Anyone familiar with airbrushes and compressors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I want a usable, low cost airbrush & compressor. I know next to nothing about brands, etc. As usual, I would expect you get what you pay for, but for something that will be relatively low use and not too detailed, I can't imagine I need the top of the line...

I am thinking something along the lines of this:
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abdkit-h-set.aspx#tc20t

I wanna make some sweet t-shirts
    huggybears275.jpg

:D

Recommendations?

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    You get what you pay for. Paasche is the best easily-available brand, high quality and internal parts that don't break when you clean it. Spend the money now for a good one, you'll sweat, swear and cry much less in the future. And don't let me hear about you buying some plastic Badger POS... I'd have to hurt you for that. :whip:

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    I do taxidermy work and have used several different brands of air brushes. The testors Aztek is a cheap brush that paints real nice and have a lifetime warranty. They have exchangable tips to get different effects. Unfortunately they break real easy. I think I sent mine back 4 times before I gave up on it. Its a shame because it painted real nice. Then I tried the Paasche and I didn't care for it. It may have just been the model that I bought, but I could never get a real fine line from it. Worked great on fish when I needed to cover a big area with a lot of paint. Then I tried an Iwata brush and I will never use anything else. I can dial it down to get a fine line or open it up to cover an area with a lot of paint. They are a little higher but I think they are really worth it.

As far as a compressor you just need something that will produce about 20-40 psi and be able to maintain that with a draw on it. It really is a pain when you have to wait for the compressor to recharge back up to pressure. So for that the bigger the holding tank the less likely that will happen.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I assume they make fittings that will allow you to hook up an airbrush to a standard compressor? If so, I think this is the route I'll go.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The type of airbrush is more closely controlled by its intended purpose. Cute fuzzy t shirts need a more sophisticated airbrush (I'd recommend a nicer double action) then say guncoating a rifle (a straightforward easy to clean and potentially disposable single action would be the ticket here).

Fuzzy t shirts don't do to hot if you leave them in the oven too long....:lol:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Who said anything about painting guns???;)

Dave any idea if the fittings are out there the run an airbrush of a standard air compressor? I have access to a little pancake compressor for running nailers. Naturally, I'd run an oil/water separator between the compressor and airbrush...

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Get the airbrush you want, and see what type of compressor it recommends. I would imagine for a small brush you wouldn't need a huge tank.

FWIW I got a cheap HPLV "detail" spray gun from Harbor Freight for painting guns. I sort of used it but had to abort the mission as a barrel I was painting fell of my rack onto the driveway... haven't had time to polish out the scratches yet but it seemed to work ok. When I first used it, it wouldn't spray each time you pulled the trigger but I'll keep tweaking it and see if I can get it to work better. Cost me $15 so I don't expect much lol.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I build military models as a hobby (tanks and such), and I use an Iwata airbrush, which I believe is one of the more highly thought of brands. They're not cheap, around $100. But they are awesome. Great control, from pencil thin lines to broad coverage. Mine is the HP-C model, which I think has since been superceded, but they still make a rough equivalent.

My compressor is also a little Iwata Smart Jet, which runs well. I've had both the brush and compressor over 6 years with no issues.

I got both from dixie-art.com. Great customer service...when one of my hose connectors broke, they sent me a new hose, connector, etc., all free of charge 4 years after I bought it.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    For model railroading I use a Paasche double action and a Badger Compressor. Got em from a hobby shop. Had a Badger single action (metal) but the Paasche is mo better.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I used to work at a Hobby shop that sold airbrushes and did a little airbrushing myself

IWATA is hands down the best followed by paasche
    look at what the REAL airbrush pro's use, almost 100% Iwata

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom