Anyone go to the inaugural AGC 3-gun match?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    It was terrific!!! Greenbelt did a great job designing and running the show. Large steel poppers to knock down with buckshot. Great shooting scenario's. It was a lot of fun.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ??????????????????????????

Were these steel poppers at 100 yards? Was the buckshot fired from muzzleloaders?

??????????????????????

Enquiring Minds are Baffled.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    It was done at the 200 yard range starting with rifles. Then go down range for the different scenario's: close in for shotgun, shooting slugs and buckshot, then pistols. Bikebreath did a great job shooting!

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I understand it was a trial run and that if successful, there would be more in the future. Subject to approval by the board of trustees of course. Could be very interesting, especially if ammo would become more available on the market.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    It was a club shoot for Greenbelt and Arlington club members and guests. Greenbelt ran the show. It was a great event to test the water and prove the concept that a 3 gun can be done safely. Everyone had a great time. Kudo's to Greenbelt for doing an outstanding job.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Uh, wha...ok, I was napping..

tball invited me as a guest, then he had to manage another shoot else where.

It was done at the 200 yard range starting with rifles. Then go down range for the different scenario's: close in for shotgun, shooting slugs and buckshot, then pistols. Bikebreath did a great job shooting!

Hell no, I didn't really shoot that well at all :).

I did better on rifle and worse on shotgun than I thought I'd do.

I got there early and helped set up and the poppers seemed like the would go down with birdshot after playing with them. Not so. It only made then move like a breeze had gone past...(earlier a breeze HAD knocked them down :sad20: ) It was set up for 00 buck and I didn't want to hurt my girly shoulder. I was using 7.5 or 8 shot and another guy there had #4 shot and was able to knock 2 of them over.

I'll elaborate on what tball has said...This was one long stage. You start off with unloaded pistol on you hip, shotgun on a table next to you unloaded and rifle in you hands unloaded. At the whistle, you load the rifle with 7 rounds and shoot off hand at 200 yds., then any position with another 7 rounds and I went pron.

Pick up the rifle and shotgun and walk forward to the 50 yd line and shoot 7 rounds with the rifle at the same target from behind a barrier. Load 7 more and do it again, change position if you want. Make the the rifle safe and lay it on a table.

Take the shotgun, walk forward and load and shoot 5 slugs at 50 yds at idpa-like targets, load 5 more and shoot again...every one got 2 slugs each. Shotgun empty you moved laterally and forward and shot at poppers at 25 yds...with 00 buck if you knew what was good for you :) Make the shotgun safe and lay it on a table.

Move forward, right in front of the targets you engaged with rifle and from about 30 yds you load 7 rounds in you pistol and shoot any of the 5 possible targets, load 7 more and shoot those targets again while advancing.

I'm not sure I liked the idea of buckshot or the walking. I say, "not sure", so it doesn't sound like I'm complaining. It's always fun to go shooting. I had fun and since it was free and done just to get a sense of what could be done at a range that has taken so long to get around to action shooting, I don't want to complain. You have to crawl before you walk...and at least we were able to walk :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom