Anyone take a deer with a broken leg? how was the meat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I have been watching this buck since early October that has a broken hind leg. I finally got some good trail cam photos of him and have started to wonder if the meat on the broken hind quarter will be useable. I'm no doctor but it looks to me like his leg has been broken for a long time and the leg has atrophied. photos follow, tell me what you think and or if you have any similar experience.

I will go out with the bow Friday and/or Saturday and I will take him down given an opportunity but I have been wondering about the meat quality.

WGI_0002.jpg

WGI_0017.jpg

WGI_0019.jpg

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I killed a seven point about 10 years ago that was missing the lower half of his front leg it looked like it had been broken and somehow got removed and healed over, I had no problem with the meat from that deer. His antler on the opposite side was misformed. I noticed on the picture that the antler on that buck is the same way, just wondering if antler growth has anything to do with an injury like that.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    maybe just a deformed from birth (antler).. leg.. maybe got hit by a car?

last week.. another hunting club member took a shot at a doe w/ a bow couple weeks back.. never saw the deer until he showed us a picture from his trail cam.. eating the corn pile with a bow still stuck on the front shoulder.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I killed a seven point about 10 years ago that was missing the lower half of his front leg it looked like it had been broken and somehow got removed and healed over, I had no problem with the meat from that deer. His antler on the opposite side was misformed. I noticed on the picture that the antler on that buck is the same way, just wondering if antler growth has anything to do with an injury like that.

I have read articles where biologists' have said that if a right leg is injured the left antler would be deformed the next cycle on antler growth and vice-versa.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have read articles where biologists' have said that if a right leg is injured the left antler would be deformed the next cycle on antler growth and vice-versa.

I thought I had heard that somwhere before but I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The difference between the meat on the good leg and the meat on the crippled leg will probably be somewhat like difference between the meat of a pasture-raised chicken's legs vs. a cage (industrially) raised legs. The chickens raised in the big houses are usually so big that they can't really use their legs much and that's why the leg meat is a little...flimsy I guess is the word. It's not as dense and solid as the stuff you'll find on a bird that ran around during its life. Kind of like the difference between farmed vs. wild fish. Both are edible and good, but one is more flavorful and denser.

In any case please kill it and satisfy our now mutual curiosity! Hopefully you don't catch polio :)

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    The meat should be safe to eat (at least, no safety difference in the meat from one vs the other leg, if the injury is healed and there is no sign of local linfection...). A broken leg at the right time of year could very well lead to deformed or stunted antlers, but there would be no left vs right correlation (i.e., if the left leg is dinged it won't necessarily be the right antler deformed -- could be either, both, or neither) but not likely unless the injury was healing during a critical stage of antler growth. This would be unlikely to apply in subsequent years.

(I AM a biologist, and I occasionally play one on TV:D)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    few years ago i put down a deer in our yard that apparently recently got hit by car and had one rear leg shattered and in bad shape. dressed it and took to butcher and let's just say he wasn't real thrilled. i guess he thought good chance if not certainty that it affected the rest of the body/meat.

with an old injury and otherwise doing well, prob not an issue.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Thanks for the input guys. Now the pressure is on to whack him and answer some questions. This is my first year hunting and I only have one notch on the riser :) but I'll do my best.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    maybe just a deformed from birth (antler).. leg.. maybe got hit by a car?

last week.. another hunting club member took a shot at a doe w/ a bow couple weeks back.. never saw the deer until he showed us a picture from his trail cam.. eating the corn pile with a bow still stuck on the front shoulder.

Someone needs to teach him to shoot the arrow at the deer and not the bow.:lol:

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    I would say its fine...one look when the skin is off should tell you a story..

Bucks often grow a strange side when a leg is broken or injured

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The broken appendage could be the result of running and stepping in a groundhog hole. Farmers have a problem with the same result with their livestock.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    The injury is old and healed as evidenced by the weird left antler, which grew that way due to the right side injury. The unused damaged leg has atrophied muscle, but what is there is ok to eat. The rest of the meat is ok as well. The meat as a whole is only in question if there is a festering wound at the time of the kill, as such a wound may have developed gangrene which then gets into the bloodstream and can make all of the animal toxic.

Buff17, who did that mount? eeek!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I took a chick with a broken leg........The CASKET gave me a rug burn!!!!... BTW I have taken a deer with a damaged leg.....

Uuuggghhhh,,,,,,,,was she dead??? Or were the two of you just getting kinky at the funeral parlor??? I think you meant the word CAST and not CASKET.:lol2:

I saw a deer in my backyard last year with a cast on it's leg and using deer crutches........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom