• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Wipe Out doesn't have a strong odor.
    I moved to a place that has an insulated cinder block building out back, I use that room for that chore, I used to use good old Hoppes #9, but that’s just too strong, I switched to their modern formula, no issues at all. What do you currently use that the Mrs dislikes so much?
    The only alternative I could possibly imagine would be an indoor range that had a lounge area that allowed cleaning, or maybe a local gun club/range?

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I moved to a place that has an insulated cinder block building out back, I use that room for that chore, I used to use good old Hoppes #9, but that’s just too strong, I switched to their modern formula, no issues at all. What do you currently use that the Mrs dislikes so much?
    The only alternative I could possibly imagine would be an indoor range that had a lounge area that allowed cleaning, or maybe a local gun club/range?
    Hoppes #9.

She hates it and we have a small bathroom that I have to clean in because we live in a small condo. The Hoppes does start to get strong after cleaning four guns or so.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Hoppes #9.

She hates it and we have a small bathroom that I have to clean in because we live in a small condo. The Hoppes does start to get strong after cleaning four guns or so.

Take your barrels outside and run your patches with Hoppes through them. Let them sit outside to soak while you go inside to clean rest of gun (oil shouldn’t give off aroma). Go back outside and brush and mop out barrels. When you bring them back inside to reassemble, they shouldn’t smell anymore.

Bag your Hoppes patches and throw in dumpster.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Take your barrels outside and run your patches with Hoppes through them. Let them sit outside to soak while you go inside to clean rest of gun (oil shouldn’t give off aroma). Go back outside and brush and mop out barrels. When you bring them back inside to reassemble, they shouldn’t smell anymore.

Bag your Hoppes patches and throw in dumpster.
    Nice!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One place I’ve been known to clean guns outside the home is my backyard.
    I prefer my front porch when a potential suitor stops by for one of my kids, or the Amazon delivery person looks like they might decide to backup 30 feet into my lawn rather than using my driveway spur to backup and turn around.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hoppes #9.

I highly recommend you don’t switch to Ballistol aerosol spray. The bottled stuff is fine and I enjoy the smell of it. The aerosol, bleck.

CLP could be an option. I’ve yet to meet a person who doesn’t like the smell of it. My wife included. In fact once time I’d used a bunch and gotten it on my shirt. My wife remarked what that alluring smell was a couple of hours later. I told her CLP and she asked if that was a cologne?

“No honey, it’s for cleaning my guns. Something you could wrap your hands around and help with a little more often *wink wink*”

I slept on the coach and also had to endure a conversation about how guns are stupid and I have too many of them.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Atlantic Tactical Firearms Training has a gun cleaning class on the 4th thursday of the month. It is free and you can clean your own gun there.
    Call Brian at 410-546-0003. Starts oa 5:30 and is in Salisbury, MD

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Hoppes #9.

Yeah, look, I love the smell of Hoppes #9, same as ANY red blooded American male, but after being around it long enough, I have to admit, I get a little woozy. Try this new Hoppes formula, I used it this afternoon and I can already see and thimlk klerlqy genok to riet sutff...

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Yeah, look, I love the smell of Hoppes #9, same as ANY red blooded American male, but after being around it long enough, I have to admit, I get a little woozy. Try this new Hoppes formula, I used it this afternoon and I can already see and thimlk klerlqy genok to riet sutff...
    I love the smell of #9 myself, however when I spilled a hole bottle on the floor in my basement workshop, the wife bitched about the smell for weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom