• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I saw one post about it, but I'm sure others have bought one? What do you think about it? I know they are expensive relative to typical AK variants, but I don't care about the cost. I kick myself every day that I sold my Bulgarian Arsenal before I moved to MD.

I read somewhere that there was some confusion on whether the rifle is legal in MD, even though the dealers were selling it. Was that ever clarified?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I saw one post about it, but I'm sure others have bought one? What do you think about it? I know they are expensive relative to typical AK variants, but I don't care about the cost. I kick myself every day that I sold my Bulgarian Arsenal before I moved to MD.

I read somewhere that there was some confusion on whether the rifle is legal in MD, even though the dealers were selling it. Was that ever clarified?

It be banned.
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

IWI
    IWI GALIL ACE
    Banned Copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon. 10/18/2016
    IWI
    IWI GALIL ACE SAR
    Banned Copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon. 10/18/2016

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I'm trying to understand this better - had thought that the ACE is significantly different from the baseline euro Kalashnikov design that there was no chance of parts commonality or interchangeability. Additionally, it's substantially different than the old Galils that I had seen in the past. Could someone in the know explain this? Or is this a simple arbitrary decision by people that assumed copycat status from the name alone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm trying to understand this better - had thought that the ACE is significantly different from the baseline euro Kalashnikov design that there was no chance of parts commonality or interchangeability. Additionally, it's substantially different than the old Galils that I had seen in the past. Could someone in the know explain this? Or is this a simple arbitrary decision by people that assumed copycat status from the name alone?

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I believe quite a few of these were hotly anticipated and sold before the aforementioned arbitrary decision....

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Is there a way to work through a reversal of such a decision - any of the IPs done such a thing? Has that ever occurred once something made it to the list?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Is there a way to work through a reversal of such a decision - any of the IPs done such a thing? Has that ever occurred once something made it to the list?

I believe a few rifles have been removed from the list or "unbanned" so to speak. Duffy's and engage would be good places to talk to. My recollection is they're both pretty miffed with the arbitrary list.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Its banned in its stock configuration, if you switch out the FH and put a comp or Muzzle break you're good to go.

Yep, that's the other thing. There are a few rifles that are banned bc of evil features or OAL that can be modified to make legal. Ps90 and Tavor come to mind.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Yep, that's the other thing. There are a few rifles that are banned bc of evil features or OAL that can be modified to make legal. Ps90 and Tavor come to mind.

Some of us had them before they were "officially banned", since then we all lost them in boating accidents :D

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Its banned in its stock configuration, if you switch out the FH and put a comp or Muzzle break you're good to go.

Ooooh, so it's one of those things. Got it, thanks.

If the rifle can be sold in a non-banned configuration it makes sense to ask a question about this rifle, and this thread seemed like a good place to do it.

Those that bought the ACE: the top cover - which doubles as a rail - how well does that hold zero for a CQB optic? If this is a Kalashnikov system then the top rail gets removed prior to cleaning - is re-zeroing of a CQB optic required? Not a 1000yd rifle, I get that, but still?

Also, how likely that the top cover will lose its tightness to the rifle over time and become more similar to the looseness of a normal AK dust cover?

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county

The Galil ACE (308) I purchased on/around 11/16 was good to go. I agree there is a lot of confusion as that particular rifle isn’t annotated on the MSP list (at the time). Just the AR and ARM models are.

I called Engage at that time and was told that yes there were/are legal but they would remove the FH before leaving the store. As it is assembled with a muzzle break from the factory, I inquired why they would do that. I got a “Well” we can’t confirm that, a quick call to the factory in Harrisburg could.

I politely suggested that they look in the owner’s manual of one they had to confirm as the parts lists has it annotated as a muzzle break. There is a lot of disinformation, bad information and just plain ignorance on the issue. I understand that LGS have to dot the eyes and cross the tees, but to remove a piece of the rifle without even bothering to call the factory or check a document they have in store is rather absurd.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Those that bought the ACE: the top cover - which doubles as a rail - how well does that hold zero for a CQB optic? If this is a Kalashnikov system then the top rail gets removed prior to cleaning - is re-zeroing of a CQB optic required? Not a 1000yd rifle, I get that, but still?

Also, how likely that the top cover will lose its tightness to the rifle over time and become more similar to the looseness of a normal AK dust cover?

Top cover is SUPER tight and holds zero. In fact it's so tight you need a rubber mallet to reinstall it.

I doubt the top cover will ever get "loose"; maybe after a ton of use it will be able to be reinstalled without a mallet.

I havent shot mine yet, but I can attest to the cover being VERY tight. With that said, I have seen a lot of people that will run a red dot on the gas tube rail. Im not sure if that is for proper placement of the sight or because it will hold zero better.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Regardless of what the MSP might think, there's no way on earth that the ACE is a "copy" of the original Galil. There's a lot of parts incompatibilities between the two, including some fundamental bits like the bolt carrier, magazines, stock assembly, and receiver insert. The 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 versions are banned as copycats in factory form, at least until you pull the flash hiders or fix the stocks.

The problem with the Galil has never really been the top cover holding zero - it's in real tight even on the original Galils. It's the topcover retaining zero after removal and reinstallation. The ACE has a design change near the front of the topcover rail that is supposed to solve the problem with reinstallation in a somewhat similar fashion to the TWS Dogleg system. Gas tube rail is a possibility, but speaking as a guy who runs one, I'm skeptical that they're really any more stable. I always felt the handguard mount rails had the most potential, but were also the heaviest and the most expensive option.

I think all of the ACE models are great examples of the ultimate evolution of the AK platform from a good company with excellent QC, and are appealing on that basis. I think they'd be more mass market at $1300, but if they're content with sales, I'm happy for them. If I didn't have a mortgage and private school tuition for two kids to pay, I'd own all three (and an X95, and a Hadar II).

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    This is a seriously depressing thread.
    The Galil Ace was about the only new rifle on the market I had any interest in buying. :mad54::tdown:
    God I hate the MD. Government and the slime that runs it.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    The problem with the Galil has never really been the top cover holding zero - it's in real tight even on the original Galils. It's the topcover retaining zero after removal and reinstallation. The ACE has a design change near the front of the topcover rail that is supposed to solve the problem with reinstallation in a somewhat similar fashion to the TWS Dogleg system. Gas tube rail is a possibility, but speaking as a guy who runs one, I'm skeptical that they're really any more stable. I always felt the handguard mount rails had the most potential, but were also the heaviest and the most expensive option.

This aligns with my impression as well from visiting Duffy's the other day... My preference would be for the optic to be on the top cover, but removing that for every cleaning is not great. One of the reasons I haven't gotten the ACE yet... The 556xi isn't really what I'd want either. If the M+M MX10 takes off that would be an interesting alternative to the ACE, but it's feels strange to purchase something that niche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom