• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    I have been browsing C&R eligible guns online. I was surprised to find a statement on Widener's web page that says that they will not ship any pistol to a Maryland resident, no exceptions.

I also found another who would not ship a 1911 wide body to Maryland, not even to an 01FFL, because it came with a 14 round magazine.

I am getting ready to go to a gun show in Virginia and I am going to take all of my C&R FFL and other documents with me. Has anyone ever gone to a gun show or store outside of MD and had them turn you away on a C&R purchase for fear of violating some Maryland law that does not apply to the purchase anyway?

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I can't speak to gun show purchases but I have purchased both C&R rifles and pistols from Widners several times with no problems. I think they are referring to not shipping FFL1 pistols only. FFL3 pistols are ok unless they just recently (within the past month) changed their policies.

cz27jim

Sep 27, 2012
    On Widener's web page, if you click on Firearms and Pars, and then click on Handguns, they have the following notice:

No Sales of these items to California, D.C., New York, Cook County IL, Maryland or Massachusetts.
    Orders Placed to these areas are subject to Cancellation Without Notice

However, I just noticed that when I click on C&R Type FFL under Handguns, they have almost the same notice - except they did not include Maryland. I missed that the first time.

It is a bit confusing when you click on Handguns and they flat out say that they will not sell to Maryland, then in the C&R section under Handguns they say otherwise.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I noticed the same thing. It is a bit confusing but I can tell you like the others here they sell very nice things to us Marylanders. :)

Wideners is one of my favorites.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Gentlemen, the blacklisting of MD C&R may have begun! Sarco has denied C&R pistol sales to MD 03 holders for some time but with the crap going on in Annapolis I'm afraid that the floodgates are going to open and soon our 03 licenses will be worthless for pistol acquisitions. At least until the dust clears and everyone knows what's required to sell to MD residents. And even after that I figure many if not most dealers will add us to the list of anti-gun states that they don't want to bother with.
    Pray that it doesn't bleed over onto the long arm side of the ledger. If that comes to fruition then we're all screwed.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have been browsing C&R eligible guns online. I was surprised to find a statement on Widener's web page that says that they will not ship any pistol to a Maryland resident, no exceptions.

I also found another who would not ship a 1911 wide body to Maryland, not even to an 01FFL, because it came with a 14 round magazine.

I am getting ready to go to a gun show in Virginia and I am going to take all of my C&R FFL and other documents with me. Has anyone ever gone to a gun show or store outside of MD and had them turn you away on a C&R purchase for fear of violating some Maryland law that does not apply to the purchase anyway?

It is just ignorance of what the law actually says. 14 rounders are fine, period, but a dealer that sells nationwide would find it hard to keep up with the laws in all 50 states.

They may have just made the business decision that it would be less liability and cheaper in the long run just to cut those of us stranded in MD off.

Stand by, it will only get worse in my opinion. :tdown:

cz27jim

Sep 27, 2012
    I emailed Sarco this morning. I got a reply almost immediately: They will NOT sell any C&R firearm (not just handguns) to a MD resident over-the-counter. The gun must be shipped to MD. I asked for clarification - did they mean that they would ship to my 03FFL address or that they would only ship to a Dealer FFL in my area. No reply yet.

I guess I won't be driving to Easton this weekend.

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    I suppose it could depend on the specific seller, but I have bought both rifles, and pistols, at the Dulles show as a MD resident, using my FFL. No problem walking out with my 1911 from that show...

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    It is just ignorance of what the law actually says. 14 rounders are fine, period, but a dealer that sells nationwide would find it hard to keep up with the laws in all 50 states.

They may have just made the business decision that it would be less liability and cheaper in the long run just to cut those of us stranded in MD off.

Attachments

• cousin-eddie-Bingo.jpg
      cousin-eddie-Bingo.jpg
      4.9 KB · Views: 317

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Gentlemen, the blacklisting of MD C&R may have begun! Sarco has denied C&R pistol sales to MD 03 holders for some time but with the crap going on in Annapolis I'm afraid that the floodgates are going to open and soon our 03 licenses will be worthless for pistol acquisitions. At least until the dust clears and everyone knows what's required to sell to MD residents. And even after that I figure many if not most dealers will add us to the list of anti-gun states that they don't want to bother with.
    Pray that it doesn't bleed over onto the long arm side of the ledger. If that comes to fruition then we're all screwed.

Widener's has had that statement up since I have been doing business with them. Most of my C&R hand guns have come from them, and shipped without any problems. While I understand your point, my concern is how MSP is going to backpedal on the whole C&R handgun vs. regulated firearms deal.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I emailed Sarco this morning. I got a reply almost immediately: They will NOT sell any C&R firearm (not just handguns) to a MD resident over-the-counter. The gun must be shipped to MD. I asked for clarification - did they mean that they would ship to my 03FFL address or that they would only ship to a Dealer FFL in my area. No reply yet.

I guess I won't be driving to Easton this weekend.

I spoke with the folks at Sarco twice this past week. It is their policy that they will NOT ship any C & R guns to Maryland; they will NOT sell any C & R guns face-to-face to a Maryland resident. During our conversation, it was stated by the salesman that it was 'a gray area', so their policy was not to sell. I clarified that they have the right to whatever policy they desire, but legally there is no gray area--Federal law covers intrastate commerce via the Commerce Act and that it is not illegal as I've bought dozens guns from PA dealers and online. When the gentleman started talking about 'didn't you hear about the Civil War--states rights', I politely ended the conversation and emailed Sarco with a letter citing the Commerce Act and sending a copy of the Maryland AG letter about out-of-state C & R purchases.

Haven't hear back from them, but it's not my job to work for THEIR business, it's the other way around, so while I attempted to educate them, that's as far as I'll go. My money for guns and parts will go elsewhere, as my 'policy' will be to do business only with retailers who know the laws and respect my FFL03 license. Sarco is not one of them........

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

When you look at this from the standpoint of a dealer that does nation-wide business, rather than a consumer in MD, it makes a lot more sense. MD has made it clear that they want to do everything they can to make it as difficult as possible for any MD citizen to get ANY firearm.

That's pretty obvious.

To an out-of-state dealer that means that they might end up selling a firearm to a MD resident, then have the MD Atty General's Office haul them into court for some infraction, real or imagined, just to tie them up for awhile. It's not worth the risk to them when most of the rest of the US can still buy firearms under relatively reasonable laws ... at the moment.

The MD taxpayers foot the bill if something like that happens, but the dealer has to pay out of their own pocket if they have to defend themselves. As much as it SUCKS, it's not the dealer's fight. It's a fight for the citizens of MD to have. We can blame the dealer all we want, but it's the MD government that needs to be corrected. They're the ones causing the dealers to have to be cautious (even if we think some are being over-cautious).

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Perhaps, but has there ever been a case where an AG from one state can prosecute a case in another state? I don't think that AG from state A has any jurisdiction in state B. Curran threatened that back a few years ago and was dismissed. It was just a threat although some dealers who didn't know any better believed him. I think to prosecute across state borders requires a higher source than a states' AG (?Federal)

My point is that if the dealers don't want to learn the laws or, when we send them the laws to clarify that they can indeed sell us their C & R guns legally, and still choose not to, fine. That's their business decision, but I won't make it something I 'understand'. It's something THEY don't understand, and they won't get any of my business and I will encourage others to buy from dealers that have gone to the trouble of learning the laws and working for our business.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Tried to purchase a k98 from a shop right across the VA line a few years ago. Got the "deer in the headlights" look from the shop owner when I mentioned my C&R.

Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Docster - we both know that you are 100% right, but the fact of the matter, right now, is that dealers are selling about anything they can get their hands on right now to the 45, or so, states that aren't being run by vote whores who don't care about our rights.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Docster - we both know that you are 100% right, but the fact of the matter, right now, is that dealers are selling about anything they can get their hands on right now to the 45, or so, states that aren't being run by vote whores who don't care about our rights.

True, unfortunately true. But I'm a big believer in Karma--eventually it will come around....:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom