Anyone else's M&P throw brass in their face?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Picked up a 9mm M&P VTAC back in June. I have since put 500 rounds of different ammo down the pipe and have had brass hit me in the face or have had pretty weak and erratic extraction.

The ammo used was:

Rem UMC
    WWB
    Federal Champion
    Independence

Extractor claw is nice and tight but the ejector seems to have a tiny bit of wiggle. It has Smith's new sear block. I keep hearing that it has to do with break in.

Any advice... Besides sending it back to S&W? Thanks

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have had a M&P Pro, 9mm, since 2009 or so. My range ammo is PMC Bronze or Aguila and no issues. When I practice with my serious ammo, Winchester PDX1, no issues.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its been modded? If so S&W may not cover under warranty status.

Its a fixable problem though either through a good smith (Not some parts swapper), or through S&W themselves.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    News to me, I've got the M&P .45 - extraction/ejection has always been rather consistent.

When new I would get the occasional casing that'd fly back over my right shoulder, but not to the face.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Its been modded? If so S&W may not cover under warranty status.

Its a fixable problem though either through a good smith (Not some parts swapper), or through S&W themselves.

No mods by me. S&W changed the design of the block itself. I compared it to my brothers NiB coated version and they are different. Brand new gun.

What kind of turnaround would I be looking at Chad if I dropped it off at Scott's?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    No mods by me. S&W changed the design of the block itself. I compared it to my brothers NiB coated version and they are different. Brand new gun.

What kind of turnaround would I be looking at Chad if I dropped it off at Scott's?

Im swamped currently but if you come by on a friday or saturday when Im there Ill look at it and give you a realistic time frame. Send me a PM the night before to check my "in shop" status", I usually know the night before if Ill be in. If its a simple fix I may just do it while you wait. I have to see it though. If its needs detailed work I may be aboe to turn around in a week or 2.

If its not modded S&W may issue a call tag and pay for the first round of shipping. If they dont pay it can cost you $50-$125.00 shipping it back depending on the carrier. Most require Next Day Air Service which is not cheap.

If they dont cover shipping then come see me and ill see what I can do for you.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Does it have the Gen4 G19 upgrade?

I have an older 9mm no issues. None of my 40's have this issue as well.

It's actually a delightful change going from my Glock to my SW as I dont get brass to the face.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Numidian on here has a girlfriend that had a VTAC that did this. It might have been only when she shot it or when he shot it. It was weird. I'm sure he will chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom