• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I am interested in filing a public information request for my delegates to see exactly what the people are saying with regard to guns. I am tired of hearing my delegate say they are against guns when I don't even know if that is what the base is telling them. I sent one of my delegates an email requesting all emails, phone records, and letters relating to guns or guns laws that they may have received from constituents. I also told him that I was prepared to file a PIA if he does not want to hand over the goods.

Anyone ever have any success with something like this? I would love to get a couple hundred emails that are from pro 2a people and only a few dozen from the anti crowd. It would be a strong showing that they are not listening to their base and merely voting with their own values.

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    This sounds like an idea that could apply pressure on these politicians in another way.
    Above all else, these people live with one constant goal, to be re-elected or to move up in the political system.
    The last thing they would want is a specific record of their words, actions and votes being held by citizens waiting for election time, to be used negatively.
    Hell, they probably forget half the things they've said anyway, and probably hope the voters will too.
    I would think that a sudden surge in public information requests, at this point in time, would make some of them feel like they were being put "under a microscope" for a reason.
    If I were sitting in the legislature, about to vote to take away the rights of the people who elected me, I would be very concerned.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Bump, I am getting radio silence from my elected officials and will probably start drafting up my PIA.

Question for some of you who are more in tune with the workings of Nap town, Can the scope of my request include phone records? When Joe Blow calls Delegate X's office and says he is against SB#0000, do they make a note of that anywhere? Like "Joe Blow, 100 main st., against SB0000."

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    This sounds like an idea that could apply pressure on these politicians in another way.
    Above all else, these people live with one constant goal, to be re-elected or to move up in the political system.
    The last thing they would want is a specific record of their words, actions and votes being held by citizens waiting for election time, to be used negatively.
    Hell, they probably forget half the things they've said anyway, and probably hope the voters will too.
    I would think that a sudden surge in public information requests, at this point in time, would make some of them feel like they were being put "under a microscope" for a reason.
    If I were sitting in the legislature, about to vote to take away the rights of the people who elected me, I would be very concerned.

I really want to make that case that the elected officials are not listening to their constituents. I would have to get a zip file with 500 emails AGAINST gun control and 30 FOR GUN CONTROL. It would show that these elected officials are not listening to their constituents. Now, if there are 500 emails for gun control and 50 against it, I will put my foot in my mouth and bitch to you guys that you are not hounding them enough.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Where does it say they are to vote as a representation of the voting population vs in the best interest of voters?

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    might help get them voted out, but don't think it would mean anything in court since they are under no legal obligation to do what the people want.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    might help get them voted out, but don't think it would mean anything in court since they are under no legal obligation to do what the people want.

It will give them bad press at the least.

Anyone have any idea what office is responsible for the house and senates email? If it the legislative services Office of Information Technology? I want to go straight to the source with the PIA.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    IIRC, you have to be fairly specific with your information request. I don't think you'll dig up much, but I wish you the best of luck.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    IIRC, you have to be fairly specific with your information request. I don't think you'll dig up much, but I wish you the best of luck.

I have filed one before to a different MD agency, so I have a little bit of experience. That PIA was for the agencies policy on something. They responded back to be fairly quickly but of course some of what I was looking for was with a different agency. That is why I want to make sure I am sending this to the right people. I don't want to send it to the wrong office and have them say, "Sorry, all we do is this and that, we don't have access to the mail servers."

I might just send it to the offices of the individual delegates too. I would be a bit worried though that they may not send me everything.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"

These people are to be "representatives" of the people, not parents.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Well, not exactly the results I was looking for. So much for transparency. I am glad that the workings of the people who WORK FOR US are considered "privileged."

I whited out my name...

I am going to hit them back with another PIA and request a break down of the 1600 emails they got.

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
      5.2 MB · Views: 78

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Interesting email from the cop. The problem with this 'sampling' is that I don't know how many of each type of email was received. And the more interesting emails aren't the ones from constituents, but the ones from lobbyists and between legislators.

Heck, I'd file a judicial appeal just to monkey with their bogus 'two week retention' policy. That's absurd.

SonicBlue

NRA RSO
    Nov 25, 2009
    Leonardtown
    I am going to hit them back with another PIA and request a break down of the 1600 emails they got.

I think he said they only "retained" 1630 emails so that could mean mostly anti-gun Letters were kept and wouldn't be a fair representation of the split. Typical political stonewalling. However, making such requests must be getting their attention because diverting AG resources is never a minor undertaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom