• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    People have been saying that pickin's are slim at the stores for over e year now. I think they may have suspended proxy buyers too for a while but that may have been just during the matches. Best would be just to order and roll the dice. If you don't like it you can resell for the same amount anyway.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I am selling some of my extensive Garand inventory, but not at CMP prices, of course. I have owned over 90 Garands, have a fair idea of how to evaluate and price them and would be happy to work with you, or advise you.

I have two up on GunBroker at this time, and intend to sell 5-10 more in the coming months. I own all the manufacturers and many variations, from Field grade to Collector grade, and might have something that would meet your needs. Most of what I am advertising now are Springfield Armory, WWII vintage; some come with CMP paper, most do not.

I also compete with Garands and I shoot them well. An advantage you'd get is the chance to view and handle the rifle, and perhaps shoot it at the AGC range complex on Marriottsville Road.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)

tylerevans42

May 31, 2015
    It doesn't take much to become eligible to buy one through the mail and I am very pleased with the fiel grade I purchased from them. Solid tack driver.

Even if you order one and its a POS, (it's a garand, how can it really be that bad??) you can return it and they will send you another one. That happened to my buddy.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    It doesn't take much to become eligible to buy one through the mail and I am very pleased with the fiel grade I purchased from them. Solid tack driver.

Even if you order one and its a POS, (it's a garand, how can it really be that bad??) you can return it and they will send you another one. That happened to my buddy.

a lot of people prefer not to wait 3-6 months for the rifle to finally arrive after paying for it. ;)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    a lot of people prefer not to wait 3-6 months for the rifle to finally arrive after paying for it. ;)

That may be true. But anyone would be upset to drive there only to find bare shelves, no? I know you said you were passing by which is one thing but a dedicated trip only to come home empty handed is worse than the wait IMO.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    That may be true. But anyone would be upset to drive there only to find bare shelves, no? I know you said you were passing by which is one thing but a dedicated trip only to come home empty handed is worse than the wait IMO.

True.

However, they do have a phone number. I suppose an interested party could call that and ask what's on the racks before committing to the drive. ;)

Pros and cons to each. Being in possession of one of my SBRs for the trip means I'll have to wait until after I get to TX, then later on pick a friday right after class and hit the road, maybe pitch a tent overnight, and visit the store on a Saturday. Calling first, of course, to make sure there's some rifles available. :D

EDIT: My other (more likely) option would be to mail the SBR lower to myself back here in MD when school is over, and stop through Anniston on the way home. Having called first, naturally ;)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    CMP doesn't charge your credit card until it ships. They're not sitting on anyones money during the wait.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    CMP doesn't charge your credit card until it ships. They're not sitting on anyones money during the wait.

Well, given how well OPM guarded the ridiculous amounts of personal information entrusted to them by anyone with a clearance, I'm not exactly sure I want/need another government office sitting on credit card information. ;)

(yes, I realize they haven't been 'technically' a government office since, what, 1996 or so? but i promise you they use the bare minimum standard for data protection which, as we've seen in recent years, hovers around "atrocious". :innocent0 )

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    True.

However, they do have a phone number. I suppose an interested party could call that and ask what's on the racks before committing to the drive. ;)

Pros and cons to each. Being in possession of one of my SBRs for the trip means I'll have to wait until after I get to TX, then later on pick a friday right after class and hit the road, maybe pitch a tent overnight, and visit the store on a Saturday. Calling first, of course, to make sure there's some rifles available. :D

EDIT: My other (more likely) option would be to mail the SBR lower to myself back here in MD when school is over, and stop through Anniston on the way home. Having called first, naturally ;)

You make a valid point. A phone call ahead of time may save one considerable effort.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Call first.

Or check out the threads on the CMP Forum.

No more agent sales, you have to buy for yourself. But the differences in a Grade level are small. Get the highest grade you can afford (or buy two of a lower grade).

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Current sales seem to be moving faster than that. Here are a couple of recent posts from the CMP Forum Garand section in the New Order Timeline Thread (it is in the stickies):
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=28081&page=1000

Post 9996 posted Sept. 1st 2015 (10 days):
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=1349025&postcount=9996
    My service grade that I ordered on 8/23 will be delivered tomorrow. It's a Springfield serial number 3075909. I am told August 1944. Ill have it tomorrow.

Post 9997 posted Sept. 1st 2015 (19 Days):
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=1349026&postcount=9997

My first order and first Garands!

Order: Service Grade x 2
    Sent: 7/28/2015 (snail mail)
    Received: 8/1/15
    DBU: 8/5/15
    Estore: 8/5/15
    Shipped: 8/14/15
    Received: 8/15/2015

SN: 214,xxx (April '41)
    SN: 2,150,xxx (Nov '43)