• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i have seen pictures of ARs where the buffer tube has no visible threads on the tube beyond the castle nut. both of my lowers have half a dozen threads or so showing and even when the stock is fully retracted there is still a small gap between the castle nut and the buttstock.

basiclly im asking(because i searched and came up empty handed) if anyone has or has heard of shortening the buffer tube to allow it to thread in further and thus eliminate the gap in question.

are there any considerations to have when cutting? like say square cut, measure twice(or more), de-bur very well, anything else??

john

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just get a PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube, it'd be a lot less head-ache and it takes care of all your listed queries.

You even get QD swivel holes to boot.

It's what I did for my Model 8L Stag, wouldn't hesitate to do it again either.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    could you post a picture? where are the holes? how much since i'd prob be buying a parts kit that comes with a buffer tube so i would have to swap out and have a buffer tube just as spare or something.

also i am pretty set up to cut one i was mainly wonder if it had been done for the same reason. or if i would effect anything by having that slight bit more pressure on the buffer spring?

john

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    I'm getting ready to shorten one for a 9mm SBR I'm working on. I want the smallest overall length as possible. I'm also gonna try a 308 buffer in the shortened tube. All I need is a 1 3/16x16 die and I'm set to experiment.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    OH! so your actually gonna cut the threads "off" and re-thread further down?! interesting, but you cant really make the overall length less because of the buttstock length right?

john

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The regular modstock is shorter then a standard m4 stock. Maybe a half inch. When fully collapsed the buffer tube is flush with the back of the stock.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The extra threading is there for a reason. I suggest you don't futz with it.

Doesnt it allow for easier install? My gf's old cheapo buffer tube has less threads than the BCM replacment i got her.

Wont shortening the tube affect performance and relieability of the rifle?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    You do realize that the buffer has to oscillate inside the buffer tube?

I'd make sure that the new shortened travel of your buffer doesn't impede ejection.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i do realize, and im not super worried as my idea will be shortening only by like 1/4 - 1/2 inch. im sure any large reduction would require some tweeking to the buffer and/or spring to keep the stroke working as it should.

john

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    You do realize that the buffer has to oscillate inside the buffer tube?

I'd make sure that the new shortened travel of your buffer doesn't impede ejection.

I am going shorten mine as much as possible, at least an inch. But, I am using mine on a 9mm build, so the case length is much less than 5.56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom