Anyone in Bel Air willing to help get me started?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoveToShoot

Jun 4, 2015
    Bel Air, Md
    I posted last week in the Sticky thread wondering if anyone is in the Bel Air area that is willing to help me get started but I know everyone doesn't read this section as it was started sometime ago. I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy and realize the advantages to reloading but don't want to buy a setup on my own without talking to some of you experts first. If anyone is close and willing to give me a few pointers for equipment/lessons I would greatly appreciate it and would be willing to offer some sort of compensation (within reason of course). And for the record, most people that meet me don't think that I'm that much of an A-hole.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Unfortunately I am not close to you nor would I consider myself experienced to teach reloading to another but I would like to pass this along for what it is worth.
    When the time comes to start purchasing equipment there is tons of stuff on eBay and alot of it is in like new condition. I have purchased most of my stuff through eBay and the majority of it came from items found at estate sales in nib condition at a small fraction of the price had I bought new. My theory is money saved on tools and equipment can be used to buy expendable supplies like powder, primers and bullets.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    You have a lot of options on equipment. Yes you can find deals on eBay but is getting harder every day. I would recommend you finding a good quality starting kit from RCBS or Hornady. Yes Lee makes good stuff to but this is what I recommend. Make sure you get dies and shell holders for the calibers you wish to reload as they don't come with the kit. Now This is key "BUY A RELOADING BOOK OR 3" read them and then reread them. I have 5 or 6 reloading manuals and I'm getting ready to get another. You can never have to many. I'm sure I've missed something and someone chime in. Most important is to follow all instructions in the books and have fun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not far away and willing to help.

When are you looking at getting started?

If you want to start by meeting and talking, I would be available next weekend.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You have a lot of options on equipment. Yes you can find deals on eBay but is getting harder every day. I would recommend you finding a good quality starting kit from RCBS or Hornady. Yes Lee makes good stuff to but this is what I recommend. Make sure you get dies and shell holders for the calibers you wish to reload as they don't come with the kit. Now This is key "BUY A RELOADING BOOK OR 3" read them and then reread them. I have 5 or 6 reloading manuals and I'm getting ready to get another. You can never have to many. I'm sure I've missed something and someone chime in. Most important is to follow all instructions in the books and have fun.

Excellent advice, and indeed key.

Before you start thinking about equipment, and get bombarded with names like Lee and Lyman and RCBS and Hornady and Redding and Dillon amongst others as the holy grail of reloading? Before you start learning terms like single stage and turret and progressive in relation to presses? The very first piece of "equipment" a new reloader will ideally want to purchase is a good reloading manual. It's the one piece of reloading equipment that should be prerequisite to any other, and the very best 20 bucks you'll ever spend on your new pursuit. A good first manual, both to begin to learn the many facets of the reloading process initially and for later and constant reference, would be Lyman's 49th edition. It will provide many answers. More importantly, it will allow you to begin to understand the reloading process itself, and the concerns related to manufacturing your own ammunition. It will assist you initially with understanding just exactly what questions to ask regarding next steps specific to what you yourself may want and need to accomplish. Part of that process involves what equipment you'll need to help you to implement your own specific goals. Reloading is a game where your very best equipment is and will always be your ultimate understanding of the reloading process, and what's involved in manufacturing safe and top quality cartridges.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I am not far away and willing to help.

When are you looking at getting started?

If you want to start by meeting and talking, I would be available next weekend.

Pinecone knows his stuff, and if for any reason he is unavailable then I am willing to help.

LoveToShoot

Jun 4, 2015
    Bel Air, Md
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking to reload .223 right now and unless something drastically changes that's all I'm going to be doing in the near future. I'm looking to get started now so I can adjust my schedule to meet you...just name the time and place. I'm a LEO and generally work M-F but with everything that is going on in the city, that changes in a moment's notice.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Let's keep in touch, and see about getting together next week to talk about equipment and what is needed for you to get started.

Then once you get your stuff, I will be happy to spend some time with you when you start loading to help you.

We can also talk about supplies, mainly powder. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom