral spirits isn’t completely odorless but it seems that the odor doesn’t linger like Hoppes No9 does.

I used to use shooters choice I think that might now be G96 and that smells like cinnamon. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I agree that wipeout isn’t too strong. Especially the patch out version. Get the accelerator. And that is only for bores that really need it. Again, it’s no stronger than a standard household cleaner.

ETA: Wipeout really is amazing. You may never use a bore brush again.

Last edited:

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    At a now defunct range/ gun store . I once had a complementary promotional ultrasonic cleaning . We were impressed . But once the freebies ended , and they charged " regular " price , it would have been something for special occasions . for something difficult to disassemble and extra filthy . Too much $$ to clean regular guns .

I agree, I also change my own oil. :smoke:

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Hoppes 9 has a nice aroma and the fumes don’t seem to be …

What was the question, again?

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I use the tailgate of my truck. Neighbors see me out there with the tailgate dropped, they know it's a Gun Show!

Brownings.jpg

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I use the tailgate of my truck. Neighbors see me out there with the tailgate dropped, they know it's a Gun Show!
    Also good for when you’re not too keen on the folks considering buying the house next door. :D

And if you do it in your underwear while drinking a beer, that really seals the deal. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom