• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I'm just getting back into fly fishing after a 25 year hiatus. Last year I got back into it, but had mixed success. Caught some perch, blue gill and trout, but dealing with equipment issues, which I think I got figured out.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Where?

I did it back in my teen years, and I've been hankering to get back into it. Maybe from a kayak.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I went out Wednesday to a fly fishing only stream. First time in close to 20 years. Creek was really low and I found a few feeding fish, but had no luck. Although I used to guide on this stream, I rarely fished this late in the season. Normally I would have been using 8x-9x tippet, but as rusty as I am, I was only risking 7x. I did not lose any flies though. Lol

Where do you like fish frdfandc?

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I went out Wednesday to a fly fishing only stream. First time in close to 20 years. Creek was really low and I found a few feeding fish, but had no luck. Although I used to guide on this stream, I rarely fished this late in the season. Normally I would have been using 8x-9x tippet, but as rusty as I am, I was only risking 7x. I did not lose any flies though. Lol

Where do you like fish frdfandc?

I'm in Cecil County so I have a few spots I want to try, but also fish Deer Creek in Harford County, below the dam. Mostly streams, creeks, small rivers and ponds.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm in Cecil County so I have a few spots I want to try, but also fish Deer Creek in Harford County, below the dam. Mostly streams, creeks, small rivers and ponds.
    You are a ways from me. I'm in MoCo.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I used to do quite a bit of fly fishing for trout in central to western MD. streams. Main places were Little Patuxent river in Howard/ Montgomery Counties. When I started fishing there it was a trophy trout stream. Ine fish could be taken over 18" per day. Just would catch and release. I also liked Morgan Run. I have seen the stream change quite a bit through the years from flooding and such. I also worked into saltwater fly fishing for perch and rockfish. Its a really relaxing sport.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't mind traveling to try out new spots. What are some of your favorite spots? Not familiar with MoCo.
    Like mauser58, I started on the Patuxent. It's only 10 minutes from my house. It used to hold a decent population of wild browns along with a stocking program that puts(?) rainbows and browns. Not sure what's going on there now. I have fished Morgan Run a couple times. I used to fish the hell out of Big Hunting Creek in Thurmont where I guided as well. Done a bunch of western Maryland streams including Savage river and a few brookie streams out there.

Also tarpon in Florida and salmon and trout in Alaska. Also stripers in the bay.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I fly fish deer creek occasionally. I enjoy this time of year catching the sunfish on dry flys. Did gunpowder once last year. I went to Montana for 4 days with my father in law and did a couple of real nice floats. Pics are in the fishing thread.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I fly fish deer creek occasionally. I enjoy this time of year catching the sunfish on dry flys. Did gunpowder once last year. I went to Montana for 4 days with my father in law and did a couple of real nice floats. Pics are in the fishing thread.
    I saw those pics. Very nice. Other than Alaska, I've never fished "out west". My brother got married standing in a trout stream in Colorado, lol.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't mind traveling to try out new spots. What are some of your favorite spots? Not familiar with MoCo.
    I'm not averse to traveling either through. I used to fish the Susquehanna flats with Mike Kritser.
    I'm not sure how well my casting would be on a big rod these days after tearing my casting shoulder up. I know tarpon are off my list. Lol

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I'm not averse to traveling either through. I used to fish the Susquehanna flats with Mike Kritser.
    I'm not sure how well my casting would be on a big rod these days after tearing my casting shoulder up. I know tarpon are off my list. Lol
    When I can afford it, I'd like to get a new 8wt so I can fish for rockfish

Sent from my SM-A037U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When I can afford it, I'd like to get a new 8wt so I can fish for rockfish

Sent from my SM-A037U using Tapatalk
    Temple Fork Outfitters
    Don't waste your money on a Sage. They are every bit as good and a lot cheaper. BPS carries them.
    I fought and landed this 40# king on mine after a 1.5 hour battle.

View attachment 421370

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    I fly fish Deer Creek often. I went upstream from Forge Hill Road yesterday evening and caught quite a few 10"-12" smallmouth. Deer Creek has surprising number of holdover trout too, especially above Eden Mill. For trout I mostly go up to Tuscarora State Forest for small stream brook trout fishing. The streams in Michaux State Forest are good too. I prefer solitude to big fish so I avoid the Gunpowder, Yellow Breeches, Letort, etc. I cut my annual week on Kettle Creek short early last month because of low water and high water temperatures. All of those high gradient streams were suffering from the drought.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I fly fish Deer Creek often. I went upstream from Forge Hill Road yesterday evening and caught quite a few 10"-12" smallmouth. Deer Creek has surprising number of holdover trout too, especially above Eden Mill. For trout I mostly go up to Tuscarora State Forest for small stream brook trout fishing. The streams in Michaux State Forest are good too. I prefer solitude to big fish so I avoid the Gunpowder, Yellow Breeches, Letort, etc. I cut my annual week on Kettle Creek short early last month because of low water and high water temperatures. All of those high gradient streams were suffering from the drought.
    I know what you mean. I usually fished Yellow Breeches in the winter. Never much of a crowd then.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    The last few years we actually caught a few browns in deer creek. They haven't stocked those in years. So they are naturally occurring now.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any one into euro nmphying? Seems to be the latest trend, I’m looking to get started.
    Mostly what I do is nymph fish, sometimes similar to the euro method, sometimes with strike indicator and shot. It depends on the water I'm fishing.

Euro nymphing reminds me a lot river fishing, either tidal or just moving water, for bass. That was really how I started out fly fishing for trout.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I fly fish Deer Creek often. I went upstream from Forge Hill Road yesterday evening and caught quite a few 10"-12" smallmouth. Deer Creek has surprising number of holdover trout too, especially above Eden Mill. For trout I mostly go up to Tuscarora State Forest for small stream brook trout fishing. The streams in Michaux State Forest are good too. I prefer solitude to big fish so I avoid the Gunpowder, Yellow Breeches, Letort, etc. I cut my annual week on Kettle Creek short early last month because of low water and high water temperatures. All of those high gradient streams were suffering from the drougt.

I usually fish Deer Creek closer to the Susquanna, first right off of route 1 after crossing the dam.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Heck yeah - mostly nymphing - usually hit up the Upper Patuxent and South Branch of the Patapsco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom