• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Just curious, anyone here CERT trained?? I have tried the local government links, the email keeps bouncing back. Suggestions?

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I have an email into the MEMA director in Harford County. If I ever hear back (am SURE they as quite busy) I will forward the info here.. was hoping to talk to someone who has done it already

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    I don't think there are a lot of active CERT teams in the area right now. I know that the Mayor's Office of Volunteerism in DC has a rather large CERT program, but I'm not sure how many active members they have. I'm an instructor for the group so once we get everything back on line I'll make an announcement if people are interested.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Different degrees of it, I took the initial training along with several members from here in AA county about 3 years ago. Self study and then a 2 day hands on course with first aid, search and rescue exercises, handling putting out small fires, using leverage to move large weight with fulcrums and building blocks. Still have the cert and ID and even attended a local meeting or 2, actually just got an email about one this Tuesday.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Just curious, anyone here CERT trained?? I have tried the local government links, the email keeps bouncing back. Suggestions?

I'm CERT trained. Contact your local fire department, they usually have the grant funding to provide the training.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Old-ish thread, but relevant info.

For our NoVa brethren that might be interested, the City of Alexandria has what seems to be an active CERT system run through the fire department. They're running two sessions right now, one night a week, three hours a night (7-10ish), for approx eight weeks. We're about halfway in right now - we've done basic disaster preparedness/awareness, fire safety, mass casualty triage, and basic medical treatment (opening the airway, stopping bleeding, splinting, recognition and treatment of a few conditions like hypothermia, etc). Basic search and rescue is this week.

I don't think they're letting new people in the current sessions because we're so far in, but they seem to start new classes fairly regularly. Once you graduate, the Coordinator said you have the option of just leaving your e-mail and getting requests for volunteers every so often with no requirement, or you can sign up to be on a regular team which gives you more advanced training but has an hours commitment (we haven't discussed the commitment in class yet other than it exists).

If you're interested, the POC info is on the CERT page here. Kim is pretty responsive, judging by the times I've e-mailed her, even over a couple of weekends. You also don't have to live within the city limits - I live just outside the Beltway in what is technically Fairfax county, but have an Alexandria postal address, so she said I was good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom