• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noone

Jul 3, 2011
    I just picked up 2 pounds of the 8208 to reload my 223 and 308 with, does anyone here use 8208 xbr powder? I read up about it before I bought it and it sounded very good but then I found some posts about it not cycling in a semi auto rifle. I was hoping someone here might be able to let me know if this is true or not before I open them and start using it. If it won't cycle my 308 it's useless to me.
    Thanks for any info on this powder
    If it wont work in my 308 looks like I will have a couple pounds of it to sell or trade if anyone is interested in it

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Works good for me so far in my 308 Ruger SR762...also have used it for 77gr nosler custom comps in my ar15...no issues at all..pretty accurate so far...

noone

Jul 3, 2011
    Thanks for the information. I saw 3 different posts in other forums about it not cycling in semi auto's, I will load up 40 rounds or so and go try them. I read a number of good posts and reviews about it but didn't see the bad reviews on it till I started looking for load info, that's when I found the post about it not cycling. Thanks for the info.
    I didn't want to open it then find out it wasn't for semi auto weapons
    Thanks for the help

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I ran a set of test loads with 168smk's in the 308 from min load to max, no issues, even on the lowest end...

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have several students using 8208 in .308s with 175 grain bullets and velocities have been very stable with excellent accuracy. Good long range load, but we've been running it in bolt guns.

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I just started using IMR 8208 XBR for my .308 168 GR BTHP rounds. Ran a test with my Savage Model 12 F/TR shooting 10 rounds per load, starting at 41.5gr to 42.9gr in .2gr increments. All loads shot very nice groups, with the best group (.8" at 100yds) and least felt recoil being the 41.5gr rounds. Average muzzle velocity ranged from 2,764 ft/sec (41.5gr) to 2,840 ft/sec (42.9gr). Standard deviation was as low as 6 ft/sec for 5 shots and as high as 15 ft/sec. Note on testing - outside temperature was 81 degrees and I believe the higher standard deviations were caused by not giving the barrel enough time to cool between 5 shot groups. Overall, 8208 XBR looks like it gives pretty good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom