Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That's the best price I am seeing with the ammo search engines unless you go down to steel or aluminum case or reloads

I've bought Geco and shot it, I don't see anything wrong with it

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Have you tried using ammoseek.com or gunbot.net?

Good question!

No and I don’t know if it’s a testament to my own lameness or the fact that MDS is in my experience pretty much second to none as a resource for everything from news to naughty memes but, from plumbing problems to funny rashes this is literally THE first place that pops into my mind when taking to myself doesn’t work …

Edit the above: thinking back on it, another reason I post questions like this one here is in case notice of the <$15/50 (before tax) helps any other members …. Hope it does!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    That's the best price I am seeing with the ammo search engines unless you go down to steel or aluminum case or reloads

I've bought Geco and shot it, I don't see anything wrong with it

10k rds on the way for $3,191.29 delivered to my garage …

Now, how to work it so mama ain’t outside before the goods are in the garage and the FedEx truck is gone? !!!!!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I just did some looking around, for factory ammo, it’s the best deal going right now. Heck it’s better than most of the steel cased prices I’ve seen. It’s the “free shipping”, that makes this ammo less expensive.
    Good find.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    10k rds on the way for $3,191.29 delivered to my garage …

Now, how to work it so mama ain’t outside before the goods are in the garage and the FedEx truck is gone? !!!!!

Delivery day would be a good one for her to go to the nursery or to wherever her hobbies lie. For my wife it is the nursery this time of year. She's there in the AM and then planting in the afternoon (usually in the back) so have the weekends covered. We're still working stiffs, so I plan to work from home if delivery is during the work week. The power of suggestion works.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If I bought that much ammo my wife would ...

expect to shoot half of it!
    As would mine. Except mine would probably have expectations it was sent in my general direction…

Also, oomph. Unless I really went through a crap ton I’d have waited. Even with all the crap going on in the world a decent chance waiting 6 or 12 months and the price will be lower. There is still a lot of built in supply vs demand imbalance keeping prices high. If it was just reflecting increased commodity prices, energy and labor 9mm would be around 220-240 a case.

Sure, it might just go way higher if more crazy crap happens. Always that risk. Though I can’t help looking at that as why would I buy 5-7 years of 9mm?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As would mine. Except mine would probably have expectations it was sent in my general direction…

Also, oomph. Unless I really went through a crap ton I’d have waited. Even with all the crap going on in the world a decent chance waiting 6 or 12 months and the price will be lower. There is still a lot of built in supply vs demand imbalance keeping prices high. If it was just reflecting increased commodity prices, energy and labor 9mm would be around 220-240 a case.

Sure, it might just go way higher if more crazy crap happens. Always that risk. Though I can’t help looking at that as why would I buy 5-7 years of 9mm?

Thinking simitaneously forward and backward, would you have bought 5-7 years worth at 165-170 a case 2 years ago?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Right now Selway Armory has 10% off Black Hills ammunition...their 9mm FMJ is below $15/box of 20. At checkout use the code BHA10 for the discount. The site says the promotion goes until inventory is depleted.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thinking simitaneously forward and backward, would you have bought 5-7 years worth at 165-170 a case 2 years ago?
    I pretty much did. So I know it’s harder to frame my mind right to think about it. But at the time I also knew accounting for inflation ammo prices were basically at historic lows. So going even lower probably wasn’t super likely.

Ammo isn’t at historic highs right now, but still well above the average over the last 20 years and generally trending downward. Just in the last 3-5 months it’s dropped about 15-20%.

If you need ammo get it. But better to amortize purchases. Running low or out? Or even just replenishing it probably makes sense to buy a couple cases. If prices drop a further few cents a round, maybe by a couple or a few more cases. Etc. rinse and repeat. You won’t get all your ammo at super low prices and you introduce risk that prices won’t continue trending down. But you are significantly more likely to get an overall lower average price for your ammo.

We know what the floor is. Roughly the inflation rate on top of what prices were 2 years ago. We aren’t remotely close to prices that low yet. So if demand continues softening or supply continues going up, prices will continue trending in that direction. Prices could be 18 cents a round and manufacturers make money. But that’s around the floor versus what we saw 2 years ago if you factor in extremely high inflation. Manufacturers are dealing with commodity prices above that still, so I doubt we will see ammo dropping below about 20-22cpr for 9mm until commodities move more towards inflation rather than being above inflation.

But still a lot of room for prices to come down.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    I’ve populated my own phone calendar with a reminder to check 9mm ball prices each 4 months going forward. Should be intere$ting …

10k rds for our clan is 2 years worth at best so, it’ll come up for me one way or the other …!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve populated my own phone calendar with a reminder to check 9mm ball prices each 4 months going forward. Should be intere$ting …

10k rds for our clan is 2 years worth at best so, it’ll come up for me one way or the other …!
    I envy you, but a little part of me is glad because that would be a heck of a financial ouch.

Though I am hoping someday to get there. But I am the only one who really shoots in my family. My kids do a little, but there is about a 0% chance my wife will let them shoot handguns. She is okay enough letting me take them to the range to shoot rifles. So not something I am going to push (she doesn't like guns). When they are adults she doesn't really have a say.

So 9mm, unless I buy/build a PCC, isn't something that is ever likely to go up a ton beyond what I personally shoot. Which is probably at most 1k a year right now, and that is a likely exaggeration. Just too busy. I am getting to the range about 8 times a year right now. My (non-retired, kids still in the house) ideal is around 15 times a year, plus busting clays a few times a year. So about double what I am shooting now. Pre-pandemic I was getting out around a dozen times a year (just about once a month). Once my kids are older and moved out and especially retired I'd rather be getting there more like two dozen times a year (or have a place I can just shoot in my backyard whenever I want).

I do reload a lot, so commercial ammo is less of a concern right now. But I KICKING myself for not being more aggressive when Walmart was liquidating everything. I should have taken a day or two off work and just driven to all of the Walmarts in the state. I did manage some damned good deals, but nothing super high volume and I was stupid enough to be nice and "leave some for another guy". I still remember rolling in to one and basically all I manage was a few boxes of 124gr golden saber at a great price and 3x100rd boxes of 38spc for STUPID cheap (7cpr I think?). The clerk there said some guys came in the night before (I was going to head over that evening, but I knew my wife would be mad) and filled 2 shopping carts and bought it all. A couple of county cops who were stocking up (and bought like 30k rounds of 223, 5.56 and 9mm).

Also I should have gotten 45acp because I was pretty sure some day I'd get a 45acp handgun (and I did 2 months later).

Another walmart their 223 and 5.56 was in the locked gun cabinet. It took 10 minutes to get a manager and in that time some other guy came in looking for ammo. well I already had all of the 9mm on the counter to buy and I was waiting for all of the 223/5.56. I decided to be a nice guy and let him have half of the 223/5.56 that was in the gun cabinet even though I was there first. So I walked away with 900rds of WB 9mm, 300rds of winchester steel case 9mm and only 600rds of Rem 223.

And then the last one I found any ammo in, I only picked up 900rds of 5.56 and left most of it (some guy had JUST bought all of their 9mm that was left). Later that day I was kicking myself, like why the heck did I only buy 900rds? So I went back at lunch and bought what was left, which was only 450rds (there was like 6000rds when I was there that morning). I had gotten some other 9mm one or two other places, but it was very much "sorry, all we have left is 2 boxes that was sitting behind something else".

Not all of it was stupid cheap, which was probably why. Just a nice discount. Like most of the 5.56 I got was only like 22cpr and some was 18cpr. Which today I want to cry about, but at the time when it was going for like 25cpr, wasn't like they were giving it away. The 9mm was also mostly around 8-12cpr, with 8 being fantastic, but 12 only being a really good deal (heck, I had gotten some 9mm on a BF deal with rebate shipped that was like 12.5cpr). The 38spc was stupid cheap at 7cpr when cheap 38spc was 18cpr. And that remington 223 I also should have just bought all of it and not been a nice guy as it was 14cpr.

In the end all I managed to score was 1300rds of 9mm brass, 300rds steel case, 300rds of 40 (which I don't own anything in, but the walmart had it for 10cpr which I just couldn't pass up and I sold later for under current going rate, but was still like $100), 300rds of 38spc, 1350rds of 5.56 and 600rds of .223. One buddy ended up with 6000rds of Winchester 5.56. His friend was in a Walmart buying ammo and asked "hey, do you want me to buy any? It is 20cpr" The response should be "how much do they have? Sure I'll take..."

Not "Yeah, get everything they have". Turns out everything they have was 6000 rounds. Upside, that is a stupid fantastic deal looking at things NOW. So silver lining, but I still remember talking to my buddy and he was a little upset (at himself) at the time. Not so now. I also know a few other guys who managed to score several thousand 9mm and 223/5.56, as well as 40 and 45 for those who shoot it.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Holee KRAP!

Just got a notice from ammo shop online.com my order will be here …

TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

Placed the order at 8pm on Sat (4/30) evening and going by business days arrival tomorrow (Tue) puts it at basically Next Day (fist pumps)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom