• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Ok, I'm curious. We all know that gun shops have been nuts for the last few months with gun & ammunition sales. Very nuts. But I'm wondering if people have noticed a corresponding increase in shooters at ranges?

I can tell you that we lowly Fudd's, that shoot at Loch Raven, certainly have.

On January 1st of this year the Loch Raven Skeet & Trap Center instituted a new safety training & regististration program. It can be done at the center (there are 2 computer stations set up), or preferably, online prior to your coming out to shoot. It consists of reading our safety rules, watching 3 short videos pertaining to shotgun safety (which we got from the Midway USA safety library), and taking a quiz - which you must pass to proceed. After the quiz you fill out the registration information and electronically submit it.

In less than 2 months there have been over 1,300 people take the course and register. Over 1,300. That's phenomenal. It's the winter. Loch Raven's board and management are thrilled and we're happy that people are coming out to shoot clays. And we seem to be getting more new shooters than ever.

So I'm wondering if other ranges have experienced similar increases in shooters and shooting. I hope so.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's because people can't find anything other than shotgun ammo, so they are forced to shoot trap and skeet. :D

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Circle,

I'm a volunteer on the shotgun committee at AAF&G. I've also noticed more folks coming out to shoot during our limited Saturday hours, except on nasty days like today. I've also experienced a lot more folks coming up and inquiring about how to become a member of the club.

JoeR

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Last few times I went to Delmarva my father and I had the range to ourselves . That said we go during the week and get there before they open and leave around noon but there was always a few others there It seems most do not want to use up any ammo as it is not readily replaceable at the moment .

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    That's because people can't find anything other than shotgun ammo, so they are forced to shoot trap and skeet. :D

I wouldn't say that. Shotgun shell sales are starting to go nuts, too. And prices are going up. In January I went to Shyda's in PA and bought the "makin's" to produce 10,000 28 & .410 shells. A friend went there last week and was told there was now a 2,000 primer limit.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****Lots more people at our local range. Individuals, families, etc.. Our membership has gone up over the last couple of years and many more people have taken our various safety courses, etc..

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    I haven't been to a range since early Dec.
    There is no way I'm throwing my "gold" down range.

I've been shooting for over 20 years, so I'm fine.
    It's my kids that keep asking me to go to the range or out back to shoot.

It's kinda funny and sad that my 8 year olds know more about whats going on the the goofballs the other night ripping our rights away and laughing about it.

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    :mad54:I also was invited to go to Florida to brush up on my sidearm, close combat rifle and long range shooting.
    The issue is clear. Replacing the 500 plus rounds needed for the weekend.

Need to bring 200-300round of 9mm
    300-400 rounds off 223
    40-50 rounds of 308 going down range.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    In conjunction with lots of new recreational clay shooters, we're also looking at how to attract new competative skeet shooters. We were thrilled when our two big 5-gun shoots were chosen by the National Skeet Shooting Assoc. (NSSA) as 2 of the top 100 shoots in the US in 2012. We'd like to build on it.

Mx121

Jan 26, 2013
    Severn
    Seems like the times I've been to On Target lately the range has been dam near empty. I haven't been to the range since beginning of January. Too high price and hard to find ammo now too waste.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So I take it my old LRSTC card from like two years ago is no longer good?

Anyway, back on topic. The last couple times at Freestate I've noticed a lot more family outings. People teaching their wives and children.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I was the RSO at the Elk Neck State Park shooting range about a month ago and was surprised at the number of people shooting .223/556/7.63x39, they came and they shot but didn't stay as long as usual.

Lots of 30-06, .303 & .308 and of course .22.

I'll be there again this Saturday so come out and shoot and say HI !

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I have noticed a lot more "newbs" at Free State... I judge this by the fact that they are filling out first-timer paper work and don't have a membership.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Do you think they practice firing off in the air too?

This is pretty much what I do when I skeet shoot :innocent0

I've recently been shooting clays alot more lately simply because a) I really enjoy it and b) its about the same price as a round of golf, but I get to shoot stuff.

I've also taken the plunge into reloading 12ga, even though everyone told me its not worth it. So far I've had no trouble finding supplies other than powder, as I think that all the .45 shooters are buying up all the shotgun powders :mad54:

I just got 5000 W209's in the mail, ordered them a week ago.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plenty of shotgun reloading consumables available at shydas, and Richland shooters supply.

Get as much lead as you can afford, shydas was 35 for eagle shot, last week it was 38 and their next shipment is claimed to be 40. We were saying its going to be back to reclaimed if new lead gets too expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom