• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If you can get a Mini-14 with an original factory folding stock (like in the picture) for under $1,000 I would say grab it. That stock has been out of production for many years and just by itself is worth around 600 dollars. If it's the direct copy of the original Ruger folding stock by Lone Star even then the stock's worth around 300 bucks by itself.

In my opinion, in general terms the Mini-14 is better than an SKS for accuracy, but not up to the accuracy standards of the AR platform. Around 2001 Ruger retooled the Mini-14 assembly line. Those guns made after that are supposed to have better accuracy. Anything with a 580- or greater serial number prefix was made after the revamp.

I have two, one is a 1996 Ranch Rifle and the other is a 2004 GB (Government Barrel). Both are great shooters but the GB is more accurate. One thing about the older Ranch Rifles is the tiny flip-up rear peep sight does suck, but a twenty dollar Williams replacement that takes 30 seconds to change on cures that easy.

Those who know me will tell you I am not a Ruger fan at all but I love my Mini-14's and 10/22.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ok I will admit I am wrong, even though I have personally been at the counter when four or five people got treated as regulated.

Regardless, order a standard model and find a stock someone has to carry the factory stocks out there.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ok I will admit I am wrong, even though I have personally been at the counter when four or five people got treated as regulated.

Regardless, order a standard model and find a stock someone has to carry the factory stocks out there.

I've no doubt that many places look at the Ranch Rifle, see a semi-auto with a removable magazine and assume it's regulated. I was actually very surprised to find out that it wasn't.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    Isn't the mini 14 more like the m1 carbine than the M-14?

The Mini-14 was modeled after the M-14. The look quite similar, especially the Mini-14 tactical (standard stock).

Attachments

• m14rifle.jpg
      m14rifle.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 86
    • mini-14_tactical.jpg
      mini-14_tactical.jpg
      4.4 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members