• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Seriously, your asking a question that could affect you liberty - on the internet?

I suggest if you are really interested, that you contact a lawyer and pay them to research the question for you.

Good luck

Jerry

Again, I was really just wondering about the level of harassment or hassle - if anyone had any personal experience doing it. I wasn't really asking a legal question.

But yes, I agree, one shouldn't generally ask for legal advice on the interwebz. After all, someone might cite a code that's been outdated for several decades.

So, I wonder where I could find a lawyer....

:facepalm:

-Rob, Esq.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Rob Esquire,

IMHO it all come down to the officer(s) who confront the carrier of said edged device. As stated above it also matters where you are: downtown Baltimore, Cumberland, Annapolis or Cristfield.

I also deleted my post referencing outdated Article 27 which was the law when I went to MSP academy.

Again

Good luck with you quest.

Jerry

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Last year when I was in Baghdad I started carrying a Gerber boot knife (fixed blade, double edged); very handy for just about anything. There it was for defense and as a tool when I needed a blade to cut something; here it would be for the same, a defensive tool on my boot all the time, handy in the garden for cutting, etc.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    It is true that Maryland issues what is labeled as a "Permit to Carry a Handgun," which allows the permit holder to carry a handgun without violating the general handgun anti-carry law, Criminal Law Article Section 4-203. But the statute that prohibits carrying a concealed "dangerous weapon" (such as a fixed-blade knife), CLA Article Section 4-101, which Andras has quoted above, also contains an explicit exception for anyone who holds such a handgun permit. So yes, as a handgun permit holder, you can also carry a concealed fixed-blade knife, without violating state law.

ThatIsAFact

Oh factual one,
    You did notice that Jim lists Northern Virginia as his location I'm sure.
    So what are the VA laws that have some bearing on what Jim said?

Jxman25

Aug 8, 2011
    ive never been a big fan of folders. so i got a strider and like it. but i still reverted to wanting a fixed blade. So i bought a AG Russell sting from CRKT. its very small but has some weight to it. Its made out of one peice of 1050 and has a good heat treat from wat i can tell. i dident like the ankle sheath it came with so i made a kydex sheath and integrated a boot clip to it. carry it every day and love it. jesse

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Arlington 5-0 gave me crap about folding Kershaw..so maybe VA knife laws aren't that great. Of course Arlington is comparable to Rockville or Columbia, or that I was from Maryland.

DNR doesn't seem to care about fixed blades if you're out fishing/boating.

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    I would like to know the level of harassment as well. Living in Maryland, with CCW currently out of the question, I would like to know if the "next best thing" is a viable option.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Well, I carry a fixed blade everyday in MD. I have for years now, find folders sort of unreliable in comparison. I am a contractor so I use my blades at work all day. I've never been hassled at all by LEOs about it. In my travels I've asked a few cops their takes on it. Most all of them state that if your not waving it around or using it as a weapon your generally ok. In other words, don't attract unnecessary attention to yourself.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It is true that Maryland issues what is labeled as a "Permit to Carry a Handgun," which allows the permit holder to carry a handgun without violating the general handgun anti-carry law, Criminal Law Article Section 4-203. But the statute that prohibits carrying a concealed "dangerous weapon" (such as a fixed-blade knife), CLA Article Section 4-101, which Andras has quoted above, also contains an explicit exception for anyone who holds such a handgun permit. So yes, as a handgun permit holder, you can also carry a concealed fixed-blade knife, without violating state law.

ThatIsAFact

That's true. But be aware of city or county knife laws. Those are not preempted.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Holy necrothread!

My advice: want to carry a fixed blade concealed for SD purposes? Have someone make you a kydex sheath for your OPENED folder of choice. Then just carry it concealed. You're now not carrying a fixed blade knife, just an opened folder. Perhaps not as robust as a fixed blade, but more accessible than a folded folder. But I am not a lawyer.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Sometimes I carry a TOPS scalpel instead of a folder. (I live in New Hampshire, now. Live Free or Die.)

jaa_7906_large_.jpg

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    carried a fixed blade for years. contact w/ police on numerous occasions. knife was discussed often w/ officer. nothing came of it. if they can see it, it isn't illegal. if they can't see it, it doesn't matter.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I EDCed a couple small fixed blades for a couple years, still do on occasion, up here it's legal, in MD I just tuck my shirt in, and never had a problem. I went back to EDCing pocket clip folders though, just more convenient, and my decent folders are more than capable of anything I need a knife for.

Love my little Boker/Mozier Trigonaught though, it's a tank, but carries about as easy as any fixed blade can.

20170208_135320.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have been open carrying a fixed blade for the last 3 years. I have had no issues.

Don't do that on a college campus if HB156 passes (I think it is 156). It doesn't just ban firearms on all university property, it bans knives and deadly weapons. Which I assume also in this context means axes, baseball bats (sorry softball and baseball teams), hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks and nasty looks.

By university property, the wording of the law is ALL state university property. That includes agricultural research properties and such forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom