Anyone try waterproofing gear with Flex Seal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

I picked up a new Condor Bison Backpack at the last Chantilly show - nice pack btw - and although I like its utility, I don't believe its waterproof.

I'm going on my 1st Grader kid on his first Cub Scout Campout this weekend, and was thinkin before I take this backpack out in the elements, maybe I'd try my hand at waterproofing and "ruggedizing" it.

My thought is to turn it outside in, blouse it out so its innards were completely exposed, tape off the zippers, and then spray the interior with a couple coats of that Flex Seal stuff.

After that dried, I'd turn it back outside out, and then hit the exterior with a can of something like Camp Dry, Nikwax, etc..

Part of the reason for the waterproofing, is cus I normally keep my laptop in my backpack for school, so I'd want to waterproof this thing anyway.

Anyone see any downsides to this idea of mine? What y'all think?

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have had some luck with Nickwax tech wash. Not permanent but has gotten some gear through some rain.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Have you considered mink oil on the outside? My concerns with the flex seal are that it may affect the material and break it down over time. The other is that it may harden or negatively affect the flexibility of the bag. I don't know much (anything) about flex seal's chemical make up, but I do know that it keeps air from coming in my screened in porch :lol2:

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Have had some luck with Nickwax tech wash. Not permanent but has gotten some gear through some rain.

I've tried that on some of my other camp gear and I gotta say, it only lasts maybe a storm or two before it fails. For the price, I wasn't really satisfied.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Have you considered mink oil on the outside? My concerns with the flex seal are that it may affect the material and break it down over time. The other is that it may harden or negatively affect the flexibility of the bag. I don't know much (anything) about flex seal's chemical make up, but I do know that it keeps air from coming in my screened in porch :lol2:

Interesting idea, but will it be greasy in the end. I did for a sec consider some wax I have for some Filson Tin-Cloth pants I have, but that's more for cotton or canvas. You do have a good point though on I have no idea what it'll do to the nylon over time. Hmmm

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    The Condor is bigger than all 3, and over $100 less than the somewhat comparable 72... I'll take the compromise and keep the extra coin in my pocket.
    Sorry, but cub scout camping trip doesn't require a bag bigger than a 72 hour bag. Just saying having done it myself. I picked up my rush 24 at oaks in april for $100 NWT. have fun, I miss those camping trips with those little fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom