Anyone loading 200gr Maker Rex in 300 blackout subs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    Is anyone loading 200gr Maker Rex in 300 blackout subs? My question is what C.O.L. are you using? I am using 1680. The rifle is an AR.
    Thanks

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Do you already have another known load that you have used successfully already? The reason I ask is when I’m developing a new load with limited info I’ll often try to determine the seating depth, first then work backwards to the COAL. In theory if the weight is same and the charge is the same as a previous successful load, the interior case volume and charge pressures should also be similar. Then I check the overall length and make sure it’a still within spec. Since this is a truncated hollow point type, you should be .008-.010 shorter than a standard projectile like a Hornady A-Max.

You could also check your reloading manuals for another load where the projectile in the book is very similar to the size and weight of the new one and base your test loads from there as well.

One more factor is the type of rifle of course. You’ll have a lot more flexibility with exact load in a bolt action than semi-auto.

I’d also start 10% lower than the calculations. Then check for proper function and pressure signs along with confirming you getting somewhere around 1030-1050fps velocity.

I just checked their site and they don’t show a diagram of the projectile or the length, but the comments from previous purchasers seem to indicate that their customer service is excellent and they appear to have advised several users on reloading specs. It may be worth giving them a call.

Lastly, I hadn’t hear about this brand before so I’m curious to get your first hand report. I’ve got a night hog hunt in Georgia in my future so these may be good rounds to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Call/email Paul Hendricksen and tell him what firearm you’re shooting it from, he’ll tell you exactly what you need (powder, primer, COAL, etc).

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I spoke with the owner of Maker Bullets by phone today. C.O.L. is 2.1" the powder charge he recommended I start at is 10.7 with accurate 1680.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I spoke with the owner of Maker Bullets by phone today. C.O.L. is 2.1" the powder charge he recommended I start at is 10.7 with accurate 1680.

FWIW, when first testing subsonic, you should try to start the ladder supersonic and work downwards. It all depends on your barrel length, gas system, buffer and BCG weight, etc., so you don't want to leave a slug stuck in the barrel during the testing. I would personally start with 12.5gr of A1680 for about a 1200fps load, and work down towards the 10.7gr..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom