ANYONE USE HODGDON CLAYS POWDER ? IN 20 GAUGE ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I am in the process of doing some test loads in 20 gauge for my cast slug reloads. I'm trying to come up with a reloading recipe for 50 yard or less 20 gauge slug loads and I am just curious if anyone here has tried using Clays in 20 gauge loads. I'm not speaking of International Clays or Universal Clays, I am speaking of specific "Clays" powder.

I'm not interested in replies related to "you ain't not 'sposed to use that" or "you should be using this and/or that". I already know this and/or that, BUT, I see there's lots of guys using Clays in 20 Gauge. I'm just curious is anyone here uses it for 20 gauge as well.

If you don't use Hodgdon Clays for 20 gauge, or have tried it, I don't really care about other details and opinions. I know there's 20 other powders out there that can be used as well and I'm not interested what you use in your reloads. Just trying to get the facts and avoid all the wasted reading. ( it's inevitable on this forum, but, I must try )

I use the Clays in my 12 gauge reloads for both Clays, Turkey, and slug reloads and it is listed for smaller pistol calibers, SO, somewhere in there it will work for my slug casts. I AM NOT asking for recipes or powder measurements, I am asking for experience in using it for 20 gauge. Maybe even 16 Gauge. I just want one powder for my shotshells.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Doesn't look like regular clays is meant for 20 gauge.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5249

No kidding. That I already know. LOL

"I'm not interested in replies related to "you ain't not 'sposed to use that" or "you should be using this and/or that". I already know this and/or that, BUT, I see there's lots of guys using Clays in 20 Gauge. I'm just curious is anyone here uses it for 20 gauge as well."

"( it's inevitable on this forum, but, I must try )"

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    No kidding. That I already know. LOL

"I'm not interested in replies related to "you ain't not 'sposed to use that" or "you should be using this and/or that". I already know this and/or that, BUT, I see there's lots of guys using Clays in 20 Gauge. I'm just curious is anyone here uses it for 20 gauge as well."

"( it's inevitable on this forum, but, I must try )"

Sure, if you are intent on blowing yourself up. If I see you running down the street on fire, I will try to put you out too. Sorry, just who I am. :D

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Sure, if you are intent on blowing yourself up. If I see you running down the street on fire, I will try to put you out too. Sorry, just who I am. :D

Naaaaaa, He's not going to blow himself up, He's going to blow up one of the guns of the people he sells reloads to. ( quote.... I only sell the components... LOL )

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Do you think data just comes out of thin air? Someone has to test it to come up with data. They most likely do the same thing I am sure SOMD is, they use other known data based on the components they are using and go from there.

I understand if you guys do not want to test new loads but if someone else does dont give him crap (especially, SOMD, he probably has one of the most extensive reloading experience then anyone on this board)

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Do you think data just comes out of thin air? Someone has to test it to come up with data. They most likely do the same thing I am sure SOMD is, they use other known data based on the components they are using and go from there.

I understand if you guys do not want to test new loads but if someone else does dont give him crap (especially, SOMD, he probably has one of the most extensive reloading experience then anyone on this board)[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Naaaaaa, He's not going to blow himself up, He's going to blow up one of the guns of the people he sells reloads to. ( quote.... I only sell the components... LOL )

Well, here's the thing Coopermania, I only reload per reload data for my buddies guns and make the effort to clone what they have been shooting of commercial ammo. I think this why we reload to begin with. This Clays in the 20 gauge is for my personal use. In my own personal gun.

I see a lot of guys who only reload per every detail of their little handbooks. I have no issues with that. But how do you think Universal and International Clays powders came to be... I think Darwin said something about evolution. I think we started with some sulphur and saltpeter back in the day...

I'm not going to blow myself up using a little Clays powder in a 20 gauge shell when it is already highly recommended and widely used for shotshells. I know when enough is enough. Afterall, I did almost the same thing with my 12 gauge Crow and Turkey reloads using Clays, and went from a factory data load to a shotshell that my buddies want more of because the "stores don't sell these".

Fascinatingly enough Clays is used in pistol loads right up to 12 gauge shotshells. I'm confident 20 Gauge falls in the middle there somewhere.

Did you know that "reloading data" is "recommended" data, sort of like a speed limit sign on the highway... it's a recommended speed. Don't tell me you drive 55 when it says 55 and 35 when it says 35. I know you hammer it a bit different than the sign states. If not, you are not human. Besides, why do some highways go from 55 to, then they change it to 65 10 years later, then on to higher speeds ? I'll have to assume the SHA's are breaking the law ? Ok, that's enough we get the point. Besides how do we know there's 25 grains of powder in every shells in a box of shells ? We don't. But that few +/- grains hasn't seems to light anyone of fire.

Where we was ?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    While here, on my own coffee break, I guess I should mention the fact that what brought this thread up was all of the other guys who have been using Clays for 20 gauge reloads on many other forums ( yes, even though there's no info stated, that you can or can not do it ). MDS is NOT the be all there be of reloading forums. I'm simply curious if anyone HERE on MDS has tried it.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have not reloaded shotgun, or looked up the reloading data other than the Hodgdon online.
    Here is some data that may help sort out why it is not recommended.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/articleindex/articles/powder/powders.htm

Clays
    A very fast burn rates powder that is relatively soft, progressive and elastic. It is clean burning and meters will to offer consistent loading. 12 gauge target and light field loads.

International Clays
    Considered to be a medium-fast burn rate powder. It covers high-performance, high-velocity 1 ounce to 1-1/8 ounce 12 gauge lead loads and 20 gauge 3/4 ounce to 7/8 ounce loads.

Universal Clays
    Developed to be the most elastic of all the Clay-series of powders. Covers a performance range from heavy 12 gauge clay target loads to 1-1/4 ounce upland field loads. Also covers a fairly wide range of 16, 20 and 28 gauge loads.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    UPDATE: Final Result

I have finally found a 20 gauge load using the Hodgdon Clays powder in my reloads that I like and has been proving in a hunting situation. I shot a few this morning and took a nice big Crow with one of my test reloads. I do use the Lee Dippers to reload my shotshells and I have found that the 2.8cc dipper gives me just what I am looking for in the 20 gauge. Recoil is perfect, not too much, and patterns were really nice with both a modified and full choke in the Remington 870 Exp..

I tried a couple with 3.1cc and that was a bit much in comfort of recoil. It was no worse than a 3" 12 gauge, but, I'm not trying to launch rockets to the Moon with the 20 gauge. Now I can get to reloading with the Clays powder and not have to spend additional money on the second powder with Hodgdon HS-6 that I had been using. I think the Clays is going to make a fine powder for my 16 gauge reloads as well.

I like the idea of being able to reload for three gauges and using the same powder. That was the whole point of my experiments. I started out at 1.3cc of Clays and worked up. 1.3cc was like firing a .22 rifle. 2.8cc is basically that of a 12 gauge 2-3/4" low brass game / clay load, however, it's very nice in the 20 Ga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom