• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    My friend is getting a HBAR soon and thinking of reloading.
    Myself, I have not reloaded for the 5.56 Nato rounds so looking for
    some advice on where to buy brass, primers and bullets.
    Natchezss? Seems to have good prices. Also what would recommend
    for bullets weights and powders? JMHO I'd go with 68gr and 75 gr bullets.
    But unsure what powders.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I reload for ar. Been using varget but have used reloaded 15.

As for weight. 69gr for me. May want to check what is the barrel twist.

As for brass, i originally buy some manufactured rounds and use them to reload. Powder i buy at shows or local store. Bullets are from midway or natches which ever is cheaper.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Just doing some google searches. 55 grain Ball is military load at 3250 fps.
    that with a 1:14 rifling. Don't see what powder for that.

Edit ...found the data

Powder............ published max load & velocity for 55 gr FMJ bullet

Reloader 15......max load = 28.0c gr velocity = 3390 fps
    Varget..............max load = 27.5c gr velocity = 3384 fps
    H4895..............max load = 26.0c gr velocity = 3315 fps
    BL-C(2)............max load = 27.5 gr velocity = 3313 fps
    A-XMR-2015......max load = 25.0 gr velocity = 3281 fps
    A-XMR-2495.....max load = 26.2c gr velocity = 3271 fps
    V-N135.............max load = 26.8c gr velocity = 3268 fps

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    As lx1x said, bullet wieght depends on twist (as generally heavier bullets are longer and thus require a tighter twist to properly stabilize).

I use varget and use 55gr V-Max's for all my ARs (blasting ammo), though I do have loads for heavier bullets and other companies such as Barnes for certian ARs.

Powder usually comes from the stores that carry it, bullets either from stores or from midwayusa if the shops don't have what I'm looking for on the shelves.

Brass, I use used brass for blasting but Winchester factory new brass for match grade loads.

As for Primers I usually use CCI's #41 "small rifle for 5.56" primers as they are harder than regular small rifle primers, thus less prone to slam fires in rifles (like ARs) with a free floating firing pin. That said, I know folks who use regular small rifle primers with no issues. I figure using the harder primers is a nice little bit of extra insurance, even if it is just for peace of mind.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have never bought .223 brass, and I still have a couple thousand I need to prep. I usually just pick it up off the floor of whatever range I'm at. Or have the non-reloading shooter give me theirs.

Jim

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    I would start with commercial ammo. Find out what weight bullets tend to group best from that rifle - not a guarantee the same weight in a reload will shoot well, but at least a good place to start. Stick with brands that have reusable brass. PMC is good reload brass, Federal is usually very soft and wears out fast. Military loads have crimped primers. The crimp must be removed before reloading. Use the harder CCI 41 type primers until you know the softer primers are safe (no firing on chambering) from your AR. Decide whether you are going to load for max velocity or max accuracy - best accuracy is usually a few grains down from max powder loads. Brass for AR's needs to be full length resized, not just neck sized, for reliable feeding. Don't buy big bulk packs of bullets or powder until you find what shoots well from that rifle.
    Unless you are reloading some special bullet or cannot wait for a sale, you can still find commercial plinking/practice ammo almost as cheap as you can make it. Especially if you have to figure in the cost of a complete reloading setup. If you only need dies or a case trimmer for your existing equipment that is different.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Why are you looking at max velocities? If you're loading anything 69 grain or under, you're not going to be shooting it long range, where velocity is necessary for accuracy/stability/wind resistance. Loading to max velocity will wear your brass out in a couple firings, wear your throat out in 2-3k rounds (degrading accuracy), and generally beat the heck out of the gun. You won't know/see a difference between 2700 fps (a mild to mid load), and 3300 fps. No need to pay for the extra powder! If we're talking about slaying zombies, however, belay my last...

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    yeah will also say if you aren't shooting say past 300-400 yards i wouldn't really worry about anything over 55gr. Doesn't matter if its a 1:7 twist or 1:9 55gr will be fine and they stay pretty darn flat and accurate out to 300 yards. I recommend varget with some 55gr vmax's. have over 1k of those at the house right now. For just plinking and nothing that needs super accuracy i would just buy some cheap bulk 55gr say from a gun show. I still get 2-3 moa with the cheap stuff.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Stabilizing rates for ARs from mil spec are 55 grain 1:14 and 1:12 the first for maximum fragmentation the latter for accuracy 1:9 for increased accuracy with heavier grains ie 62 1:7 for 69 grain plus but as always find out what your gun likes

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I often feed my AR's reloads.

What I load is basically plinking ammo and not intended for precision shooting. I buy new brass for many of my firearms when I need to, but .223 isn't one. There are plenty of reloadable .223/5.56 cases to be had for free. Most range brass bags I bring home contain many more .223 cases than I fired.

Bullets: 55 gr Widener's mil-spec and Prvi from Graf's have fired as good in my guns as Sierra, Remington and Winchester from Midway. Once in a while I'll get a box of heavier projectiles, but I've not seen any difference in accuracy of the 1:9 barrels @ 100 yds in my guns.

Primers: Having read about slam fire issues with reloads, I was timid. I got some CCI No. 41 primers and tried them, but regular SR primers work just as well for me. I seat them in the cases where they belong. I purchase my primers from various sources locally and stock up ahead.

Powder: Folks have their preferences. I started with IMR3031 because I use it in many other rounds. I tried IMR4198 because I had some on hand - it didn't work as well. I recently picked up some H4198 and it seems to run my AR's just fine. The jury is still out on my go-to .223 powder.

Dies: You didn't ask, but they need to be considered. I shoot three different AR's. My Bushmaster H-Bar chokes on rounds sized with Lee full sizing dies. It must have either factory ammo or loads produced with my RCBS small base die set. The other two guns don't care - they'll eat anything. I simply feed them all what they like.

Primer Pockets: You didn't ask about this either, but it's a concern in reloading .223 cases. Often you'll find reloadable cases with military primer crimps. The crimp will need to be removed prior to re-priming the case. That's another "Oprah". I won't go into now, but it's not difficult to do.

Last weekend we had some AR's out. I grabbed a couple hundred rounds from the back shelf. I've always labeled my loads. Turned out I'd loaded those rounds back in December, 1995. At the time they probably cost about 9 cents per round...and every one went bang beautifully. :)

Loading for AR's is not difficult.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    powders - plinking... WC844,WC846...others IMR8208, IMR4895, WW-748
    bullets plinking ..surplus 55-62gr... others Sierra / Lapua
    Primers plinking ..wolf...others CCI

brass as others said can find it everywhere.. got a crap load in 50 cal cans

-Rock

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    HBARs are usually a 1:7 or 1:9 twist. He can use 55gr and up without issue. Beware internet load data! The heavier you go with your bullet weight, the lower your charge will be. Use published data from a reputable source or don't try it. Start with the beginning load and work up, you know the drill.

That said, I use 52, 55, 62, 69 and 75 grain bullets from different manufacturers depending on the AR I'm using at the time. Just found a good load for my Bull barrel AR this weekend. A few more batches will get me closer to where I want to be.

As for powders, I use AA2230, H335, Varget and IMR4895. The first 2 are primarily .223 (and similar cartridge) powders. lx1x uses Varget to great effect, me, not so much. A lot of trial runs go into a great shooting load tailored for your rifle. Try it in another AR, you probably won't get the same results. I use IMR4895 for my blasting ammo. Stays consistent and is as powerful as I feel comfortable with.

Ball powders are a dream to work with. They flow smoothly and leave room in the case for longer bullets. Varget is extruded powder and a bear to meter, but it is temperature insensitive and can be very accurate. It will pretty much fill the case, so no chance of a double charge.

For primers, I use CCI400. It seems everyone carries them and they go bang everytime. Never had a slamfire even with the "dreaded" Winchester primers.

Take your time, be attentive to detail, read your data over and over until you understand it. Only then should you attempt to proceed with caution.

Know the relationship between (twist rate/bullet weight/powder charge). It will make things a lot easier and you'll use less components getting to your favorite load.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
    Now I'm off to practice what I preach.:D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    HBARs are usually a 1:7 or 1:9 twist. He can use 55gr and up without issue. Beware internet load data! The heavier you go with your bullet weight, the lower your charge will be. Use published data from a reputable source or don't try it. Start with the beginning load and work up, you know the drill.

That said, I use 52, 55, 62, 69 and 75 grain bullets from different manufacturers depending on the AR I'm using at the time. Just found a good load for my Bull barrel AR this weekend. A few more batches will get me closer to where I want to be.

As for powders, I use AA2230, H335, Varget and IMR4895. The first 2 are primarily .223 (and similar cartridge) powders. lx1x uses Varget to great effect, me, not so much. A lot of trial runs go into a great shooting load tailored for your rifle. Try it in another AR, you probably won't get the same results. I use IMR4895 for my blasting ammo. Stays consistent and is as powerful as I feel comfortable with.

Ball powders are a dream to work with. They flow smoothly and leave room in the case for longer bullets. Varget is extruded powder and a bear to meter, but it is temperature insensitive and can be very accurate. It will pretty much fill the case, so no chance of a double charge.

For primers, I use CCI400. It seems everyone carries them and they go bang everytime. Never had a slamfire even with the "dreaded" Winchester primers.

Take your time, be attentive to detail, read your data over and over until you understand it. Only then should you attempt to proceed with caution.

Know the relationship between (twist rate/bullet weight/powder charge). It will make things a lot easier and you'll use less components getting to your favorite load.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
    Now I'm off to practice what I preach.:D

hey.. let me know when you going again to MG.. i'll let you shoot few rounds of my loads on your hbar.

i still need to get me a chrono.. i load mine per sierra's book - suppossedly 2700fps their accuracy load for an AR.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    i can get it to sub moa at 100 yards (just depending on my shooting mood) on my 20" 1:9 hbar.

I got quite a few MOA or less on Sunday. Very happy with a few of those H335, 52gr SMK loads.

I need new Varget. The last open bottle I have has been sitting in the garage for years.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom